Author Topic: Sweet or savory breakfast?  (Read 4404 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Sweet or savory breakfast?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
Texas here
Generally savory
Either Breakfast taco - (Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, onions, peppers with hot sauce wrapped in a tortilla), Grits (hot cereal made from Hominy), and in season fruit or if I'm running late Kolaches from the corner bakery but I get the sausage and cheese ones (wrapped in a sweet tasting bread) not the fruit ones.)

Weekends waffles with syrup.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

veronaz

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
I'll have either but not together. I just can not get my head around the trend for French toast with bacon. Maple syrup does not go with bacon though I admit many would disagree with me!

I don't eat French toast often, but I like pancakes with bacon or sausage - I don't use much syrup and I keep the meats separated from the pancakes.

jmarvellous

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 08:34:15 PM »
When I eat at home it's almost always a bowl of semi-sweet (but not Corn Pops/Lucky Charms sweet) cereal with almond milk or oatmeal with something moderately sweet in it, or a fried egg and toast or an English muffin. If we have bananas, I eat one.

Special occasions or lazy Sundays call for a sweet homemade bread, or waffles/french toast/pancakes, or biscuits/popovers, or scrambled eggs with vegetables or beans mixed in, skillet-cooked diced potatoes, or baked eggs.

Out, I might have a scone or muffin or lightly sweet bread for a quick meal, poached eggs and vegetables (or an omelet) for brunch, or any of the above.

I live in the northeast US. When I lived in Texas, I might get breakfast tacos, but I honestly didn't like them first thing in the morning.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
Some cereals I would find way too sweet to have in the morning, like the ones with marshmallows in them. Thank goodness you can only get them where they sell other imported foods and they're priced out of most children's temptations.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
I'll have either but not together. I just can not get my head around the trend for French toast with bacon. Maple syrup does not go with bacon though I admit many would disagree with me!

I don't eat French toast often, but I like pancakes with bacon or sausage - I don't use much syrup and I keep the meats separated from the pancakes.

For me, it's the combo of the sweet and savory that I like. I also think that the maple syrup enhances the qualities that make the bacon bacon.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 09:56:24 PM »
I'm an anomaly.  I don't like most traditional US "breakfast"  foods,  not sweet or savory.  Not waffles,  pancakes,  biscuits,  eggs, bacon, sausage,  toast, English  muffins,  regular muffins, donuts,  French Toast,  sliced ham, oatmeal,  cream of wheat, cereal,  breakfast  burritos, pop tarts, and probably more,  but that's what I can think of right now . 

Though I rarely eat them,  I do enjoy generously buttered grits and home fries with lots of onions (even then,  I usually only have a couple of bites). Oh,  I do like cheese filled crepes and clotted cream with a bit of scone. While I never eaten beans for breakfast (besides hummus), I could totally get behind that... I love beans.

I have issues eating solid foods right when I get up... It takes my body a bit to wake up. Most often I just have a protein shake or soup.   Occasionally some fruit and cheese , cheese and raw sliced vegetables with hummus, a turkey cheese roll up,  maybe some nuts with fruit  or vegetable slices. I do eat a lot of yogurt,  but not until my lunch or afternoon snack time.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

LemonZen

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »

French toast or waffles and bacon is a favourite weekend breakfast at our house  :D. Also, pork breakfast sausages are always better when they have been sliding into your syrup from your pancakes/waffles.  I have actually seen maple flavoured bacon in the store too. Of course that's probably less unusual in Canada.

For every day we usually have not-too-sweet cereal, oatmeal, or eggs. When I have time or I go out, I like to have omelets or eggs Benedict (yum!) or the aforementioned waffles/French toast.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
Our breakfasts tend to be lighter stuff: some bread with butter or cream cheese, sliced turkey or ham and a slice cheese, whatever fruit is in the house, some yogurt. Sometimes, you might have a slice of some plain cake (similar to a coffee cake) or the children will have some chocolate milk. The health conscious may make a smoothie but cooked breakfast is non existent outside hotels.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 01:34:38 AM »
The one universal rule of breakfast for me is that, 95% of the time, I can't eat very much for it at all. I think this is most likely a me thing, rather than anything to do with where I grew up or what the rest of my family does. But regardless of the reason, eating a really heavy breakfast generally leaves me feeling kind of sluggish and vaguely ill for a very large chunk of the day, and it means my meal schedules get all messed up.

So every weekday morning for the past couple of years, I've been eating a package of apple cinnamon instant oatmeal for breakfast, and coffee with a bunch of milk (I generally drink 3 cups of coffee, but each cup is almost half skim milk). On the weekends, I might eat a larger brunch (and then mostly skip lunch), or if I sleep late enough, more or less skip breakfast.

What's weird to me is that the one stingy-looking packet of oatmeal makes a perfectly filling breakfast, but anything involving a lot of bread (even if it also involves a lot of peanut butter) is no good and leaves me starving a few hours later.

The choice between savory and sweet breakfasts when I'm not concerned about how heavy it is is always a dilemma. I have a hard time resisting the siren song of bacon (which I do enjoy greatly with syrup :) ). Breakfast-diner-style hashbrowns are also just about my favorite thing in the whole world, which I think makes me a bad southerner. I do also really like pancakes and french toast and breakfast pastries, but that's where the dilemma tends to come in. I know that most sweet breakfast foods will leave me feeling overfull for awhile until I suddenly become so ravenous I can hardly stand it. Hashbrowns and eggs and bacon might not be any better for me, but there's at least some protein that wears off more quickly than straight carbs/sugar. I'm not overly fond of most restaurant's eggs, but I generally will eat them if I'm ordering breakfast food so that I'm eating something other than carbs.

What I find kind of amusing is that my husband and I have a favorite breakfast place, which is really a favorite lunch place that closes at 3 and serves breakfast as long as it's open. We generally end up going there late morning or early afternoon, because while my husband orders breakfast food, I generally get a grilled chicken sandwich that I like. :P

Doughnuts are one of those foods that I find amazingly wonderful and delicious if I only eat them about once every 3 months or so. It's fortunate for me that I've found precisely one good source of doughnuts where I live now, and it's just far enough away to be a pain to get to. So we tend to only get doughnuts once every few months. Every time we do, I'm reminded how delicious they are, but in a way that doesn't make me forget how un-delicious they would become if I ate them more regularly.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 04:32:30 AM »
I work night so my breakfast is usually dinner.

On vacation I want breakfast at breakfast and I like the traditional eggs,  hash browns and bacon. With buttered toast and jam.

Pancakes I am more likely to have at lunch or dinner.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
NYC here. 

Our breakfasts vary.

I would call my usual breakfasts semi-sweet with mildly sweet cookies, fruit juice and coffee.  Mr. Thipu prefers a savory breakfast with juice, a bagel with cream cheese, pastrami-smoked salmon,  capers and coffee. 

We also enjoy the occasional waffle breakfast with both savory sausage and maple syrup.  We like the combination of sweet and savory that the syrup adds to the sausage. 

When we last visited Rome, our hotel gave us tickets for breakfasts at a restaurant across the square.  The offerings included scrambled eggs, sausage, slices of cheese, slices of cold meat, juices, cereals, breads, jams coffee and tea. You name it, they offered it. There was always a fruit tart available. 

SIL and her DH prefer dinner left-overs for breakfast.  I'm not thrilled with a slice of pizza and a coke for breakfast but, hey, why not? 

Shea

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
I love breakfast foods, but can't eat large breakfasts without getting sick (no idea why, it's a fairly recent development too; up until a couple years ago it wasn't a problem). So I normally have tea and oatmeal or cold cereal with fruit. But given the choice, I'd take savory breakfast foods. I love full English or Irish breakfast :D. When I was in Majorca some years ago, the breakfast offered at every B&B I stayed at was fresh soft rolls, cold meats, soft boiled eggs and coffee, and that was also great. When I studied in France, the family I lived with had baguette with butter and jam or Nutella and coffee every morning, which was likewise delicious. Mmmm, fresh baguette and Nutella.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
Like someone else said, I just like food for breakfast. I'm really not picky. Sometimes I crave something savory like scrambled eggs, a breakfast taco, a sausage kolache, or biscuits and gravy. Other days I want a fresh baked cinnamon pecan roll with a giant coffee.

But if eating a "full" breakfast like what we'd eat on a weekend morning occasionally, I enjoy a combo of sweet a savory.
Omelet with a side of fruit salad
Pancakes with syrup and sausage
Waffles with a side of bacon (or fried chicken wings if I'm in the right place)

One of may favorite local breakfast places serves this:
Fried eggs over a ham & cheese quesadilla, topped with beans, salsa, & sour cream
And it comes with toast made from their homemade wheat toast and even then I'll end up putting some preserves on the toast to balance out the savory of that meal.

Sadly my normal breakfast is a bowl of oatbran or a green smoothy. 

lowspark

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
I posted this in another thread (S/O Worst Meal... Regional favorites who tried and went EWWW!) but I'll repeat part of that post here.

Recently I read a book (Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet) for book club that takes place in Seattle in the 1940s and at one point the Chinese father in the book is eating soup for breakfast. Got me to thinking about cultures that eat essentially the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner, day in and day out. Whereas here in the US (and obviously in many other parts of the world) we have specific breakfast foods.

I usually have a glass of milk first thing in the morning and then much on fruit or raw veggies periodically till lunch time.

Maple syrup on bacon? Yup. But I don't eat bacon more often then once a blue moon.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »
There are a few very sweet things that I enjoy as a "treat" once in a while.  On vacation or maybe once every couple of months at home...

Donuts for breakfast, Grandma's apple coffee cake for breakfast (recipe should be in that area), or a really heavy brunch with either waffles, pancakes, or French toast with strawberries & whipped cream and bacon or sausage on the side while drinking milk AND juice. The kind of thing that you don't eat until after 10 am then eat enough that you don't need a snack until 2 or 3 pm and eat a light, late dinner. 

Unless you have reservations on vacation to go someplace and DO dinner theater, when you'll be eating later and probably heavier than usual and there will be a dessert of some kind.  Possibly wine with dinner....

But that's on vacation - so once or twice a year - because most people don't eat like that every day even on vacation...

The rest of the year?  Small bowl of cereal (oatmeal or cold cereal - depending on the weather) and milk.  Fruit if I'm still peckish and we have bananas or something really simple to grab & eat.  Or a little fruit as a snack later in the day, instead of trying to eat ONLY three meals, I do better with three smaller meals and a snack or two.  One of those needs to have something savory - but not all of them.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?