Author Topic: Perfumes – Oldies but goodies  (Read 5232 times)

veronaz

Perfumes – Oldies but goodies
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
I haven’t really worn perfume/cologne for several years.  Maybe a light body spray once in a while, but usually just good soap and hand lotion.

Recently I detected the unmistakable scent of one of my old favorites on a woman ……….Emeraude by Coty.  I remember my mom used to wear it when I was in high school, and I borrowed it often.  I looked online and saw they make an Emeraude scented lotion.  Might try it.

Made me think of some others I used to love:

Tigress by Faberge
Shalimar by Guerlain
Windsong by Prince Matchabelli (girls in high school bathed in this)
Tabu and also Ambush by Dana
Various Estee Lauder scents....Estee, Youth Dew (but they were strong)

Of course, all these are fine if not used heavily or around anyone with allergies/sensitivities.

Before Christmas I noticed they are still running that old TV commercial "White Diamonds" with Liz Taylor in a hazy fog.  :-\  Never tried that one.

One of my aunts used to sell Avon way back when I was very young, but she used their perfumes heavily.

Do you have any old favorites?

POF

Re: Perfumes – Oldies but goodies
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:26 PM »
Chanel #5
Beautiful by Estee Lauder
Diorissma ( sp ) by Christian Dior)

Anyone remembers Love's baby soft ? Ued to wear that in high school

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »
4711 Eau de Cologne.
NE England

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
I'm 69, so....
I still wear Emeraude because I love the spiciness.
I use Chantilly because it evokes something with Lucas.
I wear Tweed when I miss my mom - or sometimes I just spray it to smell it. (Mom died 45 years ago.)
I like Tabu when I feel rebellious - don't know why.
I find them all at Walmart!

I wonder what I would do if I ever smelled Evening in Paris again - purple bottle, cheapest stuff at Woolworth's or JJ Newberry 5 & 10 stores. There was also Sweet Honesty from Avon, and Wind Song, which I found just wrong recently.

Mostly, it is Oscar for formal occasions - and I know it is old because my stepmother used it, but when someone hugs me, I always get a "you smell good" comment. For everyday use, I think I am up with the times with Sea Island Cotton from Bath & Body Works, but there is no real toilet spray for it that I can find.

White Diamonds was rather acid, as I remember, and never liked Ambush. Mom also wore Channel # 5 near the end, but sorry, Mommy, you will always be Tweed to me.

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
I always liked Tigress, the warm citrus and spice.

I liked Woodhue for the same reasons.

Never cared for Shalimar.
 :)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
I'm 69, so....
I still wear Emeraude because I love the spiciness.
I use Chantilly because it evokes something with Lucas.
I wear Tweed when I miss my mom - or sometimes I just spray it to smell it. (Mom died 45 years ago.)
I like Tabu when I feel rebellious - don't know why.
I find them all at Walmart!

I wonder what I would do if I ever smelled Evening in Paris again - purple bottle, cheapest stuff at Woolworth's or JJ Newberry 5 & 10 stores. There was also Sweet Honesty from Avon, and Wind Song, which I found just wrong recently.

Mostly, it is Oscar for formal occasions - and I know it is old because my stepmother used it, but when someone hugs me, I always get a "you smell good" comment. For everyday use, I think I am up with the times with Sea Island Cotton from Bath & Body Works, but there is no real toilet spray for it that I can find.

White Diamonds was rather acid, as I remember, and never liked Ambush. Mom also wore Channel # 5 near the end, but sorry, Mommy, you will always be Tweed to me.

Go look at Vermont Country Store. 

I have bottles and bottles of perfume.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »
L'Air du Temps-Nina Ricci
White Diamonds and Passion-Elizabeth Taylor
White Shoulders-my mother's signature scent

Petticoats

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
I only discovered Dana's Tabu recently--I'd heard of it, just never tried it--and it became an instant favorite. Trouble is that it was the vintage kind I tried. I don't know if the new formulation is as good.

I still have a soft spot for Obsession, which came out when I was in high school. Andfor awhile in my 30s my signature was Sublime by Patou, but I'm not sure if either of those is old enough to count as an oldie but goodie.

Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez was my signature for years during my teens.

I still love the big orientals, but I've branched out into a lot more different types. Over the last couple of years I got really into artisan perfumes and perfume oils, and now I have an insanely big collection.

Paper Roses

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »
Cie and Aviance were favorites of mine.  Another is Cristalle by Chanel. 

Beautiful by Estee Lauder is also a fave - I wore it on my wedding day!  Also Ralph Lauren Romance.

There is one by MAC that's not made anymore, which breaks my heart because I love it - it smells, to me, like Gardenias combined with a few other scents. 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »
For many years, my fragrance has been White Diamonds, which I still love, but I was dismayed to see someone online refer to it as an old lady's perfume.  Oh well, I rarely wear it since a coworker whines about all fragrances at work, and scent is forbidden in my choral group.

My best friend in college wore Muguet de Bois, which I remember fondly.

Probably my favorite scent is Joy (created in 1929), but I've always been too cheap to buy it for myself.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

metallicafan

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 01:54:47 AM »
Emeraude--my mom used to wear it too.  I still love it,.
Obsession.  One of my all time favorites.

Hillia

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 03:05:29 AM »
i remember my mom's Wind Song in the crown shaped bottle.  I've found the body spray in the last few  years and love it.  It's about the only thing I wear any more.

When I was in high school I wore Chantilly.  And, in accordance with the advice in Seventeen magazine, I layered it.  When I had a date with my One True Love, I took a bath with Chantilly bubble bath, used some Chantilly lotion afterwards, dusted on Chantilly powder, then a spray of Chantilly cologne, and topped it off with a dab of Chantilly perfume on my pulse points. 

My boyfriend at time wore Jovan Musk for Men.  I wish I could travel back in time and apologize to anyone who sat near us in a movie theater - we must have *reeked*.

I wore Avon Moonwind and Topaze, but never cared much for Sweet Honesty.

My best friend in high school wore Rive Gauche, which we thought was terribly sophisticated and mature.  Opium was one we all wanted, but our mothers wouldn't buy for us as it was a) expensive and b) 'too old' for 17 year olds.

In later years I wore,at various times, Paloma, Halston, some Pierre Cardin fragrance, Anais Anais, and a great spray  by Fila called Fitness.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Paper Roses

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:22:47 AM »
Oh - forgot White Linen and Pavlova.  Also Premonition by Mary Kay.

And there was another one, by Jafra, called Jande.  I wore it a few times when DH and I first met, and he loved it.  I wish I could find it again.  They still make one with that name, but it says it's been revamped, so I don't know how different it is and don't really want to spend $50 to find out.

Paper Roses

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 04:24:34 AM »
I find that L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci is very similar to Windsong.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »
I like beautiful as well, wore it on my wedding day. Wouldn't wear anything else.