Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 29420 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »
"Trending".

I use this word many times a day.  :P

But...in my defense...

At my job it refers to a very specific budget function and it is a critical part of project management.  :)

And that is the Only context in which I use it. ;D

Am I allowed to stay?  ;)

Sure! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

SCMagnolia

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
"Hater."

For the love of puppies, just. no.

emwithme

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »
I actually saw this on my FB feed:

"Because of the cue of traffic we had to slam on are brakes and I couldn't breath I was so scarred".

It almost physically hurt me. 

Please don't get me started on how lose/loose are not interchangeable, and how "then" is rapidly becoming synonymous with "than". 

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »

"Because of the cue of traffic we had to slam on are brakes and I couldn't breath I was so scarred".

Please don't get me started on how lose/loose are not interchangeable, and how "then" is rapidly becoming synonymous with "than".

...Wow.  Bonus points for not spelling it "breaks"?  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »

So the bolded should read "Because of the queue (?) of traffic we had to slam on our brakes and I couldn't breathe I was so scared."

(is queue right?)

Mikayla

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »

Haha!  I've decided with FB people should pass a proficiency test before being allowed to use it.  When I spend too much time on it, I'm a little afraid I've forgotten how to write.

My issue used to be "your" for you're but now it's "to" instead of too.  C'mon, people...this is a 3 letter word.

emwithme

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »

Haha!  I've decided with FB people should pass a proficiency test before being allowed to use it.  When I spend too much time on it, I'm a little afraid I've forgotten how to write.

My issue used to be "your" for you're but now it's "to" instead of too.  C'mon, people...this is a 3 letter word.

Gah, no, it did say "breaks" but I can spell, cuss it all to tarnation!   ::)

Vall

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »
"Hater."

For the love of puppies, just. no.
This word really annoys me.  Whenever I hear/read it, I lose interest in the conversation.

Hillia

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
I used to volunteer in dog rescue.  For people who spend a lot of time thinking, talking, reading, and writing about dogs, I saw a lot of this:
"We've been asked to take in a german sheppard with a litter of puppys.  We can have her spade once the puppies are weened"

AAAAGGGGHHHHH

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2014, 11:15:28 PM »
Expresso instead of espresso. 

Wheelhouse,   I think I first heard this on one of those singing competition, as in, "That song was totally in your wheelhouse."  Now I notice it everywhere.

Texas

veronaz

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »
The other day I saw a story on TV where a woman said "I know I'm not the beatifulest woman in the world, "
WHAT!?  ???  ::)
Obviously she's not the brightest, either.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2014, 12:48:39 AM »
I used to volunteer in dog rescue.  For people who spend a lot of time thinking, talking, reading, and writing about dogs, I saw a lot of this:
"We've been asked to take in a german sheppard with a litter of puppys.  We can have her spade once the puppies are weened"

AAAAGGGGHHHHH

That sentence has me hyperventilating from shock and awe

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2014, 01:09:49 AM »
I feel ill when I hear people say "She is preggers" or "she is prego" instead of "pregnant." I don't think "expecting a baby" = "a jar of spaghetti sauce."  (Prego is a popular brand of mass-produced spaghetti sauce in North America.)
And along those lines, when half of a heterosexual couple says "WE are pregnant."  No.  Just NO.  Because if both of you are pregnant, either (1) one of you is the world's first pregnant man or (2) both of you are female!

"Like" and its constant companion "y'know" used as conversational fillers.  Especially prevalent in interviews with professional athletes, for some reason.

And one from DH that makes me want to .  I ask him a yes-or-no question, and he answers "Mmmup."  Yep?  Nope?  Hence the use of the Frying Pan of Doom. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Paper Roses

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2014, 05:46:11 AM »
Could, would, or should "of" - I just can't.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

scotcat60

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »
RE: Bad spelling.

There is a charity shop I frequent which organises the books for sale by category. biographies, love stories, etc. but they spell "stories" as "storys" e.g. "Love Storys"