Author Topic: Perfumes – Oldies but goodies  (Read 4963 times)

cattlekid

Re: Perfumes – Oldies but goodies
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 11:35:01 AM »
There is a fragrance called Red 2.  Also made by Giorgio, but less strong than the original Red.  I can still find Red, but Red 2 is sadly MIA.  I've never seen it anywhere online or at any brick and mortar stores.

I'm beginning to think it existed only in my dreams. 

daen

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »
4711 has been mentioned several times.  I don't recall that at all.    When was it popular?

Since 1799 when it was first produced. 4711 was the house number in Cologne where it was first made apparently.There is an entry in Wikipedia about it, and a link to their official website.

I was in Cologne in 1996, and visited 4711. They had a (small) fountain running 4711 that visitors were allowed to dip into - I don't remember for certain, but I believe fingertips were allowed, not just strips of paper or what-have-you.

The travel guide that I used for planning the trip recommended visiting 4711, especially if one had been travelling for some time without benefit of a good shower.  ::) (This was the same travel guide that recommended a special trip to the magnificent and opulent Tourist Information location in Baden-Baden - which was housed in a square metal prefab unit, the sort of thing one sees serving as the office at a construction site. Again,  ::) .)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
I got Emeraude from my grandmother in junior high school  Then I wore one of the Avon scents in high school - Sweet Honesty - an older friend got several bottles for her graduation (year before mine) and was allergic to them.  She and her sister shared the finished attic as their bedroom, so her sister couldn't use it - she passed it along to me.  I think that I let her pick a bottle of what I had in exchange - but it's been years....I don't remember clearly any more!

I do remember still wearing Sweet Honesty the first year or so after I got married because I got more for my graduation!

Over the years...lots of Chanel #5, Emeraude, Opium, and various miniature bottles of "collections" of popular fragrances (Christmas presents).  Menopause seems to have changed my body chemistry - I need to have a week where I try on one fragrance a day to test if it still smells good on me (and shower with fragrance free soap & rest a day between tests).

In 1999, I went to work with an insurance company - our trainer had fragrance allergies - I got out of the habit of applying a little scent as part of getting "dressed".  Instead I used lightly fragranced soap, a touch of lotion on dry areas, and a little talcum powder in the sweaty areas (still smelled nice when & if VorGuy got CLOSE - but didn't trigger the trainer's allergies).  And I showered every morning as part of getting ready for work.

I've gone to lighter body sprays lately, Vanilla & Lavendar, Gardenia, Freesia, and the like - with matching shower gel & lotion.  My skin is drier and I need the lotion!  But I sill love using the scented soaps in my lingerie drawer!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Vall

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »
I remember my mom having Wind Song but I don't remember the smell.  Either she didn't wear it often or it was one of the many scents that I couldn't detect.  Whenever I smell Wild Country, I think of my dad.

As a teen, I like Love's Baby Soft and Jovan Musk.  I also wore some Avon scents like Honeysuckle, Sweet Honesty and Topaze.

As an adult I either wear Realm (very hard to find now) when I have long hair and Beautiful when I have my hair short (like right now).  I like the more musky scents when I have longer hair and the more floral, feminine ones when my hair is shorter.  Does that sound weird?

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
I found my Rive Gauche today. One pump will do; it is strong!

I was also a Charlie girl. I wore Liz Claiborne for ages. I also loved Parfum de Ete, Paloma Picasso's Paloma, Bal a Versailles, Sunflower, Red Door, and Escada's Tropical Punch.

These days I were Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, Diesel's Fuel for Life, Michael Kors' Michael.

I haven't seen it in years but I wore Chanel's Gardenia at my wedding.

veronaz

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2014, 12:51:02 PM »
There were several perfumes/colognes that seemed to be almost too popular during a certain time period and women wore too much at one time.  I like perfume but I remember having my nostrils assaulted frequently with Giorgio, Eternity, and Obsession.  On top of that, people would "freshen" their perfume .......put on even more during the day (or evening).  It got to be a bit much.  ::)

Moonie

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
I remember a scent called Nokomis. I think it was by Coty. There was also one that I remember as a teen called "You're The Fire"...an incensy smell that supposedly intensified with your body heat. All I remember is that I liked it a LOT. Coty also put out some creme type perfumes that you could blend called Sweet Earth. They had different combinations like herbal/grassy scents, wild flowers, and I believe a spicier combo.

Coralreef

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »
The ones I still have are Magie Noire by Lancτme and Elle by Armani.  Don't know if they still make them, I've had mine for a long while and I don't use it everyday.

Chanel #5 was my mother's perfume. 

Emeraude when I was a teen if I could afford it. 

[/right

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »

I was in Cologne in 1996, and visited 4711. They had a (small) fountain running 4711 that visitors were allowed to dip into - I don't remember for certain, but I believe fingertips were allowed, not just strips of paper or what-have-you.

The travel guide that I used for planning the trip recommended visiting 4711, especially if one had been travelling for some time without benefit of a good shower::)
Ewwwww!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BeagleMommy

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
I loved all the Love's Baby Soft scents (Original, Rain Scent, Fire Scent) except Love's Fresh Lemon.  It reminded me of furniture polish.

My mom wore Jean Nate.  When DH and I started dating "Dynasty" was the most popular night time soap and they came out with his and her colognes called Krystal and Carrington.  Yup, we wore them.  I always loved Pavlova but it's hard to find now.

DH wears a cologne called Cuba that comes in a bottle shaped like a cigar.  I usually wear Halloween Orchid and on special occasions Adam Levine for Her.

veronaz

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
My mom wore Jean Nate.

Used Jean Nate after bath splash for years,

magicdomino

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
Back before allergies, I wore Chanel #5 and L'aire du Tempe (which I probably mispelled).  A bit old-ladyish for a woman in her twenties, perhaps, but I loved them.  More importantly, they loved me.  I believe it was Avon's Moonwind that smelled wonderful in the jar, but not so hot after I wore it for a while.  A boyfriend told me that it reminded him of stale dishwater.   :-[   Avon had a rose scent that was a little more friendly.

My mother had a bottle of Shalimar, but she used it so seldom that most of it was left when it went stale.  She usually wore Emeraude.

Delia DeLyons

Re: Perfumes ? Oldies but goodies
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
My good friend turned me on to Jovan Musk oil... I hugged her one day and her scent stayed with me... It was so clean and soft... So I asked her... Now I wear it everyday... Just a dab... Mmm

I smelled the Jovan Musk spray but it smelled too old-fashioned to me. The oil is so nice!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:44:01 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

daen

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
I really liked Amerige by Givenchy, but one of my friends had chemical sensitivities. Since I could never be entirely sure when I'd run into him, I slowly switched to all non-scented products and couldn't justify spending that kind of money (broke college student!) on something I could almost never wear. Now I find I feel like I can't smell anything but me when I'm wearing something scented, and I don't like it.

None of my female relatives wore (or wear) perfume with any kind of regularity, although my older sister did wear Body Shop Vanilla for a while. But a few years ago, an older gentleman came into the library, and the smell of Brut aftershave immediately reminded me of my grampa. It was lovely visit to Memoryland.

Paper Roses

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
Back in the fall of 1996, I was newly pregnant with my third child and suffering nearly debilitating nausea.  There was a designer fragrance which, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of right now.  It was insanely popular, and extremely strong - they must have only sold it in super concentrated formula, because I swear you could smell that stuff miles away.  And everyone wore it. 

To this day, if I smell even the slightest whif of it, my stomach does backflips.  And it's been over 17 years.

TOMMY!  Or maybe Tommy Girl(?) - that was it.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.