Author Topic: Taking advantage of generosity  (Read 12965 times)

Miss March

Re: Taking advantage of generosity
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
My problem wasn't candy, it was aspirin. I worked at a company that had a small bottle of generic headache tablets in the break room. They didn't help my tough headaches, so I brought in a large bottle of migraine strength Excedrin and kept it at my desk. One day an employee spoke of her fierce headache, so I offered her some Excedrin. After that, she would always come to me when she had a migraine.  When other employees had headaches, someone would say "Go see Miss March, she has aspirin." It got to where people would take aspirins from my desk when I wasn't there. I had brought in a 150 count bottle, thinking it would last me a year, and in no time at all, it was nearly empty.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

ddawn23

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
During an office pot luck last year the three people who make up X department-- Alice, Bob, and Carol-- stood up.  They announced that they'd had a successful year, thanks to all of us, and that they had bought cupcakes as a gift from X department to the rest of the staff for all of our hard work throughout the year.  They specifically referred to the cupcakes as "employee appreciation cupcakes from X department to all of you."  Everybody had one, and they were delicious.

Near the end of the day I went down to the kitchen to pick up my crockpot, and what do you know, there are some leftover cupcakes.  Accepted practice in my office is that leftovers of that nature are left out in the kitchen for people to have on a first come/first serve basis.  Bob happened to arrive just as I did, and as we approached the cupcakes we saw there were two left.  Bob took one.  I said, "Awesome! There's one left," and as I reached for it Bob said, "Oh, sorry Dawn.  Alice wants to take that for a friend of hers."
"But it's just sitting out."
(Eats cupcake) "Yeah, but it's for Alice to give a friend of hers."
I didn't put up a fight because it would have been seconds for me, but just to recap: X department buys cupcakes for everybody else to eat.  X department eats said cupcakes.  X department gives away said cupcakes to people who don't even work here.

lowspark

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
I'm (admittedly) rude enough that I would have just taken the cupcake and said, "Oh well, I guess Alice can come scold me if she wants" as I bit into it.  >:D

Sorry but that conversation is a bit wonky in my eyes. First come first served means Alice blew her chance and it wasn't really any of Bob's business.

ddawn23

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
I think Alice and Bob thought of the cupcakes as theirs since they had bought them.  Not personally bought them, but the department that consisted of only them plus one other person.  I walked away from that conversation in utter disbelief that it had actually happened, and to be honest, a real feeling of guilt since I'd been trying for seconds.  Even at the time I knew I had done nothing to be guilty about, but the feeling was there anyway.  I like Bob (and Alice, for that matter), but I'll never look at him the same way again.

ETA: And as far as Alice having blown her chance due to first come/first served-- I don't think anyone from their department should have had any cupcakes.  It was their gift to us.  I wouldn't begrudge them one during the potluck (although in their place I certainly wouldn't have eaten any), but reserving the leftovers? No.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:54:42 PM by ddawn23 »

weeblewobble

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »
not only that but if Bob really "appreciated" the staff, he would deny himself a cupcake to make sure dawn got one, instead of scarfing it down in front of her while telling her she couldn't have the last one.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
I used to have a candy dish at my desk, because the girl before me did. During 2009 at the height of H1N1, we removed it(along with installing industrial sanitizer dispensers everywhere). People still ask where  the candy is. I just tell them that because of colds and flus we cant have it out anymore. I was SO tired of dealing with it!!

heartmug

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »
My mom is a heck of a cook, and worked at a school where the teachers simply didn't know how to bake. (Not even elaborate stuff.  They marveled at fairly basic cakes and cookies as if they were major accomplishments.) So whenever Mom wanted to try a new recipe, she'd bring in the results and share them with the other teachers in the lounge.  After a couple of years, though, a few bad apples ruined it for her and she stopped.

-the assistant who saw the huge three layer cake Mom brought in for a staff party, cut HALF of it away and spirited the half-cake out to her car because, "her kids like chocolate."

-the teachers who thought that they should critique Mom's cookies, (Too dry!  Too much coconut!  Why no walnuts?) when they could barely manage to open a bag of Oreos. 

That reminded me of what happened to me at work about 3 years ago!  We have an every-other-month birthday celebration.  Those who wish to bake cookies, cupcakes, etc. and we get a full hour break in the afternoon to celebrate those who had birthdays in the past 2 months.  The idea is you contribute unless it is your birthday.  "Bob" - one of the birthday people - came up to me and told me my oatmeal raisin cookies were great but one of his had absolutely no raisins in it.  Did I mean to do that?  Don't you think you should add more raisins next time?  I stood there with my mouth open.  I really couldn't believe he said that.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Amara

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »
when Mom brought in a delicious apple caramel pie for a holiday and a lady stopped by Mom's classroom to tell her that Mom's pie wasn't "quite up to the usual standard

Apple caramel pie? *swoons* Such a thing would not be up to my standards either. It would exceed them by a hundredfold.  ;)

melicious

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 01:52:38 PM »
Who the e-hell ARE these people?! I am incensed by most of these stories. The entitlement...it burns...

gingerzing

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
I used to bake treats quite often.  Would bring them into the office and have them set out in my hallway.  Not on a schedule but probably every 2-3 weeks I would bring in cookies, homemade bread, or something.   Sometimes leftovers from whatever I took to a church function or book club meeting. 

A few years ago, I had a busy season and didn't bring in anything for a few months.  One of the directors (Director Entitlement) stopped by my lowly admin desk and said something about "Hey, I noticed that you haven't brought any treats in for a while."  However, he always complained that when I brought in baked goodies, he couldn't eat them since he was on the Atkins diet.  (Didn't stop Director Entitlement from eating 2-3 pieces of cake.  He just informed me that he COULDN'T have them on the diet.   ??? )  When I agreed that it had been a while since I had brought anything in, he placed his "order".   
Wait, dear E-Hellions, it gets oh so much better.  Here is the conversation:

Director Entitlement: Yeah, since you haven't brought anything in, I think you should bring something in this week.
Me: Or not.
Director Entitlement: You should bring in Bacon-Wrapped Scallops so I can have them since I am on the Atkins diet.
Me: *blink blink  *  Wait, what?
Director Entitlement: Bacon-Wrapped Scallops.  That's what I want you to bring in this week.
Me: Make them yourself
Director Entitlement: I think you should bring them in.  You cook.
Me:  No.  That isn't going happen.  Never mind that scallops are expensive (Landlocked state we live in).  And never mind that I haven't made them before.  And never mind that they wouldn't keep well.  But two major issues with your plan.  I don't like scallops. Not. At. All.  And I am not Burger King and you can not have it your way.   
Director Entitlement: Well, it was a good idea

Not entirely polite, but it was the only way to get him to understand that it was not going to happen.
And for the record, I did bring other treats in a while later and he still scarfed them down even though it wasn't on his diet.

melicious

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
And I am not Burger King and you can not have it your way.

Best. Response. Ever.

I think it was well deserved.

earthgirl

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »
The candy dish at the front desk of my state office has mixed M&Ms and Skittles.  Twice now I've grabbed a few and popped them all into my mouth at once, thinking they're M&Ms.  It's not a good combination. 

Coralreef

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
And I am not Burger King and you can not have it your way.

Best. Response. Ever.

I think it was well deserved.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[/right

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »
What is wrong with my life? I never run into these people. (Of course, my candy dish has always been sporadic, which I think cut down on the entitlement.)

melicious

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
What is wrong with my life? I never run into these people.

Same here and thank deity!