Author Topic: Perfumes Oldies but goodies  (Read 4996 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Perfumes Oldies but goodies
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »
My mom loved Chanel No.5, White Shoulders and something called Tweed.  My grandmother loved Yardley's English Lavender.  I do, too.
In high school girls wore Ben Hur and Blue Waltz.  Fancier ones wore Evening In Paris.  I think the first two were ten cents a bottle or something.  I'm sure smelling those again would take me back.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
Victoria's Secret sold a scent in a purple bottle called Victoria.  My mother has asked for it for Christmas, but they no longer make it.  Their new perfume called Victoria smells vaguely similar, but it's not the same.

Every girl in my generation received Love's Baby Soft when she was 14 or 15.  It was our starter perfume.  You can try hard, or you can try soft.  Soft will get him every time.

Several years ago, I "designed" a signature scent at a perfumerie.  You start with a base and then smell the various scents, adding the ones that work for you.  It's amazing how many memories are provoked by scent.  Some of them reminded me of beloved relatives.  On the other hand, I had to nix the orange blossom scent, because it reminded me of the cheap perfume I'd buy at the souvenir stand in Florida.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »
Anyone remember Cachet? It was supposed to interact with your individual body chemistry and smell different on everyone. I don't know if that's true because I never tried it. But I always wondered ... would it smell like roses and musk on you and a sewage treatment plant on me?

A guy I dated in the early '80s used to wear Chaps by Ralph Lauren. Loved that scent, and years later, smelling it on someone made me think of him.

Not a perfume exactly, but when I was in college I started wearing 7-Up flavored Bonne Bell lip gloss. I got a whiff of it decades later and it took me right back to the dining hall restroom at school, where I used to change out of my work uniform.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

veronaz

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Anyone remember Cachet? It was supposed to interact with your individual body chemistry and smell different on everyone. I don't know if that's true because I never tried it. But I always wondered ... would it smell like roses and musk on you and a sewage treatment plant on me?

A guy I dated in the early '80s used to wear Chaps by Ralph Lauren. Loved that scent, and years later, smelling it on someone made me think of him.

Not a perfume exactly, but when I was in college I started wearing 7-Up flavored Bonne Bell lip gloss. I got a whiff of it decades later and it took me right back to the dining hall restroom at school, where I used to change out of my work uniform.

I remember Cachet; a friend wore it.  I never tried it.

re:  ex bf scents  :) - yeah, I talked about that in another thread a few months ago.
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=131648.msg3073924#msg3073924

You're so right.  Amazing how a whiff of something can turn back the calendar for a moment. 

(slightly OT - I walked by a diner one day and the smell of whatever they were cooking reminded me of Mom's kitchen.......got me misty-eyed.)

The point being that smells are very powerful triggers.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »

oh, yeah! i remember cachet! don't remember the part about it interacting with body chem. (which brings to mind the "mood rings" - anyone else remember those? and wasnt' there a lipstick that took on your own "natural" color or am i making that up?)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
My favourite perfume as a teenager was called Loulou.  It was discontinued when I was in my 20's and I nearly cried.  Fast-forward to my 39th birthday and my husband and I were at the Eaton's Centre in Toronto.  They had a display of Lady Gaga's perfume "Fame" - it's a black liquid that sprays on clear.  My husband suggested I try it.  So I sprayed a tiny bit on to make sure it wouldn't give me a headache or anything and we continued into the mall.  A few minutes later I thought "Something smells familiar..."  IT SMELLS JUST LIKE LOULOU.   So guess what my husband bought me for my birthday.  ;D

Vall

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2014, 12:23:28 PM »

oh, yeah! i remember cachet! don't remember the part about it interacting with body chem. (which brings to mind the "mood rings" - anyone else remember those? and wasnt' there a lipstick that took on your own "natural" color or am i making that up?)
I remember the lipstick but I don't remember the brand or the name of it.  They also had a blush.  Both looked horrible on me.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
It was supposed to interact with your individual body chemistry and smell different on everyone. I don't know if that's true because I never tried it. But I always wondered ... would it smell like roses and musk on you and a sewage treatment plant on me?

That is how all perfume works.  That's how I can smell like a queen in Shalimar while in another friend it smells like Raid.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »

I remember the lipstick but I don't remember the brand or the name of it.  They also had a blush.  Both looked horrible on me.

Tangee.  Another thing that you can buy at Vermont Country Store.  That place has saved my life when I draw the name of an older relative for the gift exchange.  Truly a lifesaver.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:57:44 PM by Lorelei_Evil »

blueyzca01

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
I still love Ysatis, but haven't bought any for a while.

I have been wearing a perfume from Celine Dion.  It's not Knowing or Notes, it merely reads 'Celine Dion' on the bottle.  And apparently it makes me smell irresistible. 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Firecat

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
These days, I get my perfume mostly from Black Phoenix Alchemy lab - right now I bounce back and forth between their "Brisingamen," which is slightly sweet, slightly earthy, slightly floral, "Whoso List to Hunt" (named after a poem written by Sir Thomas Wyatt about Anne Boleyn), which has a bit of rose, a bit of musk, and a bit of an earthy scent, and "Spellbound," which I usually reserve for evening stuff, since it's a bit heavier than the other two.

But back in middle school, I remember wearing Love's Baby Soft, and later Vanderbilt. Mom used to wear Wind Song, I think, and I did for awhile. I also remember one called, I think, Xia Xiong, that I wore when I was in college.

I mostly don't wear perfume to work these days, or if I do, it's a drop at the pulse point on my throat, and a drop on one wrist (and then I rub my wrists together).

Hillia

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2014, 02:57:53 PM »
I used to wear a really great scent from Givenchy, but I haven't been able to find it in years because I don't remember the name  ::).  It was very clean smelling, a little citrusy, very nice. I've tried various Givenchy scents since then but none seem the same.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
I forgot all about Anais Anais, used to LOVE that stuff!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
I also remember one called, I think, Xia Xiong, that I wore when I was in college.

I had that one in high school.  I LOVED it.  I remember it was pronounced "See-ah See-ong".   I'm embarassed to admit that before that I wore Exclamation.  Was it "Exc!amation" or "Exclamat!on"?

I also liked Colors by Benetton (no "u" in colour because it's American, lol.)

My best friend in high school liked Poison by Christian Dior.  We would go to Eatons and use the testers because we couldn't afford to buy our own.

To this very day the smell of Polo by Ralph Lauren takes me back to how guys smelled in high school.  I liked making out with guys who wore that.  Hee hee.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »
Every time I smell Polo I think of my cousin who used to bathe in it. Apparently he liked making out with girls who liked a lot of Polo.  ;D