Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 30316 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2014, 05:38:28 AM »
I used to volunteer in dog rescue.  For people who spend a lot of time thinking, talking, reading, and writing about dogs, I saw a lot of this:
"We've been asked to take in a german sheppard with a litter of puppys.  We can have her spade once the puppies are weened"

AAAAGGGGHHHHH

Maybe the german sheppard (sic) wants to keep her spade?
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
I once saw a classified ad offering "massive puppies" for sale. Which wasn't that far off the mark; mastiffs are massive!

In my newspaper days, the Really Big Catholic Funeral was a mistake made by people who were new to taking obituaries over the phone for funeral homes. I don't think it ever made it into print, but occasionally a rookie would transcribe "Mass of Christian Burial" as "Massive Christian Burial."

Collective nouns are the bane of my existence as a copy editor in the U.S. who uses Associated Press style. The general rule is that a collective noun takes a singular verb: The family lives in Smallville. The team plays in X Stadium. The group meets every Tuesday. Couple is an exception. So are sports teams with singular names: The Miami Heat play. The Utah Jazz are winning.

Where it gets tricky is the follow-up pronoun: His family is coming to town, and he is eager to see them. We've actually gotten complaints about such usage, but how weird does it sound to say, "His family is coming to town, and he's eager to see it"? Faced with this sort of thing, I go mining for plurals and reword the sentence: "His relatives are coming/his wife and daughter are coming ... and he's eager to see them."

British English seems to lean more toward using plural verbs with collective nouns.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2014, 06:21:33 AM »
I once saw a classified ad offering "massive puppies" for sale. Which wasn't that far off the mark; mastiffs are massive!

In my newspaper days, the Really Big Catholic Funeral was a mistake made by people who were new to taking obituaries over the phone for funeral homes. I don't think it ever made it into print, but occasionally a rookie would transcribe "Mass of Christian Burial" as "Massive Christian Burial."

Collective nouns are the bane of my existence as a copy editor in the U.S. who uses Associated Press style. The general rule is that a collective noun takes a singular verb: The family lives in Smallville. The team plays in X Stadium. The group meets every Tuesday. Couple is an exception. So are sports teams with singular names: The Miami Heat play. The Utah Jazz are winning.

Where it gets tricky is the follow-up pronoun: His family is coming to town, and he is eager to see them. We've actually gotten complaints about such usage, but how weird does it sound to say, "His family is coming to town, and he's eager to see it"? Faced with this sort of thing, I go mining for plurals and reword the sentence: "His relatives are coming/his wife and daughter are coming ... and he's eager to see them."

British English seems to lean more toward using plural verbs with collective nouns.

Lol!!! You have just put into words a giant hate of mine.  I quite often read, in the newspaper, a sentence that jars me and it takes my brain a good few minutes to work out why.

When I was young, I'd say cup of teas rather than cups of tea.  Because to me, the tea was the focal part of the sentence and I didn't understand that tea, as a liquid, is not something that can be counted, or that the vessels in which the tea is held are what can be counted.   ;)

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
I'm not even going to post my word, because I know it can be a trigger word for some people, but let's just call it [assault], and understand that it's a kind of assault that masquerades as se*ual, but really isn't about se* at all.

The thing is, I see this word used a lot in contexts where "destroy" or "vanquish" would work, and often in online gaming.  "We went over to red's base and totally [assault]ed them!"  "Oh man, I was playing Call of Battle last night, and they totally [assault]ed me!"

STOP SAYING THAT.  The word doesn't mean remotely that!

Teenyweeny

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
I'm not even going to post my word, because I know it can be a trigger word for some people, but let's just call it [assault], and understand that it's a kind of assault that masquerades as se*ual, but really isn't about se* at all.

The thing is, I see this word used a lot in contexts where "destroy" or "vanquish" would work, and often in online gaming.  "We went over to red's base and totally [assault]ed them!"  "Oh man, I was playing Call of Battle last night, and they totally [assault]ed me!"

STOP SAYING THAT.  The word doesn't mean remotely that!

Urgh. I agree completely. If you have more than ten facebook friends, there's a decent chance that at least one of them will have been assaulted.

So I get very angry when I see people casually use that word in FB statuses. Well done, you just used an incredibly triggering word, and reminded roughly a tenth of people reading this of (probably) the worst thing that has ever happened to them, whilst simultaneously trivialising that experience. All because you lost a game or whatever. Good job.  >:(

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
To go along with the misuse of the word "chemicals", that is used to imply chemicals are bad when everything is a chemical, I'll mention "temperature" when used in health care, even by professionals.

I have a temperature. I am not ill, so it is normal. My kid had a fever - an above normal temperature. My husband and son both are normal at 96 degrees, but that is another issue.

I still cannot adjust to people who say something "smells", meaning it has a bad odor. I smell because I have working olfactory cells, or I smell fresh because I used light perfume. The trash does not smell - it stinks or smells bad. Smell does not stand alone unless it is one of the senses.

I'll never win these because they are used so universally, it seems, but they grate on me. 

turtleIScream

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »
To go along with the misuse of the word "chemicals", that is used to imply chemicals are bad when everything is a chemical, I'll mention "temperature" when used in health care, even by professionals.

I give you www.dhmo.org
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

jmarvellous

« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
I'm as likely as anyone to misuse or be creative with prefixes and suffixes in speech, though I'm more careful in writing. I smile when people do so, unless I'm trusting them to do a good job:
Nonpleasant
Unpossible
Sewer/Manicurer and other funny professions
Phenomena/non and all those other tricky plurals
Most funniest
Etc.

(Though I admit to being jarred on occasion, e.g., funner.)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »

I give you www.dhmo.org

Our grandson's favorite reference since he was 12! We are training our kids well. Spread the word! Thanks.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
I'm reading Miss Manners right now and the way she always refers to herself in the third person is deeply annoying me.

Airelenaren

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
Regarding that, I have this theory that "Miss Manners" is really either a whole team of people who talk about the question to reach a common agreement, or just some sort of magic 8 ball that whoever is writing the answer gets to shake.  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »

If you want to annoy people (as I sometimes do) you can ask people who say "there are no chemicals in our product!" if they ever get in trouble for selling consumers an empty packaging.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Teenyweeny

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »

If you want to annoy people (as I sometimes do) you can ask people who say "there are no chemicals in our product!" if they ever get in trouble for selling consumers an empty packaging.

Even then, they'd have to create a perfect vacuum to keep the nasty carbon dioxide, oxygen and nitrogen out of there. Not to mention the trace amounts of other gases.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »
Any word that changes TH to D.

Dat, dis, dem.

For your own safety, do not come to Chicago.  It's part of the accent, especially on the south side of town.  The original "Hizzoner da Mayah" (Richard J. Daley) who ran the town with an iron hand for decades, spoke like that.  Everyone picked it up.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
"He was shot in the fracas." The fracas is not a body part! The sentence should read "He was shot while in the midst of the fracas."

One of my favorite movies, "The Thin Man," has the exchange:
Nora: "You were shot twice in the tabloids."
Nick:  "that's not true! They never went anywhere near my tabloids."

Sorry. Off topic....lurk.....lurk....lurk.