General Etiquette > Family and Children

School Valentines - Son's Daycare

(1/6) > >>

hajisaurus:
Hi all,
So, my son is enrolled at a daycare in a class of children all his same age (1-2 years). Friday, his weekly "status report" came home (update on what supplies he needs - diapers, wipes, change of clothes, etc.), with an attached list of the 13 kids names in his class. Apparently, they are encouraging parents to send valentines for the kids in his class.

I get that for older kids, this would be relevant and a fun ritual, but these kids aren't able to even read! I'm confused if we should even participate (since we are given the option not to), but since the kids can't really read, what's the point of paper valentines? I don't want to give candy, either, since at that age, it's not appropriate. But what am I left with? I feel like it's a proxy gift from one parent to another.

Thoughts? Ideas on what, if anything we can give? They are already having a party, and we are participating by providing one of the requested snacks (pretzels).

Eeep!:
If all of the kids are 1-2 I agree that that is weird and I would probably refrain. It's not like the children will understand/remember that they didn't get one.  If there were also older kids in the daycare - my kids go to a home daycare so there is a wide spread - I probably would just cause the littles sometimes think they are missing out on something, even if they don't know exactly what.  But I certainly wouldn't be annoyed if someone didn't get my 1-2 year old a valentine!

TootsNYC:
Candy is not a valentine; a valentine is not a gift.

It's a piece of paper. And even kids who can't read can recognize a heart. Or Scooby-Doo (on pre-printed ones).

They can recognize that items have been exchanged.

In your shoes, I'd probably cut out a bunch of hearts in pink and red construction paper, get my kid to glue 'em with me, and sign them, etc.
    Or, I'd get my kid to pick out the valentines with me at the store, so he's involved somehow, and get him to help me address them in whatever age-appropriate way ("OK, Joey, we need a valentine for Ahmed--which one would he like? can you put it in his envelope?")

Roe:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on February 10, 2014, 01:23:15 PM ---Candy is not a valentine; a valentine is not a gift.

It's a piece of paper. And even kids who can't read can recognize a heart. Or Scooby-Doo (on pre-printed ones).

They can recognize that items have been exchanged.

In your shoes, I'd probably cut out a bunch of hearts in pink and red construction paper, get my kid to glue 'em with me, and sign them, etc.
    Or, I'd get my kid to pick out the valentines with me at the store, so he's involved somehow, and get him to help me address them in whatever age-appropriate way ("OK, Joey, we need a valentine for Ahmed--which one would he like? can you put it in his envelope?")

--- End quote ---

Exactly. This is what I would do.

MurPl1:
It's entirely possible that they made a list for all the classes regardless of age.  Not necessarily are encouraging them, but running off lists.  And it's likely that a parent in a higher level has asked for the names, either this year or in the past and they are responding to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version