Author Topic: What makes something "salsa"?  (Read 4047 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
What makes something "salsa"?
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
After my Pampered Chef experience, I've become hooked on their mango salsa recipe that was demo'd there: mango, jicama, red onion, fresh jalapeno and salt/cumin/etc.

I recently told someone it's the first thing I've made that I like equally well on fish or on ice cream.

The Sweetie posed a puzzler for me, though: "What makes something salsa? Tomatoes? The fact that there's a jalapeno in it?"

I have no good answer, beyond the semantics of "salsa" being Spanish for "sauce."

Help?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: What makes something "salsa"?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
I think you answered your own question with the definition of salsa being sauce.

IMO chunky, raw and oniony/peppery make something salsa. But that's just my opinion. I've made plum-scotch bonnet salsa (excellent over grilled pork chops), watermelon-red onion-jalepeno salsa (good on fish) andtruth be told last night part of my dinner was a diced green pepper, diced onion and several splashes of hot sauce mixed into what I called "salsa" that I ate with tortilla chips.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
I have no good answer, beyond the semantics of "salsa" being Spanish for "sauce."

That's your answer right there. It's kind of like asking what makes pesto.  Pesto is a sauce made by pounding (originally, now most people use a food processor) the ingredients into a paste. Pesto alla genovese is the type we usually think of, though. 

So, salsa is a sauce, but the salsa we usually associate with the word is tomato and onion based.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Rivaini

• Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
    • Keto Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »
I thought this was a really interesting question, and while reading your description of salsa I started wondering... hey, that sounds like a chutney to me. So what's the difference between salsa and chutney then, eh?

So I googled it...

"Salsa" means 'sauce' in Spanish. "Chutney" means 'sauce' in Hindi. That's basically the difference.

LOL! Today I learned.  :)
Err on the side of awesome.

NorCal

JoanOfArc

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »
I grew up with salsa= a spicy tomato or tomatillo based condiment.  It is generally smoother than pico de gallo, which is chunky chopped tomato, onion, garlic and jalapenos. Personally, I assume that salsa will contain tomatos or tomatillos, onion, garlic and a source of heat.
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:46:14 PM »
To me Salsa is a fresh diced/chopped veggies/fruit.

Chutney would be cooked "salsa". (if it has similar ingredients to the salsa, ie mango etc)

And for me, salsa is smoother than pico de gallo.  Salsa has juice/sauce in it while pico de gallo is "dry".

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »

Basically, I think chutney and salsa just come from different languages.  It's not just a matter of being cooked, because I have had cooked salsas before. Salsa has been taken over as a much more widely used word, though.

Usually, if I *just* hear the word salsa, I'll assume that it's a Mexican derived dip that contains some combination of tomatoes and/or tomatillos, onions, hot peppers, lime juice and salt as the main ingredients, the same way if you just say "pesto" I'll assume an Italian paste of basil, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and parmesan cheese. If you add qualifiers, though, the varieties can expand widely.

Rohanna

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »
I would expect salsa to contain some variation on tomatoes, onions and pepper- if it was primarily fruit then I'd expect it to be listed as a "fruit salsa" or "X salsa" (like "mango salsa").
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:33:23 AM »
I believe salsa is generally cooked (at least, that's how we make it), while pico de gallo isn't.  The cooking helps make the salsa more of a liquidy sauce.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »
In my experience, the classic salsa is Pica de Gallo.  This is made from all raw ingredients that include tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeno, lime, salt and cilantro.

Chutney is a very different creature.  Chutney isn't really Indian.  It's a cooked relish intended to make hot curries more palatable to Western diners.

I have a recipe for Mango Salsa that substitutes mango for the tomato.  It also adds a bit of olive oil and a sweet red pepper.       

Mikayla

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
I always thought salsa was a bottle of Pace that you put on tortilla chips.  Then I got a Caribbean cookbook and learned otherwise.  At least in that part of the world, it seems to be any combo of chopped fruits and/or veggies, with at least a couple spices like cilantro, etc.  One of my favorite recipes from this book is a corn and black bean salsa. 

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
I believe salsa is generally cooked (at least, that's how we make it), while pico de gallo isn't.  The cooking helps make the salsa more of a liquidy sauce.

Pico de gallo is a form of salsa, is usually spicy and should be uncooked and chunky.

But if you were to blend your pico de gallo to get a smoother sauce most people here is New Mexico would just call it salsa.