Author Topic: Weird Pregnancy Dreams  (Read 733 times)

Alli8098

Weird Pregnancy Dreams
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »
I am 17 weeks pregnant and I subconsciously must have a craving for some dried apricots. Last night I remember dreaming that I was at the store desperately looking for bags of dried apricots and kept finding everything but those.  Anyone else remember the silly pregnancy dreams they had?

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Weird Pregnancy Dreams
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »
I had one last week where I hated my sons daycare and the teachers were nasty and didn't care about him and he was there crying, it was very vivid and detailed and long.  Fortunately I don't think it's based in subconscious fears, two of my friends just started their kids in daycare and are having a horrid time, constant crying etc.  I had spoken to both of them that day so I assume that's why my brain adopted it.   My son has been at the same place for 5 months now and loves it!!

I also often dream about searching for different food or drinks.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Coralreef

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »
I dreamed that I was watching a swimming competition with the crowd screaming and cheering.  Nothing strange so far, but the swimmers were hamsters.  ???

Then there was the dream where I got home and had to wade through hip-deep hamsters.

Please note that I have no fear of rodents, they're among my favorite critters.

[/right

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:27:19 PM »
Yes, they were 45 years ago, but I do remember vividly dreaming that the baby fell out when I was in the shower - and I didn't shower at the time but lolled around in the bathtub.

Once, soon before the birth, I dreamed that Baby* was in bed with us and I rolled over an squashed and killed her. Lucas had the same dream. We didn't talk about them until later, so I don't think we influenced each other. That is why we were both stunned at the thought of the Family Bed that was so talked about at the time.

*That was before we could know what the gender of the child was without x-rays, which were used only in emergencies, or amniocentesis, which was very invasive and again only for scary stuff, like suspected Down syndrome.

gmama

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:50 AM »
Oooh! I have one!

It was a week before my next ultrasound appointment when we'd be able to find out what gender our twins were going to be.  In my dream someone handed me a large letter sized envelope and I pulled out a single sheet of paper that had this written on it:

girl   __
boy  2

Up till then I'd been secretly hoping for one of each but in my dream I remember not feeling disappointed.  My first thought was to hide the sheet from everyone else because DH didn't know and I wanted him to find out before anyone else could.

A week later, at our appointment, sure enough... we found out we were having 2 boys.  I wasn't surprised.  ::) ::)

cutejellybeen

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »
Last night I dreamt that I went to visit friends in Calgary. They lived in the same apartment building so I just visited both of them. I really wanted a shower after travelling, and no matter which apartment I was in I couldn't get the showers to work.

It was even odder as one of those friends doesn't even live in Calgary lol

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »
Yes, they were 45 years ago, but I do remember vividly dreaming that the baby fell out when I was in the shower - and I didn't shower at the time but lolled around in the bathtub.

Once, soon before the birth, I dreamed that Baby* was in bed with us and I rolled over an squashed and killed her. Lucas had the same dream. We didn't talk about them until later, so I don't think we influenced each other. That is why we were both stunned at the thought of the Family Bed that was so talked about at the time.

*That was before we could know what the gender of the child was without x-rays, which were used only in emergencies, or amniocentesis, which was very invasive and again only for scary stuff, like suspected Down syndrome.

This reminded me, I have these dreams now (while pregnant), but I've had them since DS was born (so when I wasn't pregnant as well).  In my dream:  DS is supposed to be asleep next to me.   I wake up and can't find him.  Where is he?   I start searching the bed and under the blankets looking for him.  Sometimes in my sleep I call out "Where's my baby? Where's my baby?"   DH (who is awoken by my flailing and noise - often I hit him or try to look underneath him) tells me the baby is in his bassinet and to go back to sleep, and I do.   Sometimes I wake up when he is calming me down and remember the whole thing, other times I stay asleep and have no recollection and he tells me about it the next day. 

Now that it's summer here there's less blankets on the bed, but DS can crawl & walk, so often in my dream he is going to crawl or jump off the edge of the bed, so I am up at the foot of the bed pawing around at the corner searching for him. 

We did bed-share a bit between 6 months and 11 months, basically my rule was I don't stay up out of bed for more than 10 minutes.  So if he woke up and needed me, he came in with me so we all got to sleep.   But these dreams started waaay back when he was a newborn and I never had him in our bed!   So I think it was more primal e.g. my mind going "you've given birth, so where is your child?"  They can be really jarring though.  For those moments, in my sleep, I genuinely fear for where my baby is.    I guess definitely a nightmare not a dream!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

WonderWoman

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
I had some of the weirdest dreams ever during pregnancy, but most were not baby-related. I love scary movies. But while I was pregnant, I couldn't watch them at all because they gave me nightmares. After watching Land of the Dead, (color changed because animal-related) when I dreamed that my dog had been bitten by a zombie. She was alive but I knew she was going to turn. So I knew I had to kill her. It was heart wrenching trying to decide how to kill her and when I was going to do it. Worried that I would wait too long but wanting to hold onto every last moment with her. I woke up in tears and so truly horrified. I couldn't watch another zombie thing for months. I still love Romero. Just not when riding pregnancy hormones.

Zizi-K

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »
I had a dream last night that I was a prisoner is this huge old manor house. My friends were also in the house, but I was trapped and the warden, my mother, wouldn't let me out. Eventually I escaped.

I think it had to do with the fact that both my mother and MIL are trying to get me to curtail my travel plans during my pregnancy. I have let them know I will discuss it with my doctor (who I'm seeing for the first time tomorrow!) and will follow her advice.

mime

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
I had a weird post-pregnancy dream just recently. My 3rd baby is 7 months old, and when people ask if I'm done having kids I say "We're done: all of the bedrooms in our house are full, so we don't have room for more!"

Then one night I had a dream that I was walking down the hallway on our top story and saw a door I hadn't noticed before (in the 9 years we've lived in our house). I opened it to find another bedroom. Right away I said "crud monkeys! now I have to have another kid!" and I slammed the door closed and thought about how I could keep that room a secret from everyone else.

I told that dream to an acquaintance of mine who is into dream analysis. She asked if I had signs of approaching menopause (since I'm 41). She said that discovering new rooms in otherwise familiar places is a big theme in menopausal womens' dreams.

Hmmmm.... too many messed up hormones all at once!