A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Americans - do you get sick of celebrating?

<< < (16/18) > >>

jaxsue:
IMO, the level of celebration is based on individual taste. I love holidays and I made them big for my kids. My X-DH, OTOH, was meh on any holiday. If I could afford it, I'd throw big parties several times a year, especially for Halloween.

sparksals:
Believe it or not, Canada has more holidays than the US. 

jaxsue:

--- Quote from: sparksals on September 13, 2014, 02:01:47 PM ---Believe it or not, Canada has more holidays than the US.

--- End quote ---

My parents celebrated Boxing Day. As a kid, I thought it was when you fought in a ring!  :)

NFPwife:

--- Quote from: Corvid on February 12, 2014, 07:13:18 AM ---Forget celebrations.  I want to have all the holidays off and vacation time my European coworkers did when I was stationed overseas.  We do not get enough time off work.  Deity forbid you take more than one of your vacation weeks at a time.  Well, we say "week", but it's really only five days, isn't it?  Most of us have ten vacation days a year, not really "two weeks".

--- End quote ---

I hear you! I had some international customers and it seemed like every time I turned around they had a "bank holiday" and they were taking 3 and 4 weeks of vacation at once. In fact, I think the union contract required that X number of vacation weeks be taken consecutively. Don't even get me started on maternity leave! An international colleague commented that she was having a hard time getting back in the swing after a one year mat leave and was seeking some ideas/ tips. Every American woman in the room so distracted by the mat leave, that the conversation completely derailed.

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: NFPwife on September 13, 2014, 02:24:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Corvid on February 12, 2014, 07:13:18 AM ---Forget celebrations.  I want to have all the holidays off and vacation time my European coworkers did when I was stationed overseas.  We do not get enough time off work.  Deity forbid you take more than one of your vacation weeks at a time.  Well, we say "week", but it's really only five days, isn't it?  Most of us have ten vacation days a year, not really "two weeks".

--- End quote ---

I hear you! I had some international customers and it seemed like every time I turned around they had a "bank holiday" and they were taking 3 and 4 weeks of vacation at once. In fact, I think the union contract required that X number of vacation weeks be taken consecutively. Don't even get me started on maternity leave! An international colleague commented that she was having a hard time getting back in the swing after a one year mat leave and was seeking some ideas/ tips. Every American woman in the room so distracted by the mat leave, that the conversation completely derailed.

--- End quote ---
My sister was expecting when our Mom died. I thought my Aunts and Uncles were going to storm her work. They were outraged at the limited time sis had off and that she was losing maternity leave time, because of taking off to deal with our Mother's death. (She had been hording PTO to add to the limited Maternity Leave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version