Author Topic: If you had 4 hours in Philadelphia...  (Read 377 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
If you had 4 hours in Philadelphia...
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:28:47 PM »
and wanted to see a few of the tourist attractions / classic stuff-to-see, what would you do?

I'm driving down to Philadelphia tomorrow to see my niece, who's new to that city. She hasn't seen any of the classic stuff, and I thought it would give us something to do w/ our day. We won't have -all- day, though. I'll probably get there about 11am, and I'll want to head for home after supper sometime.

We'll have a car, but we don't want to spend forever finding parking spaces.

I thought we'd plant the car somewhere downtown (or in whatever area), and then move around from there. But I'm basing that on NYC, so maybe this isn't such a smart move.

I'm not thinking we should try to see everything by any means--maybe hit the highlights. And be guided (a bit) by what things are close to one another.

How would you organize the day?

alice

Re: If you had 4 hours in Philadelphia...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
There is an underground parking lot by the constitution center.  Lots to do around that area.  Betsy Ross House, liberty bell, etc.

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
Head to the Independence Hall area and see if you can get one of the trolley tours. http://www.phillytour.com/philadelphia-sightseeing-trolley-tours-departs-daily-from-5th-market-streets/p5

Yes, you won't be able to take advantage of the full two-days of the ticket, but it's a great way to get around and see the major historic sights in a short time.  You will save time and driving aggravation.  It's not as easy to walk from Independence Hall to the Art Museum as say the Empire State Building to Rockefeller Center.  That's just straight down 5th Ave. 

Independence Hall is one of my favorite spots.  The park rangers do a good job. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Arila

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
Also, don't forget a Philly Cheesesteak. That's what I'd do....Or maybe I need a snack. ;)

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »
Yes!  A Cheesesteak!  I may start a war here, but Pat's is my favorite.  Geno's uses cheese sauce. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »
The trolley would sound great if we had a full day, but we'll only have 4 hours. I don't think we'd try for the art museum.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
The art museum is great.  Also in that area is the Franklin Institute.  If the day is nice, just walking around in the park is a lovely way to spend a few hours.

The Independence Hall area is also full of interesting things to see and do. 

cattlekid

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
If you go to Independence Hall, Jim's Steaks is on South Street, just a couple of blocks away and has awesome cheesesteaks! 

If you can't get a cheesesteak, at least gnaw on a soft pretzel or two, which can be had from any street vendor.   ;D

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
The trolley would sound great if we had a full day, but we'll only have 4 hours. I don't think we'd try for the art museum.

While the art museum is great you can go by for the "Rocky steps" moment.  Cinema cultural touch stone  8) . You also swing by Eastern State Penitentiary for more cinema related history.