Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 30294 times)

Paper Roses

Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »

A word that makes me cringe:  "yummy."  Can't stand it being used by anyone over the age of about 4.

And I thought it was just me that was bothered by that word!

Nope.  Same goes for "tummy."  And I agree, also, about "veggies."
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Paper Roses

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
"Fast forward."  Makes my skin crawl.

Also, and this isn't really a phrase or word; more a habit, I guess.  But I can't stand reading stories where people replace names with initials.  Make up a name.  Use a fake one.  But please, the initials make it all so hard to follow. 

And we know, probably even assume most of the time, that the names are fake.  You don't need to put them in quotation marks every time you type them.

purple

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »
I'm guilty of a couple of those mentioned avove  :-[.  I wonder if it may be an Australian thing, but veggies is terribly common here!

Ok - my vent - here goes:

"Irregardless" - don't even get me started!  It's incorrect, it's a double-negative and it's used so often that it is actually starting to become accepted here  :(

"For all intensive purposes" - Please, for the love of puppies, the phrase is "for all intents and purposes".  Unless, of course, you are referring to some particularly intense purposes...but....you aren't.  >:(

I also can't stand when people say things like "more busier".  You either say "more busy" or "busier" - not both!!!!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2014, 11:08:17 AM »
"Baby bump."

"Lover."  That word makes the relationship sound skeevy.

"Get out of Dodge."

"Tools" when it doesn't mean actual tools.  As in, "Here are some tools to help you deal with depression."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »
Anything that substitutes baby talk for adult speech drives me up the wall. 

I find 'Veggies' instead of vegetables especially annoying.

I agree. "Veggies" just sounds silly to me.

But The Fonze used it! How cool is that? (Back to watching Nick at Night now.)

gingerzing

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
"Baby bump."

Forgot this one. 
HATE this phrase with a burning white passion

Mikayla

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
Anyone who adds a "no?" to the statement.  "Good idea, no?" I'm confused.  It's either a good idea or it's not.

That's a fairly common usage in Romance languages -- well, Spanish and Italian, at least. I'm not sure about Portuguese, French or Romanian, as I'm not as familiar with them. It tends to be short for "Right?" or "Don't you agree?" When I hear someone use it in English, I tend to assume that one of these languages is their first or second tongue.

It's a cousin of the English usage of using a negative verb when we expect a positive response ("Isn't she lovely?" -- yes, she is). Or tacking a negative verb onto a positive statement to turn it into a question that anticipates a positive response, or vice versa. ("I'm not bothering you, am I?" No, you're not. "You're mad at me, aren't you?" Yes, I am.)

Exactly!  This stuff fascinates me.  Another common one with people whose first language is romance is unexpected plurals when English would use a singular.   A cell phone might be described as "good conditions" because the Spanish translation is "buenas condiciones". 

Hillia

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
I find 'Veggies' instead of vegetables especially annoying.

Oh, so much this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

whatsanenigma

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
Something in another thread reminded me of this one.

I find it really annoying when people use "go to the bathroom" and mean the actual act of expressing the waste.

If somebody says they are "going to the bathroom" as they leave the table, for example, that's fine.  But when somebody says "my dog went to the bathroom on the carpet", that just sets my teeth on edge.

And don't even get me started on "go potty".

Paper Roses

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »

I won't, because I can't stand that one either.  Even more so when someone uses "potty" as a verb.  "Make sure you potty before we leave." 

Editeer

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
"Passion" and "passionate" when used to describe things in your work environment, or how you feel about your job. Today I saw a resume that began: "I am a passionate technical writer . . . " Once in a while would be OK, but it is such a buzzword in business now, and it really annoys me. Come on, these jobs we have are called WORK and we do it to get PAID, not because we're so "passionate" about them. I'm interested in my work, I find it (at its best) challenging and engaging, and there are times it's very gratifying--but still, it's a job. My feelings about it can't be compared to my feelings about my husband or family or civil rights or chocolate.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »
Something in another thread reminded me of this one.

I find it really annoying when people use "go to the bathroom" and mean the actual act of expressing the waste.

If somebody says they are "going to the bathroom" as they leave the table, for example, that's fine.  But when somebody says "my dog went to the bathroom on the carpet", that just sets my teeth on edge.

Unless there is a shower or bathtub, it is not a bathroom! I use the 'restroom' or ask for the 'ladies' room'. Dogs 'go outside' and hamsters and Guinea pigs have a toilet area in their cages - they usually select an area.

I really should get over it because it is so nearly universal to say 'bathroom' when looking for a toilet.
I

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
When someone writes "breath" when they mean to say "breathe."  I see it everywhere, even in print articles.  I'm starting to think that's the new way of spelling "breathe."  It annoys the everloving heck out of me.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »
Apparently grammar has changed since I went to school because now it is acceptable to say things like "the couple were...." 

Somewhere along the line, some Special Snowflake must have failed English because s/he couldn't get his/her head around the idea that a couple, while it refers to two people, is a single item. 

And thanks to that very special little, grammatically-challenged snowflake, I now cringe to the point of making my teeth hurt when I hear phrases like this on the news or read it in the paper.

Gah!!!  It doesn't even SOUND right!!!!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2014, 10:13:06 AM »
Apparently grammar has changed since I went to school because now it is acceptable to say things like "the couple were...." 

Somewhere along the line, some Special Snowflake must have failed English because s/he couldn't get his/her head around the idea that a couple, while it refers to two people, is a single item. 

And thanks to that very special little, grammatically-challenged snowflake, I now cringe to the point of making my teeth hurt when I hear phrases like this on the news or read it in the paper.

Gah!!!  It doesn't even SOUND right!!!!

I learned "the couple was going to the movie" or "the couple were going their separate ways". (Grad 1966).

A few I see a lot:

"reign" is to rule, "rein" is to guide or hold in. I've even seen in novels that "she tried to reign in her emotions".

"cue" is a hint or signal, "queue" is to line up.

I often wonder if "spellcheck" or some similar program is responsible for these. By the way, my typos are my own.  :)