Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 27810 times)

English1

Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 12:14:47 PM »
'one of the only' AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh. It makes NO sense.

'one of the few' ok
'the only' ok
'one of the only' gibberish!

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »
I've been conducting phone interviews for intern positions.

It drove me nuts when I would ask a question and the response was, "Sure.  [Blah blah actual answer]."

Stop saying sure!  It's a legit answer to "Could you tell me about a time when..."  But when you use it to start every answer, it's now a verbal tic.  Ugh!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »
"We'll see"

My mom used to say that when I'd ask permission to do something.  It irritated me to no end - just say "YES" or "NO"!

My own irritants:

Shortened words "vacay", "delish", etc.
Touch base.
When people who do many different jobs say they "wear many hats".
Persons - I thought "people" was the plural of "person".
Peoples - "People" is already plural!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 01:02:20 PM »
"We'll see"

My mom used to say that when I'd ask permission to do something.  It irritated me to no end - just say "YES" or "NO"!

My own irritants:

Shortened words "vacay", "delish", etc.
Touch base.
When people who do many different jobs say they "wear many hats".
Persons - I thought "people" was the plural of "person".
Peoples - "People" is already plural!

Rachel Ray has a line of pet products called "Nutrish". Makes me roll my eyes every time I see them in the store or an ad for them in a magazine.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 02:07:30 PM »
OH! Another major pet peeve....When I say "Thank you" the expected response is "You're welcome" not "No problem." I absolutely hate that. Is it so hard to simply say "You're welcome?"

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

bridalviolet

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
This may get me in trouble, especially since the word is used so much on this site...but it's "invite." This word (pronounced "inVITE") is a verb. The noun is "invitation." There is no such word as "INvite." PLEASE STOP SAYING, "I SENT OUT MY INVITES"!!!!! THE WORD IS "INVITATION"!!!!
Okay, sorry for yelling. But it drives me batty.

Paper Roses

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:36 PM »
I hate (hate, hate, hate, hate) the phrase "the reason being" and its even uglier cousin "for the reason being."

I had a boss who would use both of them.   His habit of explaining things using the construction above.  "Well, Lynnv, we are going to start doing our TPS reports in Excel instead of Lotus for the reason being <insert management decision here>" was annoying as all get out.

I also have a friend who uses both, including in report writing.  I tried to break her of it when I proofread some things for her.  I failed.  Aaaaargh.

Who is out there teaching people to use this?  And are we allowed to silence that person for the good of the language?

This one wouldn't bother me so much if people bothered to use it correctly, but most of the time they don't.  "Reason" is the noun, "being" is the verb.  You don't need to add "is" afterward.  Just say, "I can't come to work today, the reason being I'm sick."  not "I can't come to work today, the reason being is I'm sick."  Or "The only reason being is I'm sick."
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Paper Roses

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »
"If you will." 

Mostly because, again, people tend to overuse it.  You don't need to put it at the end of every sentence.

Likewise, you don't need to start every sentence with "I mean."  It doesn't make sense.  I could see it being used as an alternative to "in other words," but not at the beginning of everything you say.

Vall

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »
I once had a coworker who would start every response to people with, "Yeah, I know..."  Conversations were similar to this:

Me:  I really don't want to work on Thanksgiving eve night.
Coworker:  Yeah, I know but we won't celebrate until Saturday so it's okay for me.  That will give me some extra shopping time.
Me:  Are you cooking a big meal Saturday?
Coworker:  Yeah, I know.  It'll be smaller than usual since my daughter can't make it in this year.

She was a very nice lady but since she used that phrase so much, it drove me crazy.

Eeep!

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »
I know I have plenty, but my 4 year old son recently let me know of one of mine that annoys him.  I had taken to saying "You might be right" in response to him postulating different theories.  Now originally, I did that because some of his theories were a little out there and I used it to start a discussion on other possibilities without making him dig in his heels. But I guess I just started doing it all the time. And the other day he told "Mommy! Why do you always say that I might be right. I am right.". haha.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

CuriousParty

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
"Kind of unique", "A little unique" or any other variation that defies the very definition of unique.

Paper Roses

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »
"Kind of unique", "A little unique" or any other variation that defies the very definition of unique.

Oh yeah - right up there with "more perfect." 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »
Agree with the trendy shortened words...prolly, totes, adorbs...

And the dreaded # that seems to be popping up all over FB.

Calm down or chill. I can guarantee the opposite is about to happen!

Like. My youngest has just picked this up and it drives me crazy.

POD on the bolded, and "feels."  OK, I probably use prolly when I speak - I can see that as a shortening of probably, but totes, adorbs, and cray-cray? Huh? And "feels" - you're talking about feelings and emotions, not intimate physical contact!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 01:42:54 AM »
Basically, I find it basically annoying when someone overuses the word basically. They are basically showing that they don't have much of a vocabulary and they basically are not paying attention to what they are basically saying and how it basically sounds to others.

My husband doesn't do this in his regular conversation, but when he started working from home (IT Consultant) I noticed that he did it a LOT in professional phone calls. After listening to a few I advised him to forget he even knew that word. English isn't his first language but he's plenty fluent to know better.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:49:34 AM »
"We'll see"

I do this to my kids (15, 12 & 10). Usually it means "I hear that you want to do X, but I need a bit to check the calendar to make sure your thing doesn't conflict with what the 4 other people in this house have going on at that time...I'll get back to you". On rare occasion it means "I really don't want to discuss this right now, I'll get back to you later".