Author Topic: Classic Guest Story : Ski instructor vs. Clueless Aunt and Uncle  (Read 19531 times)

suzyqmit

Re: Classic Guest Story : Ski instructor vs. Clueless Aunt and Uncle
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 06:39:36 PM »
Thanks for the updates and further stories about these people.  Karma is a beautiful thing!

Tia2

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
Do they actually use the words "family loyalty?"

They've used that phrase amongst others that are equally silly.  One of my favorite attempted guilt trips was when they asked how Uncle was supposed to sleep on a hotel bed with his bad back.  I desperately wanted to reply that he should put on his pajamas, lay down between the sheets, shut his eyes, and count sheep until he reaches dreamland.  I refrained.  Barely. 

I have no idea about the quality of your guest bed, but in my experience hotels usually offer more comfort than staying with family or friends.  One of my parents' guest beds (they have two now that the kids are all grown up) was legendary among the family.  It was a contest to be the first there for Thanksgiving so that you would have your pick of sleeping arrangements. (They did finally replace the ancient mattress.)

There's no guarantee that your bed would be better for his back than a hotel bed, unless your aunt is somehow aware of the make, model, and use history of your mattress.

I have a bad back and a special mattress topper to deal with it.  I would never expect someone I was visiting to have any sort of special bed (if they did, I assume they'd be using it themselves!).  I think a bed in a hotel, which is likely to be replaced every few years if the hotel is a good one would be much better than someone's spare bed.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »
There's no guarantee that your bed would be better for his back than a hotel bed, unless your aunt is somehow aware of the make, model, and use history of your mattress.
I wondered about this, too. In many homes, the "guest" mattress is one that has been replaced after many years of use in a family member's bedroom. Not the best thing for a bad back, but a great way to discourage houseguests from overstaying their welcome.  >:D
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

jenn

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
I have no idea about the quality of your guest bed, but in my experience hotels usually offer more comfort than staying with family or friends.  One of my parents' guest beds (they have two now that the kids are all grown up) was legendary among the family.  It was a contest to be the first there for Thanksgiving so that you would have your pick of sleeping arrangements. (They did finally replace the ancient mattress.)

Guest beds definitely vary wildly, and they have no way of knowing about mine.  It probably wouldn't make an impression either way.  I'd assume most hotels are as good or better so long as we're talking reputable establishments.  That was just another silly excuse to try to get their way.  I try very hard not to be drawn into discussions of such issues with them -- or to comment on how Uncle's "back issues" only seem to crop up when they're convenient for him.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
Aunt/Uncle: Usually gets in a snit at this point and complains to my mother by phone. 
Mother:  Is intentionally dense and offers her guest room if they'd like it.  Her guest room is a thousand miles in the wrong direction.   That she can do this with a straight face amazes me.  After they're done tossing a fit over that, she eventually points out that she's offered the only room that is hers to offer.

I like your mom. :)

And why are aunt and uncle complaining to her, like you're a kindergarten or something? >:(
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »
Do they actually use the words "family loyalty?"

They've used that phrase amongst others that are equally silly.  One of my favorite attempted guilt trips was when they asked how Uncle was supposed to sleep on a hotel bed with his bad back.  I desperately wanted to reply that he should put on his pajamas, lay down between the sheets, shut his eyes, and count sheep until he reaches dreamland.  I refrained.  Barely. 

I assume you're a sales representative for a company that sells ergonomically correct, chiropractor-approved beds and you happen to keep samples in your guest room?  Or would your guest bed automatically comfort your poor uncle's back because it was free?

(snerk)

Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

Bobbie Fleckman

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 01:50:35 AM »
Jenn, I just wanted to say that you are a class act, and your Mom sounds totally cool, too!    ;D  I chuckle at the notion of her offering a guest bed that's a thousand miles away.  It's also great that your cousin turned out so nice and that you have remained close to her.

Did she ever learn to ski?    ;)

Shortcake

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »
Jenn, I just wanted to say that you are a class act, and your Mom sounds totally cool, too!    ;D  I chuckle at the notion of her offering a guest bed that's a thousand miles away.  It's also great that your cousin turned out so nice and that you have remained close to her.

ITA!!!!!!  :)
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

sarahmksm

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »
I was hoping I'd find a forum entry for this story, as it was one of my favorites!  I think the thing that galls me the most is the fact that the Aunt and Uncle, if I recall correctly, offered ahead of time to pay for everything and make it worth your while, didn't they?  And then for them to renege like that... so horrible.

It's great hearing updates, though!  I'm glad the cute cousin turned out so well.  She seemed like such a mature eight-year-old.  I hope she's still doing well.

Funny stories about the Aunt and Uncle wanting to stay at your place.  I think it would be hilarious if you did what that one poster suggested and throw a dinner party for younger people and require them to go out and entertain themselves (and suggest lots of nice expensive places they could go).  I think I can understand why you'd rather not get into it with them, though.  They sound like the kind of people who, given an inch...

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 10:10:41 PM »
Or would your guest bed automatically comfort your poor uncle's back because it was free?

(snerk)

*gigglefits*  That is HILARIOUS.

Jenn I'm SO glad you posted an update!  This is one of those EH stories that has just stuck with me.  Shame on those people!  And good for you for sticking to your guns, and for maintaining a relationship with your poor poor cousin.

blueyzca01

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
Aunt/Uncle: Usually gets in a snit at this point and complains to my mother by phone. 
Mother:  Is intentionally dense and offers her guest room if they'd like it.  Her guest room is a thousand miles in the wrong direction.   That she can do this with a straight face amazes me.  After they're done tossing a fit over that, she eventually points out that she's offered the only room that is hers to offer.

I like your mom. :)

And why are aunt and uncle complaining to her, like you're a kindergarten or something? >:(

^^Seriously, it happens more than you know.

My Uncle “Phil” passed away in November.  The two remaining siblings are my dad and my Uncle “Bernie.”  Bernie’s kid Chris is obviously my cousin…and Chris’ mom is Bernie’s ex-wife, Aunt Carol.

So, Chris posts a message on Facebook to let me know that Uncle Phil died.  I am grateful because we haven’t been in touch, we message back and forth for a while, and decide to get together to have our own little “SoCal wake” and trade a few stories.  I then call my parents to tell them about Uncle Phil’s passing.  So far, a normal chain of events.

Now, a little bit of background:  even after Uncle Bernie and Aunt Carol divorced, Aunt Carol remained very much part of the family.  My exDH loved her, and we would go to her Christmas party every year in the 90s… But life goes on and sometimes good people drift apart. 

So, after hearing that my cousin Chris and I would be getting together, my mom decided to call Aunt Carol and say hi, as we all have fallen out of touch.

Two days later, my mom calls and tells me that I AM IN TROUBLE!!!!  Aunt Carol is LIVID that I haven’t called her in a while and she thought we were so close and she laid into my mother about the fact that she hasn’t seen me blah blah blah.
I very calmly reply, “You know, Mom, the phone works both ways.”  I do not feel any guilt. 

Footnote:  Chris and I did get together, Aunt Carol was supposed to come, but cancelled at the last minute because something came up.  So much for “she thought we were so close!”
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Please start a new thread if it's appropriate and relevant, but don't necro post. This thread is 7 years old.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.