Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 24193 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 03:15:27 AM »
When used without irony or sarcasm: "Yeah, no." If the answer to a question is "no," just say no!

Ordering someone to do something by saying "I'll let you do [chore]." Oh, sure, eight-year-old me was just dying to do the dishes, Mum.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 03:51:23 AM »
Anyone who adds a "no?" to the statement.  "Good idea, no?" I'm confused.  It's either a good idea or it's not.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 06:48:30 AM »
Agree with the trendy shortened words...prolly, totes, adorbs...

And the dreaded # that seems to be popping up all over FB.

Calm down or chill. I can guarantee the opposite is about to happen!

Like. My youngest has just picked this up and it drives me crazy.

POD on the bolded, and "feels."  OK, I probably use prolly when I speak - I can see that as a shortening of probably, but totes, adorbs, and cray-cray? Huh? And "feels" - you're talking about feelings and emotions, not intimate physical contact!

See feels for me isn't one feeling or emotion. It is all of them. At once. And some you didn't even know existed. You don't know whether to laugh or cry or scream or run or.... well you get the idea. I usually get them when reading fanfic. :)

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »
On the shortened phrase thing, in the supermarket today they were making an announcement about 'if you need some suggestions for Valentine's...'

I hate that. For Valentine's Day or Valentine's night. I hate too when people say things like 'what are you doing for New Year's?' Where did we get that from? We used to say either 'what are you doing on New Year's Eve' or 'what are you doing for New Year?' which tended to cover both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Also, if I ask you a question and your answer begins with 'yeah, no' or wose still, 'awww, look', I may descend to violence.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 07:32:38 AM »
Feisty.

It's just so patronising. A man is never "feisty". He's bold, decisive, formidable.

"Feisty" is just a word we use so that we don't have to use truly powerful words to describe a woman.

amylouky

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:22 AM »
OH! Another major pet peeve....When I say "Thank you" the expected response is "You're welcome" not "No problem." I absolutely hate that. Is it so hard to simply say "You're welcome?"

:-[   Have to admit, I'm guilty of this one. I generally use it at work, when someone's asked for help with something. I guess saying "You're welcome" seems a little lofty, as if I've done them a big favor when I'm really just doing my job.

Redwing

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
Using the phrase "reach out" in place of contact.  For example, I will reach out to our customers, rather than I will contact our customers.  Drives me crazy.

Using the word gift or gifted as a verb.  I know it's in common usage, but it just makes me cringe whenever I see it.

scotcat60

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
Persons - I thought "people" was the plural of "person".

There is however a legal term e.g. an inquest verdict "Mr Mooseblaster was murdered by person or persons unknown", used when no one knows who did it, or how many people were involved.

Can someone tell me what FROW means? I have seen it lately in connection with people who attend fashion shows, and it is irritating me, as I don't know what it means.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »
Can someone tell me what FROW means? I have seen it lately in connection with people who attend fashion shows, and it is irritating me, as I don't know what it means.

Front Row. So, the Anna Wintours and Kate Mosses of this world.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »
Thought of another one. How about people that use the word "literally" incorrectly?

"Wow! The sand on the beach was literally a million degrees!"
"I literally died when she told me that!"
"He literally had kittens when he found out he won the lottery!"

Do people truly not know the meaning of the word literally?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
Do people truly not know the meaning of the word literally?

I literally do not think they do.  :P

"Not gonna lie"/"No lie"/"True story"

Any of these have officially gotten on my nerves. Because it's always attached to something very believable! For instance "Not gonna lie, I love chocolate ice cream", ok...yeah, of course that isn't lie because why would you bother lying about that? Or perhaps "I went to work today, true story" again, yes that's extremely believable. Tell me "My friend's head caught on fire! True story!" well then that's a little more outrageous, please tell me the story.

jmarvellous

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »
I loathe, loathe "feels."

And "we all of us." I have literally never heard a person say it in a conversation, but it's popped up on TV lately, and an author I used read used it incessantly (to the point I stopped reading her books!).

Multiple quotes from a TV show or movie in a conversation that's not about it.

Describing someone who does something odd or unpleasant as "so OCD" or "schizo" or "psycho" or "totally bipolar." Leave the diagnosing to the doctors, please!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
"Per se."

Many years ago in my previous life we got kicked out of our house.  (Not our fault, the landlord wanted to move his family in. Perfectly legal.) The guy from the management company phoned me with the news.  I was in shock - I said "So we're getting kicked out?!" and he replied "Welllll, you're not getting kicked out per sayyyy......." and he kept saying "per se" in the conversation - Um, we are living in a house.  We are being evicted from said house and could be homeless.  There is no "per se" here.  That phrase has irritated me ever since.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
"We'll see"

My mom used to say that when I'd ask permission to do something.  It irritated me to no end - just say "YES" or "NO"!

I do this to my kids (15, 12 & 10). Usually it means "I hear that you want to do X, but I need a bit to check the calendar to make sure your thing doesn't conflict with what the 4 other people in this house have going on at that time...I'll get back to you". On rare occasion it means "I really don't want to discuss this right now, I'll get back to you later".

My mother used to do this to me when I was a kid, and it drove me nuts because it always meant no. I never understood why she couldn't just say no. Now I have kids, and I've learned that if I say no, there's a lot of whining and "why not"s (<- should the quotation mark go before or after the s?) and then I have to tell them that if they continue whining they'll get in trouble and it escalates. So I've started saying "let's see what else there is and think about it and maybe come back to it" and change the topic to another toy they might want instead, or another place they might want to go instead.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 12:27:02 PM »
Feisty.

It's just so patronising. A man is never "feisty". He's bold, decisive, formidable.

"Feisty" is just a word we use so that we don't have to use truly powerful words to describe a woman.

So true! I never thought about that before. My goal this week will be to describe at least two male humans as "feisty" in conversation. What does a feisty male look like? I'll think about that today.  :)