Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 21144 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
I don't like referring to anyone older than 25 as a boy or a girl. Girl's night or boy's night for 40 and 50 something people? Gah!

On the other hand, I dislike the word "woman" (in Danish, anyway) and would much rarther refer to myself as a girl than as a woman (I'm 34).

My Dad does hehehe.  I find that so annoying because I picture hehehe as a little girl tittering, and my Dad is a big burly bearded guy.  It is just so weird.
;D That reminds me of Jamie Hyneman who is indeed a "big burly bearded guy" who'll occasionally giggle like a schoolgirl ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
I don't like referring to anyone older than 25 as a boy or a girl. Girl's night or boy's night for 40 and 50 something people? Gah!

I can see that, though I rarely here "Boy's Night Out", it's usually "Guy's Night Out."

Though I will admit to slipping sometimes and referring to my younger brother as "boy" or "kid".  He's 8 years younger than me, and I've always adored him so I have a feeling that even when I'm 78 and he's 70, if we're both still alive he'll still be a "kid" to me.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

whatsanenigma

« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »

"Let's draw a line under the sand" (are we on a beach?)

A line under the sand? "In the sand", while still a bit cliched, at least makes some sense.  But "under" the sand? How is that even physically possible? And how would you even see it, if it was under sand?

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2014, 07:21:39 AM »

A line under the sand? "In the sand", while still a bit cliched, at least makes some sense.  But "under" the sand? How is that even physically possible? And how would you even see it, if it was under sand?

I think I meant "in" the sand.  I was etremely tired yesterday.  Drawing a line under sand would be an interesting and unique experiment.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

I think I meant "in" the sand.  I was etremely tired yesterday.  Drawing a line under sand would be an interesting and unique experiment.

Makes sense to me, LOL.

Although, "a line under the sand" would explain a lot of weirdness I have encountered at former jobs.  There is a line.  But you couldn't see it, because it was under the sand.  So you crossed it...which you should have known not to do , because there was a line there.  If you had looked under the sand, you would have seen it and known.  The fact that you didn't think to look under the sand for a line that you had no reason to suspect would be there, that is your own fault, you terrible employee.

And  now I have broken my own brain, I think.   ;D

Eeep!

« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »

Makes sense to me, LOL.

Although, "a line under the sand" would explain a lot of weirdness I have encountered at former jobs.  There is a line.  But you couldn't see it, because it was under the sand.  So you crossed it...which you should have known not to do , because there was a line there.  If you had looked under the sand, you would have seen it and known.  The fact that you didn't think to look under the sand for a line that you had no reason to suspect would be there, that is your own fault, you terrible employee.

I've run into this particular line before too! Glad to know it has a name!  ;D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

whatsanenigma

« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »

Makes sense to me, LOL.

E-hell is such a great place for finding new coined phrases.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2014, 12:58:36 PM »

Makes sense to me, LOL.

Yeah, I swear I've seen this in cartoons--there's a rope under the sand and one character pulls it just as the other is crossing it, and trips them. That's what that phrase sounds like to me!  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »

Makes sense to me, LOL.

Makes total sense to me. I was thinking about that too because I've run into this in professional and social situations. I'm sure there's a Dilbert strip related to this too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #384 on: March 22, 2014, 04:36:37 AM »
I have read most of the posts, not all, so here's my list: 
"You know", often shortened to "y'know" as a nervous tic in conversation. It is particularly grating when I hear people use it two or three times per sentence being interviewed on the radio.  Whoever uses it drops ten IQ points for each use, IMHO.
"Very unique" It either is unique (one of a kind, singular) or it isn't.  Very as a qualifier does not help this.
"Sucks" as a description of something bad or unfortunate. " My bus was late. That sucks. ".  If people thought carefully of the origin of that pejoration, it would not be used, at least in front of children.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2014, 07:50:55 AM »
"Wonky."  It sounds like a word invented for a children's book.  It's annoying enough from a child but maddening to me to hear it from an adult.

scotcat60

« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »
Re Aluminium

It's not some people, it's whole swaths of the world that spell it with an "i" after the "n"

In the UK we don;t say al-oo-min-um. there is an advert on Uk TV for a car hire firm in which the Ameircan employee pronounces it like that and his British co-worker says "Al-you-min-ee-um"

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »
Re Aluminium

It's not some people, it's whole swaths of the world that spell it with an "i" after the "n"

In the UK we don;t say al-oo-min-um. there is an advert on Uk TV for a car hire firm in which the Ameircan employee pronounces it like that and his British co-worker says "Al-you-min-ee-um"

That's quite the obnoxious ad, in my opinion.  And I've also heard the British "Al-you-MIN-yum"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »

I actually should have said spell and pronounce it with an "i" after the "n"

Paper Roses

« Reply #389 on: March 23, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
When people mix up their cliches.

I've heard "trying to keep us afloat above water"

A friend says "on the blitz" when she means "on the fritz"

Or mispronunciations - same friend pronounces "groin" as "grow-in."  Also, "reinverse" instead of "reimburse," "livered" instead of "livid" and so many more I can't even think of.  And she brushes you off when you try to gently correct her so she doesn't go around sounding like an idiot - you can just tell she thinks she's right and you're the one who's mistaken.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.