A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Americans - do you get sick of celebrating?

<< < (2/15) > >>

Jones:
There's "big" holidays, like Halloween and Christmas (for me) and "small" holidays that are mostly an excuse for special dinner and staying up late, like New Years and Valentines (again, for me; other people have other holiday priorities). I had never really thought about it before but I don't think I've ever burned out on a holiday...I do try to keep Easter and Christmas simple, though. Not much to recover from...a few gifts, some candy, let the children have some excitement, some casual extended family mingling, dinner, and sleep in the next day.

peaches:
Yes.

Although, when our kids were growing up, they loved holidays, each and every one. Over time, we dialed back on that stuff.

Oh, and you left out Fourth of July (a big one), Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Mothers Day, Fathers Day.

I think that Americans, in general, overdo a lot of things. This may be a result of the gung-ho enthusiasm we bring to most enterprises (which can be a good thing, too!).

Piratelvr1121:
My friend in retail gets tired of it.  She loves Halloween but she also knows that after Halloween she's going to have to deal with people whining that there's not enough Thanksgiving cards/decor/etc., "Why don't you have more Hallmark ornaments?" "Why is Christmas out before Thanksgiving?" "What do you mean you're out of this gift and won't order more two days before Christmas?"  ::)

Dindrane:

--- Quote from: perpetua on February 12, 2014, 07:52:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: 123Sandy on February 12, 2014, 07:47:55 AM ---To be fair, apart from Thanksgiving, don't most of us celebrate those holidays?

--- End quote ---

I don't know that we really 'celebrate' them; they're in the calendar, but we certainly don't make as big a thing of them. Holidays like Valentine's Day and Halloween seem to be a far bigger deal in the states than they are here. Valentine's, for example: sure, couples might go out for a nice meal and send each other cards and flowers, but we don't tend to go all out and involve the kids in the same way.

--- End quote ---

How much people do to observe the holidays is pretty dependent upon the specific person/family. For me, the only reasons I'm going to put any sort of effort into celebrating a holiday is if it's either a day I get off of work, or a day that has religious significance for me. As a general thing, if the US federal government doesn't celebrate the holiday, my workplace doesn't either (and I think the federal government observes a couple more holidays than my workplace does).

I don't get time off for Halloween or Valentine's Day or St. Patrick's Day, so I don't tend to do anything in particular to celebrate them. I have no idea if my practices constitute the majority or not, but I do know a lot of people who don't do much more than notice the holiday marked on the calendar before moving on.

Stores and media outlets can and do make a big deal of all of the various holidays Americans tend to be aware of, but I don't think any of them are celebrated with as much fanfare as they might look just based on stores and the media. At least not across the population as a whole.

Jones:
I agree with Dindrane...there are a lot if holidays I consider "small" and barely notice, such as Labor Day, Flag Day or St Patricks. Other people choose to go all out on St Patricks or take a mini vacation on Labor Day weekend. I don't think I know anyone who goes all out for every holiday there is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version