A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Americans - do you get sick of celebrating?

<< < (15/17) > >>

MurPl1:

--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on February 12, 2014, 11:49:34 AM ---For someone with kids in elementary school I could see how it might get exhausting, though. At least, when I was a kid, which granted was a generation ago, there did seem to be a lot of in-class parties, coloring holiday pictures, watching holiday movies, providing holiday treats, and getting days off school for fairly obscure holidays. (My favorite was always Casimir Pulaski Day.) Even as a kid it sometimes got to be a little much; I imagine it could seem never-ending to a parent who wasn't that keen on holidays anyway.

--- End quote ---

Are you in Illinois?  I remember getting to celebrate Casmir Pulaski Day (DH thinks I made that up).  A teacher told us that the state legislators made it a holiday to get the Polish vote since Chicago had the largest Polish population outside of Poland.  I'm not sure how much any of that is true, but we loved the day off :)

magicdomino:

--- Quote from: MurPl1 on February 22, 2014, 02:07:13 AM ---
I'm sure my mom felt the same.  My b-day is 12/19 and brother's is 1/30.  Then as an adult I met DH and my DSD's b-day is 12/8.  It does get a little crazy.  Although we did try to avoid "Christmas" until after her birthday.  Until she and I both realized we love having our birthdays intertwined with all the holiday festiveness.  I joked with a friend's daughter who has a 12/22 birthday that I just take the attitude that all those lights are for me! ;)

--- End quote ---

A great nephew whose birthday is July 4th is quite pleased that he gets to celebrate with fireworks.

Hmmmmm:
We have lots of "near" holiday bdays in our family: July 2, February 15, Jan 2, Nov 1, Dec 26. We laugh that we are selfish bunch not wanting to share our days with major holidays.

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: MurPl1 on February 22, 2014, 02:09:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on February 12, 2014, 11:49:34 AM ---For someone with kids in elementary school I could see how it might get exhausting, though. At least, when I was a kid, which granted was a generation ago, there did seem to be a lot of in-class parties, coloring holiday pictures, watching holiday movies, providing holiday treats, and getting days off school for fairly obscure holidays. (My favorite was always Casimir Pulaski Day.) Even as a kid it sometimes got to be a little much; I imagine it could seem never-ending to a parent who wasn't that keen on holidays anyway.

--- End quote ---

Are you in Illinois?  I remember getting to celebrate Casmir Pulaski Day (DH thinks I made that up).  A teacher told us that the state legislators made it a holiday to get the Polish vote since Chicago had the largest Polish population outside of Poland.  I'm not sure how much any of that is true, but we loved the day off :)

--- End quote ---

Ha ha, yes, when I was in public school. Does any other state have Casimir Pulaski Day?  :D

Venus193:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on February 16, 2014, 06:07:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Paper Roses on February 16, 2014, 05:30:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: bopper on February 16, 2014, 04:59:55 PM ---So many occasions to receive chocolate!!! (except Thanksgiving)
 :) :) :)

--- End quote ---

EXCUSE ME?!?!?!?!  Who says you can't get chocolate on Thanksgiving? 

Just kidding, of course - however, there are places around here that sell foil covered chocolate in the shape of turkeys and pilgrims.

--- End quote ---

When I was a child, Barton's made boxes of small, turkey-shaped dark chocolates filled with orange marmalade.  It spoiled me for the sort of chocolates that young children are supposed to like.

--- End quote ---

Not to mention that everything started coming up Pumpkin last year.  Pumpkin truffles from Godiva, anyone?

And I think that adult costume parties got a revival around the time that National Lampoon's Animal House was released and I, Claudius was on PBS.  Toga! Toga!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version