Author Topic: Sweet or savory breakfast?  (Read 4210 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Sweet or savory breakfast?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
I'm a savory breakfast person.  I adore a traditional Israeli breakfast.  Sardines and cucumbers for breakfast?  Yummy!

Italian breakfasts also tend to be sweet.  Pastries and a cup of cappuccino. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 02:42:07 AM »
I'm a savory breakfast person.  I adore a traditional Israeli breakfast.  Sardines and cucumbers for breakfast?  Yummy!

:o sardines? tradiitional israeli breakfast? the only time i remember eating sardines is when i was in a youth movement and we went camping and sardines seemed to be the go-to breakfast/lunch/supper protein. as i said upthread - traditional israeli breakfasts as served in hotels is a plethora of food (breads, cheeses, smoked fish, eggs, cereal, pastries, vegetables, fruit). at home, people usually eat vegetables or bread with cheese/eggs or semolina porridge or nowadays cold cereal with milk. kids often eat bread and chocolate spread.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2014, 04:15:23 AM »

My partner and I have meals that most people would consider dinner when we get up, and then have really small snacks throughout the day. We also cook once every 3 or so days and refrigerate plates of meals for several days. So breakfast for us is a plate of rice or pasta with mince and veges. Then through the day, little snacks of fruit or bowls of cereal and maybe a sandwich or toast just before bed. It means anything heavy isn't sitting in your stomach all night, and you have food to burn through the day.

Oddly, I find this a great way to lose and then maintain weight, since the calories I need are in use all day.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Library Dragon

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »

:o sardines? tradiitional israeli breakfast? the only time i remember eating sardines is when i was in a youth movement and we went camping and sardines seemed to be the go-to breakfast/lunch/supper protein. as i said upthread - traditional israeli breakfasts as served in hotels is a plethora of food (breads, cheeses, smoked fish, eggs, cereal, pastries, vegetables, fruit). at home, people usually eat vegetables or bread with cheese/eggs or semolina porridge or nowadays cold cereal with milk. kids often eat bread and chocolate spread.

They've always been an offering at breakfast on most of my trips. Not just smoked fish. Started going in the late 70s and usually make it every few years. Now my last trip was three years ago, so it may have changed.  I'm not a big egg person, but I like sakshuka with lots of peppers for breakfast. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 02:31:25 AM »

They've always been an offering at breakfast on most of my trips. Not just smoked fish. Started going in the late 70s and usually make it every few years. Now my last trip was three years ago, so it may have changed.  I'm not a big egg person, but I like sakshuka with lots of peppers for breakfast.
interesting. i seriously haven't seen sardines in years (other than in cans in the supermarket). and shakshuka - yum.

(Next time you're around, give me a call! we'll meet up for some coffee and the best hummus in town!)

Teenyweeny

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:16 AM »
A fairly typical UK breakfaster here: cereal (non-sugary) and fruit for breakfast.

On weekends I have something more substantial, (veggie sausage, egg, and beans), but that's only because I have two meals a day at the weekend (I lie in till brunch time).

Donuts, american muffins, and anything like that? Sounds OK, but I imagine I'd be ravenous pretty quickly. My breakfast is around 200 calories and keeps me full all morning. A plain donut is around the same number of calories, but I'd be starving 5 minutes later.

lowspark

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
I love shakshuka. My mother used to make it all the time when I was a kid and I just made some the other day. Funny thing is, though, I don't think I've ever actually eaten it for breakfast!! I think of shakshuka as lunch or dinner. I know it's eggs, but it's just that we always ate it as lunch or dinner.  ;D

Sometimes when someone talks of fish at breakfast you get the  :o look, but after all, lox & bagels! Yum.

sweetonsno

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 12:54:16 AM »
I don't particularly enjoy eating in the morning, and most traditional breakfast foods are a bit heavy for me. Generally, though, I prefer savory/salty foods, so if I do want to have a sit-down meal, it will be something on the salty side. However, if I'm stopping to grab a bite on my way to work, it will be a donut.

Library Dragon

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 01:30:34 AM »
SNIP
interesting. i seriously haven't seen sardines in years (other than in cans in the supermarket). and shakshuka - yum.

(Next time you're around, give me a call! we'll meet up for some coffee and the best hummus in town!)

Would like that. Our two sets of friends have moved on to other assignments, so I need a connection for really good hummus. :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 03:11:01 AM »
SNIP

Would like that. Our two sets of friends have moved on to other assignments, so I need a connection for really good hummus. :)
great!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 02:10:43 AM »
I love shakshuka. My mother used to make it all the time when I was a kid and I just made some the other day. Funny thing is, though, I don't think I've ever actually eaten it for breakfast!! I think of shakshuka as lunch or dinner. I know it's eggs, but it's just that we always ate it as lunch or dinner.  ;D

I'd never heard of shakshuka before reading this thread, so Googled it.  It seems an excellent idea -- I feel inclined to have a go at making it.  One of the Google "hits" was a recipe for the dish, from a lady who spends much time in Israel; she mentioned that it's a thing many people she meets, haven't heard of: "when I say the word, people often give me a strange look -- like I've sneezed, or something".  So I wasn't alone in my ignorance.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 06:29:36 AM »

I'd never heard of shakshuka before reading this thread, so Googled it.  It seems an excellent idea -- I feel inclined to have a go at making it.  One of the Google "hits" was a recipe for the dish, from a lady who spends much time in Israel; she mentioned that it's a thing many people she meets, haven't heard of: "when I say the word, people often give me a strange look -- like I've sneezed, or something".  So I wasn't alone in my ignorance.
oh it's definately a very "local" dish - i like this recipe and i like the addition of feta cheese (though i don't think it's original, it's really nice). some places serve it with mergez (a spicy morrocan sausage).

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »
Yesterday, my wonderful DH made waffles with pecans and bacon in them, topped with maple whipped cream. They were heavenly.

He served them with eggs and roasted chicken.

Specky

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
Savory and low carb.  Diabetic, so sweet isn't even among the options.

sunnygirl

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 11:45:56 AM »
My body can't handle sweet food in the daytime at all, for some reason. I often have unsweetened muesli and blueberries for breakfast which isn't savoury, but it's not especially sweet. I love things like French toast and sugary breakfast cereal but for an evening/late night snack, not at breakfast.

savoury! UK here. The thought of donuts for breakfast makes me feel slightly sicky. :o

My fav. breakfasts
boiled or poached egg with wholmeal toast
wholemeal toast with Marmite (hey you at the back! - I can hear you making retching noises from here)
Weetabix or All-bran (not very sweet wholegrain cereals) with full fat milk
Piece of cheese with grapes
Banana (I suppose that's sort of sweet)
Natural yoghurt with honey (slightly sour yoghurt with sweetness, I suppose)

Very rare - full English of egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, toast, maybe some bubble&squeak.
GIMME!