Author Topic: No dinner?  (Read 10235 times)

lisztchick

No dinner?
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
From an etiquette standpoint, if one is invited to a party that lasts from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm, is it reasonable to expect that some sort of dinner will be served?

DD (age 3) was invited to the birthday party of one of her classmates. It was held at a party-type place she has been to before, about twenty miles away from where we live. DH attended the party with DD, and I was surprised that they didn't return until almost 9:00 pm. I was also surprised to them returning with fast food (which my daughter fell upon ravenously, albeit rather sleepily!) Apparently, the children at the party (ages 3 - 4) were only served juice, cookies, and cupcakes.

DD has been to many of her friends' birthday parties, and there has always been more substantial food served, ranging from elaborate spreads (mostly for the parents, I guess!) to plain cheese pizza or hot dogs. I could see if the party were held at 3:00, or 4:00, I might not expect anything other than cake or ice cream. But if a party is held from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, is it a reasonable assumption that some sort of dinner would be provided? Should they have said something on the invitation? And should I ask about this for future parties?

Lindee

Re: No dinner?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
I'm more surprised that a party for 3 year olds  was planned to go on till 8 p.m.  I can see them thinking that they would have had a meal earlier, (perhaps they eat at 5.30  in their house?) but  a room full of tired 3 year olds ? Sounds like a nightmare.

checkitnice

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
That's such an odd time to hold a party for that age group to begin with!  Most parties that we've gone to have either been at an in-between time with cake and ice cream, or a full on lunch spread if it's at all close to lunchtime.  If a party were at 6pm I would definitely expect there to be food.  What type of party-place are we talking about?

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »
That time, for that age group, I'd probably expect it to be dessert only because littlies tent to eat dinner much earlier - at around 5pm.
But that time for that age group is really odd generally.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »
I think this was bad planning - too late a time for that age group and I would expect more food to be served because for me that pretty much spans what a lot of people would consider dinner time.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
 I would expect a meal .  Leaving the ages out I think you have to start a part after 8pm or even 9pm for time only to convey "no meal".  I'm guessing this family eats early and assumed this was after the dinner hour of 5-6. 

In the future I wouldn't start asking , I would assume with this particular family there will be no meal

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »
A party for 3 year olds from 6-8pm? Bizarre. Were they getting the room for free by having it at that strange time? A lot of 3 year olds go to bed around then.

There should definitely have been a proper meal served. No matter what time of the day a party is held there should be substantial food served, whether it be a sit down type of thing, or lots of finger food. And by finger food I do not just mean cake and biscuits. I love cupcakes and other sweet things, but a party consisting only of cupcakes, biscuits and drinks is completely unheard of where I live. 

Until ehell I'd never encountered situations where people did less than a full spread for a party, regardless of the time of the day.

The absolute bare minimum I have ever encountered was at a lazer zone place and consisted of pizza, popcorn, lollies, chips, a fruit platter, a birthday cake and drinks. There's usually at least one other type of hot finger food to go along with it.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 06:18:43 PM »
If they'd started at even 6:30, I might give them a pass. But 6 is prime mealtime, and little-kid meals are really not that difficult to arrange.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 06:31:58 PM »
In my experience those party places usually provide a meal that's part of the package and the only thing the parents of the birthday child provide is a cake.

But add me in with  those surprised to hear that a party for kids in that time frame didn't provide any dinner!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
In my experience those party places usually provide a meal that's part of the package and the only thing the parents of the birthday child provide is a cake.

Yes, my experience too. Unless they just invited a bunch of people to meet them there and didn't actually book a package, I'm surprised at the lack of food. But then, those sorts of places are usually notorious for banning outside food anyway, so I'd be wondering how they got the cupcakes through. This one could be the exception I guess. But either way, it was insufficient food, especially considering the time of day/night.

weeblewobble

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
I think if it became apparent that dinner would not be served at this party, it would be permissible to wish the birthday boy well and then depart. (I can't imagine staying past seven without feeding my kid.) You wouldn't have to tell the hosts why you're leaving.  But there's no reason to let your daughter get so far off schedule because her friend's party is badly planned.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
That time, for that age group, I'd probably expect it to be dessert only because littlies tent to eat dinner much earlier - at around 5pm.
But that time for that age group is really odd generally.

POD

I'm speculating this was the one time slot available when they booked the party.  I left booking the Big Mouse Pizza Pace too late and nothing was left.  I lucked out because there was a day available on the day DS1 and his friends had half a day of school.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

lkdrymom

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
Every place I have booked for my kids always included a hot dog or slice a pizza no matter what time the party was.  Very odd party time for three year olds and they should have included a non sugar based food.  I can imagine what these over tired, over sugared kids were like after the party.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 07:22:24 PM »
Maybe I've read too many horror stories on ehell but a part of me wonders if maybe the family hid the pizza to take home for themselves and then told everyone only the dessert was available? I know, total assumption here but the stories I've heard here...lol...

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

purple

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »
I'm with those that say food should be served at every party, consistent with the time of day.

For me, I work it like this:

6am - 9am start time = breakfast (sit down)
10am - 11am start time = brunch (finger food / sweet & savoury)
midday - 2pm start time = lunch (sit down)
2pm - 5pm = afternoon tea (finger food / sweet & savoury)
6pm - 8pm = dinner (sit down)
8pm - onwards = supper (finger food / sweet & savoury)