Author Topic: Is "double posting" allowed?  (Read 1285 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Is "double posting" allowed?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »
It makes me think the poster is just trying to get their post count up. 

Does anybody care about their post count that much, or track it that closely, that 4 more posts would make any difference?

It makes me think they're hungry for a little more of a response, a little more attention. A human emotion, I think, though annoying to encounter.

I don't know, but it makes me wonder!     ;D

You're probably right though, more of the emotional need/attention that drives it.     And I am somebody who finds that type of behaviour irritating, so thank you for succinctly clarifying why something so small bothers me!   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Lynn2000

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
How interesting, I don't think I've noticed that myself. Although, sometimes when I've been thinking about a person or incident in my life a lot, the story somehow seems relevant to every thread I read ::) so I expect that over the years I've probably told the same stories a few times. You would find I do the same thing in real life, though! :)
~Lynn2000

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
I posted the same story in the same thread once.  ;D

I posted it years ago when the thread was first posted, and then someone necromanced it and it popped back up in my unread posts. It had been years and I'd forgotten I told the story before, figured it fit the thread, and posted. And then I read back through the first page... :-[ ;D :-[ ;D

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »

I posted it years ago when the thread was first posted, and then someone necromanced it and it popped back up in my unread posts. It had been years and I'd forgotten I told the story before, figured it fit the thread, and posted. And then I read back through the first page... :-[ ;D :-[ ;D

I've seen that happen too!  It's quite amusing actually when reading the thread for the first time from start to finish, hearing the same person tell the same story but a couple of years apart.    It's clearly accidental and quite interesting!

When they're deliberately posting the same story multiple places, a clear copy + paste, that's what I find odd. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 09:41:04 PM »

I've seen that happen too!  It's quite amusing actually when reading the thread for the first time from start to finish, hearing the same person tell the same story but a couple of years apart.    It's clearly accidental and quite interesting!

When they're deliberately posting the same story multiple places, a clear copy + paste, that's what I find odd.

It amused me too, especially realizing I remembered a few things differently after all the elapsed time, and that in a couple of places I used similar phrasing because it had become part of my Stories I Tell Everybody repertoire. ;D

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
  I personally don't mind if a anecdote fits into 2 threads , especially the long ones.  Or if a poster uses the same example years latter in a different thread that applies.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »

No, no--that was me who did that--do you have us confused?

Lynn2000

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »

No, no--that was me who did that--do you have us confused?

I think I've done that, too! Or at least, wondered if my new post would be a repeat, and then not posted the story at all!
~Lynn2000

lowspark

« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 01:58:30 PM »
I'm coming late to this discussion but the only time I've seen this done, it's been qualified. So for example, someone will post, "I posted this story in the xyz thread but I think it's applicable here as well..." Or, "I posted this in the xyz thread but wanted to start a separate discussion about this particular aspect of it so I'm starting a new thread with the same story."

I don't find either of those things bothersome. If I've already read it, no biggie. If not, sometimes it prompts me to go see what I've missed in the other thread.

After all, the whole point of this site is to inspire discussion so if a particular story is applicable in more than one thread, I don't see anything wrong with posting it a second time.