Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 27798 times)

scotcat60

Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
"He was shot in the fracas.

Reminds me of the line in the film "The Thin Man" when Nora says to Nick "It says they shot you  five times in the tabloids" to which he replies "That's a dirty lie, they were nowhere near my tabloids"

Thanks Teenyweeny for the explaination of FROW.

As for Life isn't fair comment. That doesn't mean you have to buckel under and accpet it. If Emily Pankhurst and her like had done so woman would not be voting, or practicing in the professions.

Redwing

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

A word that makes me cringe:  "yummy."  Can't stand it being used by anyone over the age of about 4.

And I thought it was just me that was bothered by that word!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
"Hubby" and "Hubs" just make me want to look around warily and back away from the conversation.

"Nom" - how can I even read something called "Nom, nom Paleo" even when it might have some valid suggestions?

123sandy

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »

A word that makes me cringe:  "yummy."  Can't stand it being used by anyone over the age of about 4.

And I thought it was just me that was bothered by that word!

I prefer yummy to nom, nommy, noms...they make me want to slap someone!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
Baby talk from anyone older than 15 who is not talking to a baby.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
I've seen the expression "in lieu of" used in place of "in view of."  Folks, you don't sound smart if you don't use the expression correctly. 

Especially if, in writing, they spell it "in LOO of." 

Yes.  I had a friend that did that.  He thought he was Einstein's little brother, so none of us told him that it made him look like a complete imbecile.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »
I feel ill when I hear people say "She is preggers" or "she is prego" instead of "pregnant." I don't think "expecting a baby" = "a jar of spaghetti sauce."  (Prego is a popular brand of mass-produced spaghetti sauce in North America.)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
"You People"

There is nothing I hate more than when someone calls my place of employment, and they tell me that they were told to call "You People" and that "You people" will help them out.

It just feels so derogatory to me.

Exactly. They should be saying "y'all" instead like we do here in the south  ;)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

mumma to KMC

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
The word "paleo" makes me want to hurt people. It usually goes hand and hand with "You'd lose weight if you'd eat paleo." I am polite, but inside I'm raging. (I have no problem with people going "paleo" but it's not for everyone (or her budget).)

I use the work "like" a lot. Like a filler word :) It drives me crazy.

Speaking of crazy, cray-cray annoys me to no end, as does totes and jelly (for jealous).

Basically the shortening of (most) words in general bothers me.

*edited a typo
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:30:28 PM by mumma to KMC »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
Anything that substitutes baby talk for adult speech drives me up the wall. 

I find 'Veggies' instead of vegetables especially annoying.

Mikayla

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »
The word "paleo" makes me want to hurt people. It usually goes hand and hand with "You'd lose weight if you'd eat paleo." I am polite, but inside I'm raging. (I have no problem with people going "paleo" but it's not for everyone (or her budget).)

I use the work "like" a lot. Like a filler word :) It drives me crazy.

Speaking of crazy, cray-cray annoys me to no end, as does totes and jelly (for jealous).

Basically the shortening of (most) words in general bothers me.

*edited a typo

This one is a *very* hard one to break.  Don't ask me how I know this.  Ugh!

Luckily mine was fairly short lived, and people close to me who knew it's a big pet peeve, were guick to alert me.   But really, I have no idea how and when I picked this up.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
I cannot stand the phrase "it is what it is."  Of course it is!!! What the ehell else would it be???   I had an ex-boyfriend who said this constantly.  I had visions that involved his egg head and bricks every time he said it. 

Another thing I cannot stand is the current "trend" of shortening words.  Like "Cray" instead of "crazy" and "adorbs" instead of adorable.  I cannot stand those words even MORE when it's someone over the age of 12 saying them.  If you are in your 40's and you describe something as being "Cray adorbs", you need smacked upside the head with a board.

Thankfully I was able to avoid spitting out my bowtie and pesto onto the keyboard. :) 

Along those lines I hate when people say "Oh em gee!"  Last I checked there is no character limit on human speech.  If saying "Oh my God" offends you, say "Oh My Gosh", "Oh My Goodness" but "Oh em gee!" is like nails on a chalkboard for me. 

As for the Paleo, it got to a point where I stopped following a friend's boards on pinterest that had that word attached because she'd pin about 50 of them a day.

Adding another "It would behoove you..." I haven't heard it in years and it's one of those things I've told dh that if he ever hears me saying it, he has permission to swat me. 

My friend teases me when I use a phrase a lot.  Most recently it was "That's a good idea". I think I did use it about 5 times in one conversation but in my defense, they were all good ideas! 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

whatsanenigma

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »
Anything that substitutes baby talk for adult speech drives me up the wall. 

I find 'Veggies' instead of vegetables especially annoying.

I agree. "Veggies" just sounds silly to me.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
brekkies for breakfast.  I hope that word dies a slow death.

Also bling...no, just no

As for the # in facebook someone mentioned above. That is a standard social media tactic to tie multiple social media channels together.  the # phrase is registered and you can analyze it to see how large the reach is. 

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:12 PM »
Anyone who adds a "no?" to the statement.  "Good idea, no?" I'm confused.  It's either a good idea or it's not.

That's a fairly common usage in Romance languages -- well, Spanish and Italian, at least. I'm not sure about Portuguese, French or Romanian, as I'm not as familiar with them. It tends to be short for "Right?" or "Don't you agree?" When I hear someone use it in English, I tend to assume that one of these languages is their first or second tongue.

It's a cousin of the English usage of using a negative verb when we expect a positive response ("Isn't she lovely?" -- yes, she is). Or tacking a negative verb onto a positive statement to turn it into a question that anticipates a positive response, or vice versa. ("I'm not bothering you, am I?" No, you're not. "You're mad at me, aren't you?" Yes, I am.)

One of my pet peeves is "feel" in place of think, believe or consider. If what comes after can't be described in a single word, it's a thought or belief, not a feeling:

Wrong: I feel he never listens to me.
Right: I feel frustrated because he never listens to me.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady