Author Topic: Taking advantage of generosity  (Read 13137 times)

heartmug

Re: Taking advantage of generosity
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »

As I was leaving, my boss said to me "This isn't part of your official review but we want to say thank you for all the baked goods you bring in! We really appreciate them"

That was nice!
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
It isn't only food that gets hijacked. 

I liked to buy spiral rainbow note pads and kept one near my phone.  One day, I came back from break to find the pad ripped apart and all the blue pages gone.   

The culprit was a volunteer who was doing a job for a curator.  They were marking files with blue tags and she ran out. In her mind, anything in the office was fair game.  It never dawned on her that people might buy things for their personal use.     

GoTwins

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
I used to keep one of these on my desk: http://www.amazon.com/Carousel-Classic-Gumball-Machine-Bank/dp/B000QV2GRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392225096&sr=8-1&keywords=gumball+machine
I had M & M's in it and it cost a penny to get some out. It worked great.  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
I've seen people break into those to get the change, too.  Seemed that someone's kids had one at home, parent had the key so the kids didn't get the change out & reuse it (or spend it) and used it to "make change" for the office vending machine.

Someone else thought that meant that THEY could break into the bottom of the thing and steal the money.....at any rate, the penny candy dispenser got taken home by the owner...who mentioned it to someone from another office in the building (me).  They didn't know who had taken some change and left a couple of bills in the machine earlier - nor did they know who broke into the machine later...they did know that they were never going to take candy to the office to share on a regular basis again...and they weren't too happy when office potlucks were announced, either.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

dawbs

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
I'm counting myself lucky.

4?ish years ago now, someone came to my desk and said "I found this dollar on the floor".
I put a post-it on it and left it on the desk for a week or so.
At the end of the week, I stuck it in the drawer of the 'shared' desk and told all of my reports that it was the 'emergency dollar'--your emergency could be needing to get out of the parking ramp (which costs $1), needing caffeine from the vending machine, or needing chocolate from the vending machine.  It was(is) totally honor system--replace it with ABOUT what you took when you get a chance.

Everyone (5-6 employees at a time, with a complete staff turnover every 2 years because the workers graduate and move on) apparently rounds up (including me, I dump my vending-machine-compatible change in on occasion), because last time I had to get an emergency coke, there was $2.75 in the drawer (so I could get 2 :-P).
(Considering that I work in one of the highest crime, lowest income [our poverty level is absurdly high] places in the US, I'm  slightly extra impressed)

Amara

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
Atomic Fireballs

I don't think I ever heard of these as a kid but dang you, Mel, now I have to plan to buy some.  ;D

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
I *have* encountered people who have said -wistfully- or -entreatingly-, "Next time, can you get Reese's?" Or "you haven't made cupcakes in a while!"

But it has never come across as a demand or expectation, and more asa compliment.

(Also, I used to have ibuprofen, etc., and this one guy started asking for them pretty often, and I was starting to feel a little miffed, and then he mentioned once, "You -are- expensing these, aren't you?" I was like, duh! So I did.)

I don't mind requests, to a degree. Once I was commenting about how I liked experimenting with different recipes (in response to a coworker asking me about my baking), and someone else said, "Maybe you should experiment with a German Chocolate cake." So I found a recipe for one and brought it in a few weeks later. One of my biggest successes to date. :) I consider requests a compliment. They just have to be delivered properly and as a compliment instead of "you have to do this!"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
I used to leave the box of fund-raising candy bars on my desk, w/ extra singles for change.
My office was right next to the most-used employee kitchenette.

Every morning when I came in, there was more money in the envelope and fewer candy bars. I had people from complete other parts of the company (organizationally & physically) tell me they were so glad I was selling candy, because they needed a fix while they were working late.

I ended up with about $7 more than I should have had. It worked for a really long time; it never did go sour.

gingerzing

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
At the same company, there was a story about a woman who was counting on her annual bonus to take a cruise.  So she booked the cruise, put down a deposit, etc, months before the bonuses were announced.  As it turned out, that year the company didn't meet financial goals, so no one got a bonus.  She was furious about being out the deposit, because she couldn't afford to take the cruise without her bonus, and threatened to sue the company.  I heard that the lawyer she consulted laughed her out of his office.

This.  I had a co-worker complain bitterly when we didn't get a bonus one year.  She had been here for 5 years and was use to our very generous bonus program.  However, we had a pretty bad year and it was either skip bonus program or lay off people. 
 :'("But we always get a bonus.  That is part of our pay."  (She had plans for the bonus - not quite a cruise but along those lines.)  It took 3 of us explaining that the word "BONUS" was not "SALARY" and certainly never to be expected. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
Atomic Fireballs

I don't think I ever heard of these as a kid but dang you, Mel, now I have to plan to buy some.  ;D

Don't know where y'all are, but I grew up on these. I joke that I would never have graduated college without them. It became a superstition among my study group that you must have Atomic Fireballs during exams or you would fail, so one of us would stop by the store on the way to class to buy them. You could tell how difficult the exam was by how many wrappers we had to throw away at then end! It must have worked, though....everyone in my group graduated  ;D .

Now I've graduated to Fireball whiskey, which tastes exactly like Atomic Fireballs except it has that delightful kick to it!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
At the same company, there was a story about a woman who was counting on her annual bonus to take a cruise.  So she booked the cruise, put down a deposit, etc, months before the bonuses were announced.  As it turned out, that year the company didn't meet financial goals, so no one got a bonus.  She was furious about being out the deposit, because she couldn't afford to take the cruise without her bonus, and threatened to sue the company.  I heard that the lawyer she consulted laughed her out of his office.

This.  I had a co-worker complain bitterly when we didn't get a bonus one year.  She had been here for 5 years and was use to our very generous bonus program.  However, we had a pretty bad year and it was either skip bonus program or lay off people. 
 :'("But we always get a bonus.  That is part of our pay."  (She had plans for the bonus - not quite a cruise but along those lines.)  It took 3 of us explaining that the word "BONUS" was not "SALARY" and certainly never to be expected.

My company has, for every year I've been here, and I'm going on 14, given a very very generous bonus. As in the base is anywhere from 8-10% of your salary, but its usually more. My base is 10, and this year we got just under 15. That being said, while its very helpful, and allows me to pay things and do "fun" stuff. But...I never count on it until the announcement comes out that we are getting it, and how much. For me, its never a given until that happens.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
One company I worked for gave very generous bonus. Even part-timers and freelancers got a holiday bonus. Most years, I'd get 1.5 or 2 months salary as my bonus. The bonuses would be given out any time between December 10 and December 24.

One year, several people were complaining, because it was December 15 and we hadn't gotten the bonus checks yet, and they needed the money to by Christmas presents. They were planning to start a petition to give to the owners, asking for the  bonuses to be given out at the start of December!

I spent more time than I should have talking them out of that.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
Atomic Fireballs

They're delicious! And painful. But mostly delicious. 8)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »
Where I work we don't get bonuses, but usually we get cost-of-living increases to our salary every year--it's small, like 2-5%, but obviously a different number when you compare them. For a couple years, when the economy was so bad, we were regretfully informed that we wouldn't get even that. Then our boss happily informed us that the increases were back--she didn't have anything to do with them personally, but obviously the mood was supposed to be, "Hey, that's great!" 'Cause it is.

My troublesome former co-worker Mike started to raise a big stink because he didn't think he'd gotten his increase. Like, personally offended, something horrible has gone wrong, contradicting the boss when she said they'd come through, etc.. He opened up the website that said how much he was being paid now and was like, "See? It's the same as last month!" Finally he was prevailed upon to actually do the math between the old pay and the new pay and found that the new pay was, indeed, 2% more.

Honestly, we all know 2% isn't that much more, but it IS more, and since previously we hadn't gotten more at all, this ought to be a good thing. And him being such a whiny baby about it just brought home how small the increase was, and made him seem really ungrateful, I think.
~Lynn2000

IWish

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
A previous company would honor annual work anniversaries with a certificate presented to them at a monthly meeting: "Congratulations Paula Jones for 3 years with Widget Company."  The Admin Assistant had been let go and since this was a smallish company where we all pitched in the HR Manager asked me if I could take over the task of printing the certificates on my computer. I was in Finance with no desktop publishing experience but it's not too hard to find a certificate template on Word and print it out on nice paper.

My first month of doing this, a perpetually complaining employee came to my office to scold me that she did NOT like the border on her certificate and demanded that I make up another one for her. Gee, I never found the time to get that done.  ::)

This same employee threatened to boycott the occasional pizza lunches because no one ordered pineapple and bacon for her and her husband. Nor did she like the flavors of ice cream the owner brought in for a treat one day.