Author Topic: What do you want for you birthday? - How far in advance should you say?  (Read 2613 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: What do you want for you birthday? - How far in advance should you say?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 09:22:30 AM »
In that case I'd stick to an Amazon wishlist, a gift card or cash.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »
In that case I'd stick to an Amazon wishlist, a gift card or cash.

POD. For teens an Amazon gift card ought to be pretty useful.

I guess my larger thought is, the question is not really, "When is the right time to ask for birthday gifts?" Because with your SIL, there is no right time. There's no magic timing or phrase that's going to make her suddenly change her attitude. :( So, I would probably ask a nominal question about a month before, just so she can't say I didn't; and then do whatever was easiest and least time-consuming for me, while still being a decent gift.

I consider a gift card a decent gift, or a check would be fine too. If the OP doesn't feel those are decent gifts, then something from a wishlist (as long as it isn't too old) should be fine. Or, a lot of online stores will divide their goods into categories, so you can see what's generally popular among teen girls, for example, and get something from that. As long as it's not difficult to return, and not totally out of the ballpark--like baby toys for a teenager, for example. I find that popular books are often a good choice.
~Lynn2000

MrTango

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
I think it depends on a few factors, but I don't think a month or two is unreasonable.

LadyTango and her mother are both very crafty people, and many of the gifts I've gotten from them have been hand made (knitted sweater, hats, that sort of thing).  Since some of those things take a long time to produce, I've had them ask me as far as 6 months in advance for measurements and color preferences.

I'll admit that I sometimes have a hard time thinking past next tuesday, let alone something coming up in several months.  I usually don't remember that someone's birthday is coming up until Facebook or my Google Calendar reminds me.  I'll also admit that I tend to buy a lot of gift-cards (but I do try to pick stores where the recipient might enjoy going to pick something out, not just Target or WalMart).

---

• Here and There
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »
I'd say a month or 6 weeks is all you need.

My mom drives me nuts since she wants my Christmas and b-day list (only 2 weeks apart) by March!!! She says its because she likes to shop all year and spread out the cost, but I've learned not to put things on i'm uncertain about, as sometimes I change my mind!

Your mom and I would probably get along. My best friend and I have a long standing tradition of planning our birthdays (which are in the same month) six months in advance. Every year without fail.  >:D

We'd all get along just fine. I really prefer to have the majority of things at least bought sometime before summer starts, with the exception of gift cards, bigger items, and/or anything else I can't buy before the holiday/anniversary/birthday/whatever.