Author Topic: Things You Misread...  (Read 1798 times)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: Things You Misread...
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
Not so much misread, as mistype.  I work in public health.  For some reason I really need to be careful, because I've been known to lose my L...   :-[

I tend to have a case of missing L too...when I'm trying to type about clocks.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »
I have the 'aromatic', 'aromantic' problem.  I think it's because 'aromatic' is a much more common word. 

Back in the 1950s, meat markets would often offer 'three-legged fryers'.  These were chickens with an extra leg thrown in (we could never figure out what they did with the rest of the chicken).  My mother was a very intelligent woman but, for the life of her, she always read the sign as 'Three eggs fried'. 

Peppergirl

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:01:28 AM »
I live not far from Cooperstown, New York, home of the Baseball Hall of Fame. There is a brewery in Cooperstown, and all their beers have baseball names: Old Slugger, Strikeout Stout, Benchwarmer Porter ... you get the idea.

Once in a beverage store, I spotted a six-pack of P--- R--- Ale. Because it was on the shelf next to several of the Cooperstown Brewery offerings, I misread it as "Pete Rose Ale."

As anyone who follows baseball knows, Pete Rose has been deemed ineligible for the Hall of Fame because of the gambling scandal. So it surprised me that Cooperstown Brewery would name a brew after him.

They didn't. It was a non-Cooperstown product called Post Road Ale.

As a life-long (until recently) Cincinnatian, I absolutely love this post.  Thanks for the chuckle.  Pete Rose Ale for the win!  ;D ;D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 01:42:33 AM »
I live not far from Cooperstown, New York, home of the Baseball Hall of Fame. There is a brewery in Cooperstown, and all their beers have baseball names: Old Slugger, Strikeout Stout, Benchwarmer Porter ... you get the idea.

Once in a beverage store, I spotted a six-pack of P--- R--- Ale. Because it was on the shelf next to several of the Cooperstown Brewery offerings, I misread it as "Pete Rose Ale."

As anyone who follows baseball knows, Pete Rose has been deemed ineligible for the Hall of Fame because of the gambling scandal. So it surprised me that Cooperstown Brewery would name a brew after him.

They didn't. It was a non-Cooperstown product called Post Road Ale.

As a life-long (until recently) Cincinnatian, I absolutely love this post.  Thanks for the chuckle.  Pete Rose Ale for the win!  ;D ;D

I'll give you 3.5 to 1 odds on that win!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
^^^   ;D

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »
There is a pawn shop near me. I always, always, always misread it and see prawn shop.

First my mouth waters. Then I wonder why I can't smell prawns. Then I'm confused by the idea of a shop that *only* sells prawns.

Then I reread it for the million time and am very sad that it's still actually just a pawn shop.  :'(
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Cricket

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
Celany, I read that as, "There is a prawn shop near me. I always, always, always misread it and see prawn shop." and had to re-read it to find the mistake, lol.

Mine happened when I was a teenager. Dad was driving, I was window gazing. We passed a plant nursery with had a huge sign that read,

ORANGE TREES
Flowering
Or chids

and I asked my father what "chids" were.  In my defence, I am still absolutely, positively certain 37 years later that there was a space between the "r" and the "c" in orchids.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
Celany, I read that as, "There is a prawn shop near me. I always, always, always misread it and see prawn shop." and had to re-read it to find the mistake, lol.

See? It's so easy to do! I think it's a sign that we don't eat enough prawns...  ;D
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Miss Understood

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
Last year in the Chicago area there were signs on the expressways written in 3 lines like this:

XXX fatal accidents
this year
don't drink and drive

My husband missed the first part and read it as "this year, don't drink and drive."  Once he told me that I couldn't stop seeing it that way either.

Peppergirl

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
I'll give you 3.5 to 1 odds on that win!

;D >:D  Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.  Too funny!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
Just remembered one tonight.

There's a car dealership that offers "paintless dent repair". Every time I see it, I miss out the i and read "pantless"...
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~