A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Tell me about camping...

<< < (2/11) > >>

JenJay:
We camp like you do - for about a week, sleeping in tents but otherwise around a fire, hiking, swimming, etc. We have a two-room tent and we love it, it worked for us and the 3 kids for years. Just this past year we went ahead and bought a 2nd "4 man" tent for the kids and now the bonus side of the big tent is used for storage and having an area of escape in case it rains. We got ours at a sporting goods store and we've had it for at least 10 years. We don't get to camp every year, though, so it hasn't been used as much as it sounds.

We also bought a 12' pop-up canopy with a wrap around bug screen that we put around the picnic table and coolers.

Outdoor Girl:
Pitching the tent and staying in one spot, or car camping, means you can go with a bigger tent and luxuries like air mattresses to sleep on.   :D

What you have to consider, though, is what the prevailing weather is like.  If it is a windy area, you want to get a tent that isn't too high.  I've seen taller tents collapse in storms.  Including one I was sleeping in!  If you are camping in a spot that gets a lot of rain, you want a fly that will go all the way down to the ground and not just be like a little hat on the top of the tent.  But if you are camping in an area that is really dry and hot, you'll want a tent that has screen on the top so you can leave the fly right off and get some good air flow.  And if you are camping when it is cold, the smaller the tent, the warmer you'll be.  You do need to leave a window or air vent slightly unzipped, though, or it is even colder.  Too much humidity from exhaling, I think.

My current tent is just a 3 man.  It is made by Roots, here in Canada.  It has an extra large fly that gives you an anteroom where you can store stuff in Rubbermaid bins, instead of having it right in the tent with you.  I have seen a larger version of my same tent that is supposed to be a 6 man plus the anteroom.  It would be comfortable for 3 to 4 people, I would think.  And this tent would be high enough that you could put a little table and chairs in the anteroom.

For a bombproof tent, you can't beat the hexagonal Eureka's.  Mine is quite old but it is considered a true 3 season tent.  You are still reasonably warm, even when it is below freezing.  Their 4 season version has been used on Everest.

I have owned Coleman tents.  I found them very easy to set up but I find that they aren't fantastic quality.  If you are going to be taking it up and down several times over the course of a season, I'd spend a bit more money for a better quality tent.  My Roots one seems to be better quality.

Hmmmmm:
We always used multiple tents versus big ones. DH and I have a 4 person tent that the kids slept in with us till they were 4 & 6 then they moved to a two person tent and then to their own tents. If we thought we'd be at the campsite a lot, we might also bring a pop up canopy and set up the kitchen and relaxing area in there.

My nephew just bought a two room tent like this because his wife needs a higher ceiling height than you get with pop up styles.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF0JXZM/ref=asc_df_B00BF0JXZM2970507?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1300-86-
20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B00BF0JXZM

marcel:
It looks like people are ignoring the OP's question and instead are talking about tents now.

To answer the OP, yes, camping is different in Europe. Here people go to campings, which are much bigger and more organised with facilities then in the US. Off course camping is more primitive then a hotel etc. but campings are more luxurios then the US camp sites.

People will easily set up their tent at a camping for a 3 week vacation and then just stay there, just hanging on the camping and visiting the nearby beach/park/lake or whatever is around where they are staying.

Look at the picture of this camping for an example of what it can look like: http://www.schoonbron.nl/kamperen-valkenburg.html

Outdoor Girl:
Campgrounds in Ontario vary greatly.  The most basic give you a spot to pitch your tent and a fire ring, with outhouse (portapotties) facilities and a communal source of drinking water.

Others will supply drinking water directly to each campsite, as well as an electrical source, although these tend to be for trailers (caravans).

Still others will have communal washroom buildings with flush toilets and sinks, and if you are lucky, showers.

Where the campsites are varies greatly, too.  Most of the sites in Ontario will have access to a beach.  Some sites are canoe access only.  These ones are even more primitive - no drinking water source.  You have to bring your own water filter or other method to disinfect the water.  And they won't have a full outhouse; it'll be a box where you lift the lid and the hole is right there.  They are usually set up so that the lid blocks the view to the campsite.  And the box may be shared between two or three sites.

I was camping with friends at Joshua Tree National Park in California.  It was basically dessert so no beach, no grass even.  There was a washroom building available but no showers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version