Author Topic: Perfumes – Oldies but goodies  (Read 4855 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Perfumes – Oldies but goodies
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
My mom wore Jean Nate.

Used Jean Nate after bath splash for years,

I used to borrow that and Emeraude from my mom. My oldie favorite now is a bottle of Obsession oil that she gave me. I love the Obsession oil, but it is heavy and a little goes a long long way. I only wear it at home because i have a heavy hand with perfume as it is.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »
Back in the fall of 1996, I was newly pregnant with my third child and suffering nearly debilitating nausea.  There was a designer fragrance which, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of right now.  It was insanely popular, and extremely strong - they must have only sold it in super concentrated formula, because I swear you could smell that stuff miles away.  And everyone wore it. 

To this day, if I smell even the slightest whif of it, my stomach does backflips.  And it's been over 17 years.

TOMMY!  Or maybe Tommy Girl(?) - that was it.

My sister (who is now 32) was in love with Tommy Girl. I remember it smelling fresh and wonderful. She liked CK1, too.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Otterpop

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »
I wore "Love's Baby Soft" in the 70s, "New West" in the 80s while my girlfriends wore "Giorgio" (I wanted to be different, plus it was cheaper).  My one true love wore "Aramis," later, my other one true love wore "Grey Flannel."  My mom wore "Cinnabar." 

What a trip down memory lane.  Now to actually smell them would jolt me back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:07:58 PM by Otterpop »

veronaz

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »
For a long time there were the imitator slogans......"Like Giorgio?  Try Primo!"  :)

My experience was they were usually not as good.  Besides, I smelled more than enough Giorgio around me.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »
A lot of the fragrances mentioned in this thread are classics.  Shalimar was my mother's signature scent and it smells great on me.  I inherited her stash when she died.

Emeraude is another fave; I have a bottle from the 80s that probably smells better than one made recently.  I also have 3 bottles of Chanel No. 5 but they all smell different (the one made in France actually doesn't smell as good as the one made here), and if I listed everything I had you'd all think I was nuts.

I use the same screen name on a perfume forum I'm on so you can check my collection out on that.

The oldest and greatest classic I have is the original Santa Maria Novella that was created for Catherine de Medici.  You can't miss with that one.

veronaz

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »
Now I'm remembering Topaz in a tall yellow bottle from Avon.....mom & aunts wore that.  Also one in a red jar/bottle.......Charisma?   Both were quite strong.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
In later years I wore,at various times, Paloma, Halston, some Pierre Cardin fragrance, Anais Anais, and a great spray  by Fila called Fitness.

I love Anais Anais and have used it for over 30 years.  I order it online now, as I can never find it in stores.  Also, the number of different products is greatly reduced now -- basically only the perfume and body lotion.  I miss the powder and body crθme (was thicker and came in a jar, rather than a tube).

mime

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39:55 PM »
I loved Love's Baby Soft in junior high.  My mom and I saw some in the store just before Christmas and it brought back so many memories.  She bought a bottle for me and now my 3 year old son loves it.

In high school I liked Exclamation.  The bottle was black and white and the cover looked like an exclamation point.
I really can't remember what it smelled like though.  I may have just liked it for the bottle.

In college I liked Byblos. I don't know if it is even around anymore.  My boyfriend wore Cool Water by Davidoff. The smell of that takes me back 20 years!

My grandmother also wore Wind Song. I still have an old glass Prince Matchibelli  (sp?) bottle.

In college I tutored a student who burned a lot of incense. She always smelled wonderful.  It was better than most perfumes!

What fun memories. ..

veronaz

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43:35 PM »
In high school I liked Exclamation.  The bottle was black and white and the cover looked like an exclamation point.

I remember Exclamation! 

mime

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »

I remember Exclamation!

Yay! I'm not the only one!

scotcat60

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
When I was in my teens I loved Evening in Paris and used to hunt it down in flea markets

My Mum'and her generation wore Evening in Paris, or Californian Poppy. She also loved Yardley's Lavendar. I loved passing the factory where they had the label design in tiles on the outside.

I believe Eau de Cologne was originally invented for a time when people's personal hygiene was not so good

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
I actually have several bottles of Yardley Spring Flowers.  It hasn't been made in 20 years.

They also used to make one called English Fine Cologne, but I don't think they do anymore.  Pity; I should have bought a lot more of it when I had the chance.

heartmug

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
I am another one who wore Love's Baby Soft.  I used to take some of my Christmas money and buy the 1/2 price sets (perfume, lotion, powder) the week after Christmas.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
Love's Baby Soft
Opium

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I remember those pretty well!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »
I remember one of my junior high school teachers absolutely reeking of Poison. It was a big classroom- but that was all you could smell!

I loved my mom's bottle of Shalimar- they've reformulated it and it doesn't smell quite the same now.

I liked Jean Nate and this little bottle of Devon Violet scent.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls