Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 24153 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:44:40 AM »
I have a sort of friend who has little "verbal tics" that drive me absolutely crazy. It's like he cannot stop saying them.

One is "...as they say..." after every sentence.

I feel like saying "For the love of cheese, PLEASE stop saying that!!!!!!!!!" It just distracts me from whatever we were talking about and makes me want to hurl myself out of the nearest window.

What bugs you in speech and why???
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Free Range Hippy Chick

Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »
I had a colleague who used to tack 'know what I mean' onto every, but every sentence. Occasionally I would lose all self control and say 'yes, I do, thank you' every time, in the certain knowledge that it would make him lose his train of thought. I think he used it as a means of grabbing a second of thinking time without leaving a space in the conversation into which I could have put a rebuttal to what he was actually saying, which was usually a demand for me to do part of his job for him.

Another one used 'if that makes sense' at the end of two sentences in every three. It was marginally, but only marginally, less irritating, because to begin with she was supposed to be explaining to me how something worked, and later on explaining why it didn't work the way it was supposed to, and she was a woman who wore her insecurities on her sleeve, so at least early on, I think it was a genuine attempt to make sure that I understood what was going on. It became more annoying when I realised that she did it in normal conversation too, where it served no purpose: 'we went out to look for a new car for DH yesterday, if that makes sense'. Well, yes, I recognise all those words...

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Basically, I find it basically annoying when someone overuses the word basically. They are basically showing that they don't have much of a vocabulary and they basically are not paying attention to what they are basically saying and how it basically sounds to others.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
Others:

"You know?" at the end of every sentence.  No need.
Adding an uplifting lilt to the end of every sentence? To make it sound like a question? Stop it? Please?
Abusing the word literally makes me literally want to vomit.
"Myself" and "My good self" instead of "Me". Is there any need?

I am not having a very good day today and it doesn't take much to annoy me!!!

alkira6

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »
The word moist. It just irks me.  When public speakers say "ummm" after every sentence.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »
"We'll see" when trying to make plans with someone. I stopped trying.  >:D

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »
"I couldn't tell you" meaning "I don't know" when asked a question.  Why not just say "I don't know"? Why do people have to make it sound as though they do know the answer to your question, but are just witholding the information for no good reason other than to irritate and annoy?

::)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
I've never heard anyone use this in real life, but I've heard it many times on TV: "the both of you." I don't even think that's a correct way to say that. It's either "both of you" or "the two of you." What's the purpose of saying "the both of you"?

SCMagnolia

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
I cannot stand the phrase "it is what it is."  Of course it is!!! What the ehell else would it be???   I had an ex-boyfriend who said this constantly.  I had visions that involved his egg head and bricks every time he said it. 

Another thing I cannot stand is the current "trend" of shortening words.  Like "Cray" instead of "crazy" and "adorbs" instead of adorable.  I cannot stand those words even MORE when it's someone over the age of 12 saying them.  If you are in your 40's and you describe something as being "Cray adorbs", you need smacked upside the head with a board. 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
I've never heard anyone use this in real life, but I've heard it many times on TV: "the both of you." I don't even think that's a correct way to say that. It's either "both of you" or "the two of you." What's the purpose of saying "the both of you"?

Anyone who says "Just the one." Just one.  There is no reason for the superfluous "the".    Lol I'm on a roll now.     "It will either happen or it won't".  Well, yes.  That is true, but does it really need to be stated? "It could be something or nothing". See above.   

turtleIScream

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
"I couldn't tell you" meaning "I don't know" when asked a question.  Why not just say "I don't know"? Why do people have to make it sound as though they do know the answer to your question, but are just witholding the information for no good reason other than to irritate and annoy?

::)

Oh my goodness, yes! Elinor says it the the movie version of Sense & Sensibility. It ruins an otherwise great scene! I just heard someone say that in real life this week, and it made my ears twitch. And it reminded me that my favorite movie used that line, which made me more twitchy.

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 11:38:11 AM »
Leverage.

It seems to be the new corporate "buzzword". Which, I guess, is appropriate in some conversations.
But not when you're saying, "Why don't we see if we can leverage these network ports for the new workstation?".

Just say use, darn it.

123sandy

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Agree with the trendy shortened words...prolly, totes, adorbs...

And the dreaded # that seems to be popping up all over FB.

Calm down or chill. I can guarantee the opposite is about to happen!

Like. My youngest has just picked this up and it drives me crazy.

Mikayla

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Any word that changes TH to D.

Dat, dis, dem.

Lynnv

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 12:11:48 PM »
I hate (hate, hate, hate, hate) the phrase "the reason being" and its even uglier cousin "for the reason being."

I had a boss who would use both of them.   His habit of explaining things using the construction above.  "Well, Lynnv, we are going to start doing our TPS reports in Excel instead of Lotus for the reason being <insert management decision here>" was annoying as all get out.

I also have a friend who uses both, including in report writing.  I tried to break her of it when I proofread some things for her.  I failed.  Aaaaargh.

Who is out there teaching people to use this?  And are we allowed to silence that person for the good of the language? 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein