Author Topic: School Valentines - Son's Daycare  (Read 5278 times)

hajisaurus

• my personal blog - adventures of an awkward girl IRL
School Valentines - Son's Daycare
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:12:50 PM »
Hi all,
So, my son is enrolled at a daycare in a class of children all his same age (1-2 years). Friday, his weekly "status report" came home (update on what supplies he needs - diapers, wipes, change of clothes, etc.), with an attached list of the 13 kids names in his class. Apparently, they are encouraging parents to send valentines for the kids in his class.

I get that for older kids, this would be relevant and a fun ritual, but these kids aren't able to even read! I'm confused if we should even participate (since we are given the option not to), but since the kids can't really read, what's the point of paper valentines? I don't want to give candy, either, since at that age, it's not appropriate. But what am I left with? I feel like it's a proxy gift from one parent to another.

Thoughts? Ideas on what, if anything we can give? They are already having a party, and we are participating by providing one of the requested snacks (pretzels).

Eeep!

Re: School Valentines - Son's Daycare
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
If all of the kids are 1-2 I agree that that is weird and I would probably refrain. It's not like the children will understand/remember that they didn't get one.  If there were also older kids in the daycare - my kids go to a home daycare so there is a wide spread - I probably would just cause the littles sometimes think they are missing out on something, even if they don't know exactly what.  But I certainly wouldn't be annoyed if someone didn't get my 1-2 year old a valentine!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:23:15 PM »
Candy is not a valentine; a valentine is not a gift.

It's a piece of paper. And even kids who can't read can recognize a heart. Or Scooby-Doo (on pre-printed ones).

They can recognize that items have been exchanged.

In your shoes, I'd probably cut out a bunch of hearts in pink and red construction paper, get my kid to glue 'em with me, and sign them, etc.
    Or, I'd get my kid to pick out the valentines with me at the store, so he's involved somehow, and get him to help me address them in whatever age-appropriate way ("OK, Joey, we need a valentine for Ahmed--which one would he like? can you put it in his envelope?")

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »

It's a piece of paper. And even kids who can't read can recognize a heart. Or Scooby-Doo (on pre-printed ones).

In your shoes, I'd probably cut out a bunch of hearts in pink and red construction paper, get my kid to glue 'em with me, and sign them, etc.
    Or, I'd get my kid to pick out the valentines with me at the store, so he's involved somehow, and get him to help me address them in whatever age-appropriate way ("OK, Joey, we need a valentine for Ahmed--which one would he like? can you put it in his envelope?")

Exactly. This is what I would do.

MurPl1

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »
It's entirely possible that they made a list for all the classes regardless of age.  Not necessarily are encouraging them, but running off lists.  And it's likely that a parent in a higher level has asked for the names, either this year or in the past and they are responding to that.

Altarrose

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
My son's daycare is doing this too. His ranges infant- 4 or so, and at 3, he'll be better able to understand it this year. Still, I wanted to say I completely agree with the poster that said the kid's can recognize hearts and such. He enjoyed participating in holiday activities even when he was much younger.

If you do decide to participate, paper valentine's are great, or they also have various crackers, such as Goldfish crackers in little Valentine themed packages.

This year we are doing Dinosaur theme rubber duckies that have little tags saying "You're a dino-mite friend." We got them at the party supply store for .50 apiece and they are really cute. Hope that helps some.

Peregrine

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
My little guy is in a 2 and a half's preschool class one day per week and will be participating in Valentines day.  While his class is very small (4 kids) they will still do a little "party".  My idea is to dig around in our stash o' snacks for his bunny grahams and make a little label for them.  "Some bunny likes you a whole lot" or something along those lines.

I will say that at just turned 3 he is very cognizant of the holidays and is getting very "into" them.  He was peripherally aware, this time last year, but very aware now.  So while you might have some kiddo's in the class with no clue whatsoever, there will probably be some more mature kids, maybe who have older siblings who know all about the holiday and would be disappointed not to celebrate.

AndreaBeth105

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
My son is also in a toddler class at a daycare where Valentines are exchanged.  (All of the children in his class are 1.)  The teachers actually told the parents that the Valentines don't even need to be addressed or signed if the parents don't have time, but that the kids really enjoy looking at the pictures.  I bought holographic Spiderman cards and gave him one to play with; he loved it.

I don't think you have to participate, and even if you don't, your son won't be singled out.  Each kid in the class will just receive one fewer card, which is completely fine.
"Humor is reason gone mad." ~Groucho Marx

Take2

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »
You may be surprised. The year my son was 13 months old, he cherished his sack of Valentines from "school" as though it was a bag of gold coins. He loved looking through them for familiar things (Kitty! Dog! Heart! Elmo!). It cost us $1 to participate, and he felt like a big kid. Most said TO: A friend, From: [name]. So not much time and effort needed to prepare them :).

My DD was totally indifferent to her Valentines until age 3, but it was good practice for her grownups anyway, since they will care several years before they can make these cards without parental assistance.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
If you really don't want to participate, I don't think you have to. At his age the kids won't be cognizant of the fact that he didn't participate, and I assume he would still get stuff, unless they organize it beforehand so that only the participating kids exchange cards. Even so I'd think the carers would be keeping the kids busy so it wasn't, say, two kids sitting there going, "Why is everyone else getting stuff? I want stuff!"

If you want to participate, I think it depends on how much time/effort you want to put into it. You can probably pick up a box of generic or character-themed valentines about anywhere this time of year, for a pretty low price. Check the dollar store, for example. You could also cut out hearts or other simple shapes and glue them to a folded piece of paper, or use some fun stickers you have lying around. They don't really have to say anything profound--if you can get your child to draw a smiley face inside the card, or scribble his first initial or something, I think you're good. I'd say it's probably a pretty low bar at this age. :)

And I don't think you have to include anything with the card, but of course you could do crackers or stickers or really, any cheap baby-safe trinket. If you go to the dollar store for the valentines you may find something you never would've thought of.

I mean, personally, it does seem a little silly to me, but it could also be seen as an opportunity to do something creative and fun for the parent, that the kids might be able to appreciate in some way. I remember a couple years ago, when my friend Amy's child was only a few months old, she was baking cookies, making paper valentines, and buying stuffed animals to give to the other kids in his daycare.
~Lynn2000

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »

This. I don't think its about the parents at all.

Another idea is just to have bebe scribble with purple or pink on a piece of paper, and then you cut out heart shapes. Easy peasy, no muss no fuss!

Eeep!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »

This. I don't think its about the parents at all.

Another idea is just to have bebe scribble with purple or pink on a piece of paper, and then you cut out heart shapes. Easy peasy, no muss no fuss!

Really like this idea - I think I'm going to steal it for my 1 1/2 year old! :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »
My daughter is 18 months old and her daycare class is also having a party.  Like a PP, we found holographic cards--I know DD loves playing with card-like things and hey!  Shiny!  Works for me.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
So while you might have some kiddo's in the class with no clue whatsoever, there will probably be some more mature kids, maybe who have older siblings who know all about the holiday and would be disappointed not to celebrate.

I just feel like 1-2 year olds have the attention span of magpies. Sure, they might whimper a bit about not getting a Valentine. But you distract them, don't bring it up again and they eventually move on

Jones

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »
I guess one could say that about any holiday celebration, in regards to a young toddler's attention span. I enjoy the surprise and delight the first couple times a child discovers and rediscovers a holiday. I assume the daycare personnel feel the same way, hence why there are any celebrations held in any daycares for very young children.