Author Topic: My husband won the bet...  (Read 10422 times)

green.and.blue

My husband won the bet...
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »
...that the get-to-know-your-neighbours girls night I went to last night would be a sales party. The hostess was the mom of my daughter's classmate, and the invite said "get to know you" games, followed by a movie. I figured I would know one, maybe two other people there max since we haven't been here for a year yet, and I actually like the structure of party games when I don't know people rather than small talk, but...

My husband said he bet that it was a sales party. I scrutinitzed the invite for hints, and said he was wrong - no one would spring a surpise sales party on their guests. How would they expect them to be ready to buy anything? Wouldn't they know that people would be annoyed?

I popped a bottle of wine for the hostess in a bag with my indoor shoes and walked over, and saw the jewllery all set up around the kitchen. I put my shoes on, and stayed for a little while, but the wine stayed in the bag! And also...no games, no movie. I beandipped like crazy throughout the party, and left without even taking a catelogue or business card.

My husband was surprised that I didn't just leave right away, and that I wasn't more direct. What would you have done?

Redsoil

Re: My husband won the bet...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:01:47 AM »
I'd have probably done much the same thing.  Bit of a nerve phrasing it as a  "get to know you" party, and then omitting the games and movie!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:02:57 AM »
Well, now you know never to trust her invitations again. :-\ :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
What would you have done?

I would have done what you did and then go home to share the wine with my husband and tell him to get off the computer because I have a story for Ehell. ;D

gingerzing

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »
I would have been sorely tempted upon seeong merchandise spread around to say "Oh, I am so sorry.  I must have gotten the date wrong.  I see you are having a {whatever sales party}.  I thought tonight was the games/movie night.  My mistake.  I will leave you to your customers.".   
Nevermind that unless I know that someone is selling something, I do not normally have my checkbook or money on me.   And no, basic strangers do NOT get my credit card number.

poundcake

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »
I would have been sorely tempted upon seeong merchandise spread around to say "Oh, I am so sorry.  I must have gotten the date wrong.  I see you are having a {whatever sales party}.  I thought tonight was the games/movie night.  My mistake.  I will leave you to your customers.".   
Nevermind that unless I know that someone is selling something, I do not normally have my checkbook or money on me.   And no, basic strangers do NOT get my credit card number.

That's exactly what I would have done, too. I have no patience for sales parties, period. Surprise ones as a bait-and-switch? No way!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
I don't have a problem with sales parties.  I'll go to some and buy something.  I'll go to some just for the company and socialize, perhaps buying something very small.  Others I just say no from the get go.

To walk into a party and suddenly find out it was a sales party?  I'd be furious.  I love gingerzing's comment and would have to hope I could come up with something like that.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
What would you have done?

I would have done what you did and then go home to share the wine with my husband and tell him to get off the computer because I have a story for Ehell. ;D

yep.

I wouldn't have the nerve to just walk out immediately; I'm too conscious of PR.

But what I think *YOU* should do is immediately send an invite to all your neighbors for a "get to know you" girls' night w/ games and a movie, and put detail on the invite (list some games; list a choice of movies), plus a line that says, "No sales pitches, I promise."

See if you get people at YOUR party.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »
Yeah, Gingerzing pretty much sums up what I would have said. No way on earth would I have stayed and sat through the sales pitch.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

MurPl1

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »
I'd be very leery of allowing my daughter to socialize outside of school with this woman's daughter.  If she will flat out lie to get people to come to a sales party, then what other things would she be willing to lie about?

doodlemor

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
You were kind to stay as long as you did, OP.

Miss Manners has said that if one is suddenly confronted with a sales party it is OK to say something like, "Since you are all going to be shopping now, I'm going to run along."

MummySweet

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »
This kind of thing really makes me bristle and it taints the entertaining experience.

This past November (the day after Thanksgiving) we held a big holiday kick-off party.  We invited personal friends, work associates and all of the neighbors in our cul de sac.  We've lived here about 18 months, but there are several neighbors that we haven't met.  The party was a success.  Lots of guests, lots of fun, and  lots of good food.  A few neighbors that we hadn't met came and they were lovely; but, several more didn't come, nor did they send their regrets.  A few weeks later I met one of the neighbors who hadn't come and she apologized for not at least responding. She said she assumed it was a "sales party or something" and ignored the invitation.   She was bummed because she had  heard that it was a great party.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 01:21:25 PM »
Bummer! Yeah, that's where sales parties have really soured things.

Pretty soon that "no sales pitches" line is going to be as ubiquitous and hotly debated as "no gifts, please."

Amara

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I have always wondered how people get away with calling them parties. They are most assuredly NOT parties; they are sales pitches with a hefty dose of guilt.