Author Topic: Sweet or savory breakfast?  (Read 3955 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: Sweet or savory breakfast?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
I love shakshuka. My mother used to make it all the time when I was a kid and I just made some the other day. Funny thing is, though, I don't think I've ever actually eaten it for breakfast!! I think of shakshuka as lunch or dinner. I know it's eggs, but it's just that we always ate it as lunch or dinner.  ;D

I'd never heard of shakshuka before reading this thread, so Googled it.  It seems an excellent idea -- I feel inclined to have a go at making it.  One of the Google "hits" was a recipe for the dish, from a lady who spends much time in Israel; she mentioned that it's a thing many people she meets, haven't heard of: "when I say the word, people often give me a strange look -- like I've sneezed, or something".  So I wasn't alone in my ignorance.
oh it's definately a very "local" dish - i like this recipe and i like the addition of feta cheese (though i don't think it's original, it's really nice). some places serve it with mergez (a spicy morrocan sausage).
Superb-looking recipe -- thanks ! -- I'll certainly try doing it, including the feta cheese. Overall, it would seem that Israel / Tunisia are onto a really good thing here.

CLE_Girl

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »
funny video on Buzzfeed, What the world eats for breakfast:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/video/caroltan/what-does-the-world-eat-for-breakfast

Enjoy!

katycoo

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
Shakshuka appears to be quite similar to Huevos Rancheros

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »
Now that my DH is gluten free, we have a savory breakfast, since most baked products are off limits.

miranova

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
I don't generally eat breakfast, just coffee. 

However, I do like breakfast foods and will eat breakfast for dinner or will go out in the late morning for it sometimes.  I prefer savory.  A couple of perfectly cooked eggs, toast, bacon and some well made grits would be perfect.  If I'm going to have something sweet it would be french toast with powdered sugar and some kind of fruit on top. But that's rare.  I also like a good tex-mex breakfast sometimes.  Either a breakfast burrito or huevos rancheros hits the spot when I want something I can put hot sauce on.  My Dh loves omelets.  I think they are only ok. 

PinkShoes

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
I have the same thing for breakfast 5 days a week - bacon and eggs cooked in the oven in a muffin tin - then on the weekends I deconstruct it and make a bacon and cheese omelette on a whole wheat English muffin.  I do adore cereal for late night snacks though!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »
SIL and her DH prefer dinner left-overs for breakfast.  I'm not thrilled with a slice of pizza and a coke for breakfast but, hey, why not? 

Leftovers for breakfast are childhood comfort food for me. With four kids close in age, Mom had her hands full enough. When I was in about second grade, she decided we were old enough to feed ourselves in the morning. I love leftovers!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
DS decided on his summer camp breakfast supplements. Bagels, cream cheese, yogurt and coffee. I will be responsible for making the supply runs, but I'm just glad he's eating.  ;D

veronaz

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »
With the exception of fresh fruit or juice, I don't care for a sweet breakfast.  I don't eat cold cereal.  Oatmeal or pancakes are okay once in a while in the cold weather.

I like some kind of meat for breakfast - bacon, ham, sausage with toast or a bagel.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Now that my DH is gluten free, we have a savory breakfast, since most baked products are off limits.
Now as a fellow GF person, my breakfast of choice lately has been full fat Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of Q'ia for super crunches (it's a GF "cereal" of sorts,  Chia/hemp/buckwheat seeds).   If I'm having the plain Q'ia, I'll add fresh fruit, either blueberries or raspberries.  The vanilla cranberry crunch is great on its own. Two warnings on the Q'ia, first is a little goes a long way, second is to make sure you thoroughly rinse the chia seeds completely out of the drain otherwise they can and will sprout in your kitchen sink drain.

I also like cheese and fruit for breakfast.  Though the other day I had a tuna salad sandwich on a slice of GF millet bread and this morning I had humus with vegetable slices. Some mornings I'm lazy and just have a protein shake.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:49:25 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
Corn tortillas have been a wonderful foil for all meals, especially breakfast. Two breakfast tacos are filling and delicious.

Carotte

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 08:54:17 AM »
Since reading a recent study my diabetic mother switched from a mainly sweet to a mainly savory breackfast and report feeling the difference. More energy, less blood sugar rollercoaster and she feels more filled for more time.
It was already balanced, and the sweet was fruits with low GI, but she likes the change.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
Starting this weekend, I will be making a breakfast casserole or frittata twice a week for DH and I. We can just heat and eat or take it with us. I'm going to make ones with no grains, lots of vegetables, some lean meat and cheese.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
Usual workday breakfast is eggs, toast and fruit or oatmeal with milk and fruit. Weekends I do fruit smoothies with 1/2 bagel- Sunday I add hot chocolate with marshmallows.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »
This is my most difficult question when I go to Sunday brunch!

At brunch, I usually go with someone who likes to share & one of us will get a savory & one will get a sweet, & then we'll share.

During the regular work week, I think I usually end up with some of both. I'll usually eat both some berries, or toast with marmalade & also something savory, like celery dipped in lightly salted balsamic vinegar.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine