Author Topic: No dinner?  (Read 10610 times)

daisy1679

Re: No dinner?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
Every place I have booked for my kids always included a hot dog or slice a pizza no matter what time the party was.  Very odd party time for three year olds and they should have included a non sugar based food.  I can imagine what these over tired, over sugared kids were like after the party.

In my experience, this usually depends on if the place serves food. My son went to a party yesterday at a place that sells those big playsets for your yard and trampolines, but they don't serve food, so it is not included in your party package (which only includes playing on the stuff in their showroom and a party room, everything else you bring in).

A party set from 6-8 I would absolutely expect to include a meal, regardless of the age. At 3, my kids were eating dinner with the rest of the family, usually between 6 and 7. I think the only time I wouldn't expect a meal would be for parties between 2-5, or after 8, but I would probably still expect some sort of snack food other than cake (chips, veggies, etc.)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »
I'm not a parent, but the timing of this party seems very inconvenient to me. Don't most three year olds go to bed by 8pm?

And I think it was remiss of the hosts not to provide more substantial food.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »
Maybe I've read too many horror stories on ehell but a part of me wonders if maybe the family hid the pizza to take home for themselves and then told everyone only the dessert was available? I know, total assumption here but the stories I've heard here...lol...

Reminds me of something I saw on Undercover Boss. A mom booked a kids party at a movie theatre and got the pizza and soda package. Unfortunately, she found out during the party each kid got 1 slice of pizza, period, unless you paid extra. And that wasn't going to work for a bunch of hungry little boys. So the theatre folks hustled to get more pizzas for the party and tap danced around "We are so sorry. We should've made that clear on the phone"

fountainof

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
I would also expect food if a weeknight.  If on a weekend I would have fed DD around 5pm as we eat earlier on weekends.
We got to bed at 10pm in this household as DD only has to get up at 8 am as I live 10 minutes from my work.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »
i agree - for that age group i would have expected food. most three YOs that I know go to sleep earlier (and start to wind down earlier), so by that time, a bunch of 3-4 YOs would be over tired and hyped up on sugar ---- yeah, sounds like a great idea. ::)

so to answer your questions -
*is it a reasonable assumption that some sort of dinner would be provided? - yes. even some pizza/hot dogs would have been fine
*Should they have said something on the invitation? probably, but i think as a parent i would have (like you) assumed, that dinner was being served.
And should I ask about this for future parties? yes or just assume that there was no dinner.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Last_Dance

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 05:03:20 AM »
That menu is more appropriate for an afternoon party than an evening one. Considering the time, I think it was reasonable to think your DD wouldn't need/want dinner when she got home
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

CakeEater

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 05:17:22 AM »
I'm with those that say food should be served at every party, consistent with the time of day.

For me, I work it like this:

6am - 9am start time = breakfast (sit down)
10am - 11am start time = brunch (finger food / sweet & savoury)
midday - 2pm start time = lunch (sit down)
2pm - 5pm = afternoon tea (finger food / sweet & savoury)
6pm - 8pm = dinner (sit down)
8pm - onwards = supper (finger food / sweet & savoury)

My version of this goes:

6am - 8.30am start time = breakfast (sit down)
8.30am - 10am start time = brunch (finger food / sweet & savoury)
10am - 1pm start time = lunch (sit down)
1pm - 4pm = afternoon tea (finger food / sweet & savoury)
4pm - 7 pm = dinner (sit down)
7pm - onwards = supper (finger food / sweet & savoury)

Dinner should definitely have been provided at a 6-8pm party.

pwv

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »
Maybe the host family feeds their 3yo dinner at 5pm and just assumed that everyone else did as well, and felt that dessert was all they needed to provide.

lisztchick

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »
OP here:

Thanks for the all of the replies! When I called the mother to RSVP, she apologized profusely for the time of the party, but (as many have guessed), that was all that the party place had available. I am understanding about that - I figured DD would sleep really well after that party!

DD attended another party at this particular venue (it's a bouncy-castle type place) last year, so I know that they do allow and provide food. This child is a classmate of hers, but we don't really know the family; she's not one of DD's good friends, and she's new to the school. Again, I was just surprised....DD has been to several parties now that did not fall within specific meal times, and food was still provided. Also, because these kids are so little, dropping them off at the party is not an option, so most of us feel that we should provide a little something for the adults to eat as well. Again, a slice of pizza would've been fine.

And to be honest, I was a little miffed. I think DH felt that it would be awkward to leave, but had I been there, I might've politely excused ourselves and taken my daughter home for dinner.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
If you don't want to serve a meal (or pizza), then you need the 2-4pm slot. Anytime before or after that a meal should be included.

perpetua

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
If you don't want to serve a meal (or pizza), then you need the 2-4pm slot. Anytime before or after that a meal should be included.

For adults yes, but for kids? I don't know. When I was a kid we ate tea early. 4.30/5pm ish. It wouldn't even occur to me that kids that young would be eating a full meal so late, so I'd assume they would already have eaten and that snacks etc were perfectly fine; perhaps the mother thought the same.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »

For adults yes, but for kids? I don't know. When I was a kid we ate tea early. 4.30/5pm ish. It wouldn't even occur to me that kids that young would be eating a full meal so late, so I'd assume they would already have eaten and that snacks etc were perfectly fine; perhaps the mother thought the same.

But most of the kids would have had a parent there, so the "little kids eat dinner early" doesn't really matter.

Aside from that, even assuming a stop for fast food took a little while and the party ran over, the fact that the DH and child didn't get home until 9:00 p.m. makes me think the party place is at least a half hour away. So that means they'd have had to leave home at 5:30 to make it by 6:00, and that means that dinner would have needed to be served at more like 4:30 (depending upon how fast the child typically eats). That might be reasonable for a 3 year old, but I don't know very many adults who are happy eating dinner that early. And for any adults who work, they might not even be able to eat dinner that early. I live pretty close to where I work, and rarely get home much before 5:30.

So until the kids are old enough to attend parties without their parents, the needs of the parents need to be considered as much as the needs of the kids. And when the kids are old enough to go to parties unaccompanied, they're old enough that they would need to have a reasonably substantial dinner at a party starting at 6:00 p.m. Or at least substantial, non-sugary snacks.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 10:02:06 AM »
The rule is that if you invite someone over during what is reasonably expected to be a meal time, you serve them a meal. 6-8 pm is definitely a meal time, so yes--they should have fed the kids.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
Food should have been involved and I would have RSVP'd no because of the hour. Too late, too much sugar and nothing else provided and it just sounds like bad planning to me.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:27 AM »
Some little kids do eat early. But I know more than one family with small children where the parents and the kids don't get home until 5:30 or 6 pm--a parent has to drive from work to pick the kids up from day care, then drive home. In many areas, that's going to take at least half an hour. Even if they start getting dinner right away, most nights, they are not eating until 6 or 6:30.

I'd have been okay with the timing if a mention of the food available had been on the invitation. Something like "cake and cookies and fun in the bouncy house!" But otherwise, more substantial food should have been provided.

As a PP pointed out, the party started at 6. Add in travel time, traffic at that hour, etc., and people had to leave home around 5:30.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn