Author Topic: Sweet or savory breakfast?  (Read 3368 times)

Carotte

Sweet or savory breakfast?
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
A thread (Gestures you thought was nice but others found intrusive) made me wonder why France seems to be on the vast minority with only sweet breakfast food.

Weird, our closest neighbours (let's say the UK, Germany, Spain, even Belgium) have, I think, a much more savory "traditional" breakfast. At least they used too, nowadays cereals are pretty ubiquitous and almost always sweet...
Here it's toast and jam, cereals, yogurt and a fruit, pastries (but that mean someone had to go get them in the morning  ;D)... kids will often have things like (hot) chocolate milk, for adults it's tea or cofee, fruit juice.
And all around us it's ham, eggs, beans, cheese...

I still haven't looked into it, but I guess at one point (probably the 60/70s) we shed the savory breakfast for a sweeter one because I'm pretty sure that the rural and working France was the same as the rest, a nice filling breakfast before going for a full day of labor.

What about your breakfast?
For me if it's not sweet it's not a breakfast so I have no problem with donuts or cake, things that were talked about in the other thread. A savory breakfast is often synonym with being abroad in the UK or Portugal.

Katana_Geldar

Re: Sweet or savory breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »
Either or both is fine with me. I'm just as happy with cereal, bacon and eggs or pancakes. Though if I eat later I usually want a bigger breakfast.

I love how croissants can go both ways, with ham and cheese or butter and jam.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
You're absolutely right about the UK. The only traditional breakfast foods I can think of which are sweet are marmalade, and stewed prunes. Even porridge was traditionally served with just salt for flavouring.

That said, hardly anyone has that every day now. You might have a fry-up at the weekend (bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, fried tomatoes, baked beans, and other extras according to region including haggis in Scotland) but during the week it's mostly toast or cereal.

Germany seems very much the same (my DH is German, we live in England). Cold meats and cheese with a variety of bread. Or if you fancy something a little...more substantial... you could have Bauers Fruehstueck (Farmers Breakfast) Fried onions, potatoes, liver sausage and blood sausage. Yummy, but it probably contains a whole day's worth of calories!
NE England

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 03:41:43 PM »
I have to be careful with the sweets, so I prefer my sweet to come from fruit! I tend to have Greek yogurt for protein and dairy with whole grain granola. I also make breakfast casseroles that we can just pop in the microwave for a minute and have a hot breakfast.

Weekends, we have pancakes or waffles with bacon or sausage and eggs. Sometimes we have my family tradition, chocolate gravy and American style biscuits.

English1

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »
savoury! UK here. The thought of donuts for breakfast makes me feel slightly sicky. :o

My fav. breakfasts
boiled or poached egg with wholmeal toast
wholemeal toast with Marmite (hey you at the back! - I can hear you making retching noises from here)
Weetabix or All-bran (not very sweet wholegrain cereals) with full fat milk
Piece of cheese with grapes
Banana (I suppose that's sort of sweet)
Natural yoghurt with honey (slightly sour yoghurt with sweetness, I suppose)

Very rare - full English of egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, toast, maybe some bubble&squeak.

KimberlyM

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »
I generally eat greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast during the week, though on the weekends I tend to eat egg white omlettes with tons of veggies.  I don't mind sweet for breakfast, but it's generally not filling enough for me.  A donut may taste good, but I'll still be hungry, and 3 donuts for breakfast is definitely not good!

BigBadBetty

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
I am in the U.S. During the week, I have a sweet breakfast. I make a smoothie with fruit, spinach, seeds (hemp or chia) and unsweetened almond milk. It gets the sweetness from the spinach and fruit, but I don't add any sweetener. Once in a while, I will have toaster waffles or leftover pizza for a weekday breakfast.

On the weekends, I do a big savory breakfast...eggs and potatoes (potato pancakes or hashbrowns). Once in a while, I will make waffles. I generally prefer the savory breakfast, but the smoothies are so easy with little clean up.

123sandy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
I prefer a savoury breakfast. If I was going to have a sweet breakfast it would be fruit salad or porridge with a sprinkle of sugar on top.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »
I tend toward savory, I guess. I'm not opposed to doughnuts or other sweet pastries, but they're not very filling.  Something like a savory bagel with cream cheese would be my preference.  I like the big fry-up kind of breakfast, but it's too much for every day.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
I'm in the US. I usually prefer lunch or dinner foods at breakfast and breakfast foods at dinner. Salads are especially good! It's not a matter of sweet or savory for me; I just don't care for having breakfasty foods every morning. Instead I like them on weekends, during vacations, as a spontaneous choice at a restaurant ("Oh look, they serve breakfast all day! Let's order that") etc. Fiance is the same way; he was raised in Guatemala. He refuses to eat cereal at all for some reason, let alone any sweets.

On a random side note: Once or twice a year, I get a bizarre craving for mint chocolates melted on wheat toast.  :o I have no idea why. I've been like this ever since I was a teenager. I indulge it, eat healthy the rest of the day and remind myself "let it go, for real, you're eating healthy the rest of the year."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:27:03 PM by TeamBhakta »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
I live in israel. Breakfast tends to be savory rather than sweet ( traditionally) though many kids grew up on bread and chocolate spread and now a lot of people eat breakfast cereal. Still, many eat salad ( fresh veggies - cucumber, tomato olives) with cottage cheese, eggs, feta, with fresh bread, pita. Or burekas ( flaky dough filed with feta, or hard cheese, or vegetables and cheese and baked. In winter they eat porridge with semolina. Breakast is served woth coffee, and kids drink chocolate milk or tea.

On the old time kibbutz's. They would serve huge breakfast of fresh bread, vegetables, eggs, cheese, before members went to work in the fields. Today, a more elaborate and modernized version if tha breakfast can be seen in Israeli hotels.

In traditional Arab restaurants they serve hummus for breakfast - humus, pita, hard boiled egg, chopped fresh salad.

I'm not a big breakfast person. I often skip it, sometimes I'll have a yogurt ( plain), small sandwich, or cottage cheese

Interestingly, in schools the kids would have 10am break where they would have a small breakfast ( sandwich, roll, cheese), instead of an earlier breakfast

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Food.   :D

Seriously, I'm not picky.  Now, when I was trying to stick to the low-carb South Beach Diet, I avoided sweets in favor of proteins like eggs and cottage cheese, with whole grain toast or crackers.  For the most part, I still do, although if there is a donut hanging around, it may become dessert.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:53:16 PM by magicdomino »

Margo

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
UK here.
I usually have cereal or porridge - not particularly sweet in either case - the cereal is usually shredded wheat so no extra sweetner.
In summer I'll sometimes have fruit salad and yogurt, usually with some added seeds (linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)

Toast at weekends, or occasionally a croissant.

When I visit my parents home we often have a 'proper cooked breakfast' - scrambled eggs, bacon, mushroom, tomato and toast and/or fried potatoes, but I can only eat that if I've been awake long enough for it to be more like brunch - I need to have been awake for at least an hour before I can face any food, and if I'm eating much I need 2 or 3 hours.

(Happily, my parents have got into the habit of getting up later, now they are retired, so breakfast time at their house = 3 hours after I wake up, so it works out nicely, and I get to enjoy my dad's cooking *and* have lots of time for luxurious reading in bed, when I visit!)

Bluenomi

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
I'll have either but not together. I just can not get my head around the trend for French toast with bacon. Maple syrup does not go with bacon though I admit many would disagree with me!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »
I don't consider porridge a savory food. I cook it on the stove with milk and a little salt, but I have it with more milk and sugar.

I love porridge, can't wait until the weather is cooler and I'll have it again.