Author Topic: Perfumes Oldies but goodies  (Read 5129 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Perfumes Oldies but goodies
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
Red Satin by Angelique.  I got more compliments on this (by men    ;)) than any other fragrance I have ever worn. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

veronaz

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »
Gosh, some of these are bringing back such great memories....

So true!  I didn't realize that when I started this thread.

Some warm and pleasant, others sad and bittersweet.

High school
Dates with old boyfriends
Moms and other loved ones no longer around

:) :(

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
I remember the 4711 and Chanel #5 - and I don't particularly care for either of them. 

My go-to these days is Chanel Coromandel.  It's one that always gets positive comments.

I still see Vanderbilt for sale here, and I confess to having a very aged bottle of it in the collection - it doesn't seem to have turned, but it's one of those scents that I've gone off.  I remember also when vanilla perfumes were big - Vanilla Fields, anyone? - and I initially loved them, but now a hint of vanilla and I find it way too cloying.

I always seem to have a couple of bottles of Tweed - it is indeed old fashioned, but I love it, it's a comfort smell I suppose.  I tend to wear it on days when I'm feeling a bit low.

katycoo

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
I will still always love Poison for en evening scent.

veronaz

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »
4711 has been mentioned several times.  I don't recall that at all.  ???  When was it popular?

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
I love Emeraude. I wore it into my 30s.

My sister wore Heaven Sent when she was in her early 20s, and I was a tween. It smelled glorious on her.

Charlie was a nickname of mine when I was a teenager -- stems from my having played Charlie Brown in a school show -- so of course I had to wear Charlie the scent.

Also loved Avon's Unforgettable.

These days I spritz on Vanilla Fantasy by Body Fantasies. I've always loved the smell of vanilla, but it wasn't available in wearable form when I was younger.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

crella

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »
When I was in my teens I loved Evening in Paris and used to hunt it down in flea markets. In my 20's I used a perfume that I think was called Infini or infinity but I can't recall it properly. In my late 30s I used Chanel No. 5, now it doesn't suit me at all, and I think it smells awful (interesting and I wonder why....). I have used  L'Air du Temps for the past 15 years or so now, I get it in Duty Free on my way back to Japan.

dawnfire

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 07:51:27 PM »
4711 Eau de Cologne.

boy did that one bring back memories, my grandfather used to give me a gift set of that for many years when I was a teen

scotcat60

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
4711 has been mentioned several times.  I don't recall that at all.    When was it popular?

Since 1799 when it was first produced. 4711 was the house number in Cologne where it was first made apparently.There is an entry in Wikipedia about it, and a link to their official website.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »
I wore Emeraude all through high school and loved it.  I loved White Diamonds when it first came out, and White Shoulders reminds me of my beloved grandmother.  When I was a child, my mom always wore Chanel No. 5 and I still associate the scent with her.

A few years ago I developed a scent allergy and any perfume or cologne brings on severe sneezing fits along with a headache and runny nose :-\
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:08:26 AM by Baby Snakes »

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
Tweed - wow, I remember some aunts wearing that when I was really young.  But another one that I can't recall the actual scent.

Goodness! How could I have forgotten that! My Mother used to wear Tweed (both the fabric and perfume!) when I was young. I also remember my Father taking me shopping with him, because Mum was busy and he needed to buy a non- box of chocolates present for one of the admin staff in his department that Christmas. I chose Tweed for her because that was what Mum wore.
NE England

Redwing

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
So many that have been mentioned are ones from my youth as well.  Does anyone else remember Styx?  It was a spicy-ish scent.  Loved that one.  But my favorite was Elizabeth Arden's Bluegrass.  Now you can only get it online.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
My best friend in high school wore Rive Gauche, which we thought was terribly sophisticated and mature.

Do they still make/sell Rive Gauche?  My grandmother used to wear that and I LOVED how it smelled!

Back when I was in jr. high/high school (another one from back in the days of dinosaurs) I wore Love's Baby Soft, Heaven Sent, Lady Stetson...  In college it was Navy and one I think was called Luna. 

Then I moved on to Guess and one from Avon called Women of Earth.  I still have a bottle of that stuff!

I used to LOVE Red and wore it non-stop, but I don't know if they changed the formula or if my body chemistry changed;  it does not smell good to me anymore.  I wore Truth (Calvin Klein) for years, too, but they quit making it.  That was a disappointment -- I called that stuff my "magic potion" and I swear it had some very magical effects on men when they smelled it!!!   ;)  :P  8)

Currently, I wear Eternity as my everyday fragrance.  I also have a bottle of Burberry and a bottle of Fancy Love in my dresser. I like them both, but they're both a bit heavy for daytime.  I think there's the remainder of a bottle of Curious in there, too.  I like it, but it can be a little overpoweringly sweet.

When I was in high school, I remember all the guys wearing either Polo or Drakkar.  Polo now gives me a raging migraine as soon as I smell it.  I used to love Obsession for Men on a guy...  Up until my brother-in-law decided it was his new favorite.  It was just kinda weird smelling it on him after that!!!

texgalatheart

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
I love the old formula of Realities. i don't wear it often anymore, but when i do i always get compliments.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »
I just found an old bottle of Sand & Sable that I forgot I had.  ;D