A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Americans - do you get sick of celebrating?

(1/18) > >>

CakeEater:
Asked with every affection for our Americans cousins. :)

Starts with Halloween, Thanksgiving not long after, then Christmas and New Year's, Valentine's Day and then Easter in another month or so.

I'm sure I'm missing some.

I feel like I'm still getting over Christmas, and you're having to make Valentines to send to school? How do you cope?

Corvid:
Forget celebrations.  I want to have all the holidays off and vacation time my European coworkers did when I was stationed overseas.  We do not get enough time off work.  Deity forbid you take more than one of your vacation weeks at a time.  Well, we say "week", but it's really only five days, isn't it?  Most of us have ten vacation days a year, not really "two weeks".

Acadianna:
And in New Orleans, there's Mardi Gras, which is a huge celebration.  Carnival season officially begins on January 6 (Feast of the Epiphany, or King's Day) and runs until Mardi Gras day (this date varies, but it's in February or early March).  The last two or three weeks, there are parades every night, and balls for those who attend them.

123sandy:
To be fair, apart from Thanksgiving, don't most of us celebrate those holidays?

perpetua:

--- Quote from: 123Sandy on February 12, 2014, 07:47:55 AM ---To be fair, apart from Thanksgiving, don't most of us celebrate those holidays?

--- End quote ---

I don't know that we really 'celebrate' them; they're in the calendar, but we certainly don't make as big a thing of them. Holidays like Valentine's Day and Halloween seem to be a far bigger deal in the states than they are here. Valentine's, for example: sure, couples might go out for a nice meal and send each other cards and flowers, but we don't tend to go all out and involve the kids in the same way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version