Author Topic: Taking advantage of generosity  (Read 13718 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Taking advantage of generosity
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »
I wonder if posting in this thread has jinxed me  :P

I had this exchange with a coworker just now.

Situation: Candy jar had only about 6 lollies left in the bottom - so I refilled.  Coworker (CW) who sits right behind me had gotten up and left his desk just before I refilled the candy jar.  Upon his arrival back to his desk, this:

CW - Oh wow! Magic has happened! This jar is magic, it just keeps filling itself up, it never gets empty! (opens candy jar and takes lollies while talking)

I think I would have gotten mad enough to stop him right there. I find that statement incredibly dismissive of your efforts and to the point of being confrontational, to claim in an ever-so-cutesy way that invisible magic filled up the jar.  It had nothing to do with you, the money you were spending or the consideration you were offering your coworkers.  Rude. Rude. Rude.

Zizi-K

« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »

Situation: Candy jar had only about 6 lollies left in the bottom - so I refilled.  Coworker (CW) who sits right behind me had gotten up and left his desk just before I refilled the candy jar.  Upon his arrival back to his desk, this:

CW - Oh wow! Magic has happened! This jar is magic, it just keeps filling itself up, it never gets empty! (opens candy jar and takes lollies while talking)

I think I would have gotten mad enough to stop him right there. I find that statement incredibly dismissive of your efforts and to the point of being confrontational, to claim in an ever-so-cutesy way that invisible magic filled up the jar.  It had nothing to do with you, the money you were spending or the consideration you were offering your coworkers.  Rude. Rude. Rude.

I think I might have asked if he still believed in Santa Claus, too.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »

Yeah, I agree. Oh, maybe he was being cutesy, but then he should have said something about thanking you.

I recently ordered copier/printer paper for our area, which involves merely sending Karen an email. She emailed back, "paper has been ordered."
   So I wrote and said, "It's such a treat to just send an email and have the paper 'magically' appear. (I know it's not magic, it's effort and detail on your part, and I wanted you to know you're appreciated.)"

Shabooty

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
For those who complain about the contents of the candy dish, I think I'd say, "You can't beat it for the price!"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »
As for the K cups, I've seen little cups which you can refill with your own coffee and use those rather than have to keep buying the cases of K cups.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Quiltin Nana

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
Our company supplies coffee, sugar, and creamer to employees.  I am responsible for the stocking.  I noticed that if I put out a 3 pack of sugar, creamer, it would disappear within a shift.  We have 3 shifts.  So I started only putting out 1 container of each at a time and they would last 2 - 3 days.  I did have some guys grumbling when I would only give them 1 container instead of 3. 

We also supply first aid supplies.  Lately we've gone through 7 of those ammonia inhaler packets to be used if someone is lightheaded.  I have absolutely no idea why since no one has actually used one.  We are a small company and if someone had to use one here while at work, I would have been told. 

Also bandaids go by the box full, so we have taken to only putting 5 - 10 in each first aid kit.  We also now keep the aspirin and ibuprofen in the office and I caught one guy taking a huge handful of the packets.  I said something to him and he said he needed it at home too.  I told him that I thought the local drug store still sold ibuprofen for his at home use.  He did look ashamed and put them back except for a couple of packets. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
That's awful.  Do those inhalers have a "recreational" use?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »

They do, if what I've read in novels is correct.  It can enhance and extend s3xual pleasure if popped and inhaled at the exact moment, from what I understand.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

They do, if what I've read in novels is correct.  It can enhance and extend s3xual pleasure if popped and inhaled at the exact moment, from what I understand.

Really?  Those ammonia things?  Yuck.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2014, 06:22:41 PM »
I'm just going by what I've read in fiction so I may not be correct.

And please, no comments on my reading material.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »

You might be thinking of poppers (amyl nitrate).

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »

You might be thinking of poppers (amyl nitrate).

Maybe the person who took them was too...  >:D
~Lynn2000

kategillian

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »

Ew!!