Author Topic: Thread Deleted - Not Locked  (Read 5099 times)

Nebraska Jones

Thread Deleted - Not Locked
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:08:15 PM »
I guess if your thread disappears it's just gone for good? I thought mine was going to possibly get locked but since it is deleted I can't even use the advice I got!  I'm really bummed and my husband was wanting to sit and soak it all in too.   Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.  :'(

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Thread Deleted - Not Locked
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
Threads that get super-heated or move really quickly will sometimes get pulled into the Mods-only area of the site for review, and to make sure that everyone is behaving themselves. That's probably what happened.

If it is still gone later, your best bet is to PM a Mod directly. You can check at the bottom of your screen on the Folders page to see who is online.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
There's a thread I was reading earlier this afternoon that's now missing...not sure if it was yours, it was about outing someone's homophobia on a radio show, and where etiquette draws the line, and I thought it was quite interesting.  I didn't see anything in it that was inappropriate -- so I wonder if it's a bug in the boards and multiple threads are vanishing?

Mergatroyd

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »
I was reading one about getting a neighbours mail by accident, and it vanished before I finished reading the second page! I've actually been in a similar situation though not quite the same content. I'm hoping it comes back so I can finish reading it and see it resolved.

Nebraska Jones

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
There's a thread I was reading earlier this afternoon that's now missing...not sure if it was yours, it was about outing someone's homophobia on a radio show, and where etiquette draws the line, and I thought it was quite interesting.  I didn't see anything in it that was inappropriate -- so I wonder if it's a bug in the boards and multiple threads are vanishing?

That one was called Betty has a Big Mouth I think.  Mine was about an anonymous letter I got about a neighbor having an affair. I go some great advice and I'm bummed.

Nebraska Jones

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »
I was reading one about getting a neighbours mail by accident, and it vanished before I finished reading the second page! I've actually been in a similar situation though not quite the same content. I'm hoping it comes back so I can finish reading it and see it resolved.

That's the one!   :)

Mikayla

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »
Maybe it is a bug.  There was one in the Hugs folder that disappeared a couple days ago.  I remember because I didn't have time to respond and I wanted to give some suggestions.  I was curious how it ended and then it just disappeared.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »
There is no bug in the forum software.  The anonymous letter thread garnered a considerable number of complaints from readers citing that the thread was going nowhere, legal advice was being dispensed, etc. and was therefore removed. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 01:53:42 AM »
There is no bug in the forum software.  The anonymous letter thread garnered a considerable number of complaints from readers citing that the thread was going nowhere, legal advice was being dispensed, etc. and was therefore removed.

But why remove it instead of just locking it? It's a shame that just because some members couldn't play by the rules that Nebraska Jones can't see all the other excellent advice she got.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »
I deleted the thread.  The advice I saw didn't impress me as being excellent, since it was only marginally an etiquette issue to begin with and the thread had numerous offensive and inappropriate remarks sprinkled throughout.

In any case, the overall welfare of the frum takes precedence over individual concerns.  The thread was attracting trolls, so it was deleted.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
In any case, the overall welfare of the frum takes precedence over individual concerns.  The thread was attracting trolls, so it was deleted.

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »
You're welcome.  Most of the deletions are for similar reasons, housekeeping kind of stuff.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »
Would it be possible, as a courtesy to your forum members, to post when a thread has been deleted?  I, too, was looking for a post today that had been deleted. It is a very frustrating experience to look for a post, especially given that so many of us seem to have problems with the search function.   

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
It's possible but not practical, for a variety of reasons.

And if a poster is "very frustrated" by the deletion of one thread among hundreds, I would wonder if that poster were becoming too emotionally invested in what is, after all, a largely anonymous Internet forum.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
I can understand removing troll bait.

Sewing lists use terms that has perverted trolls mistaking an interest in fitting people's clothing to mean that we'll feed their habits...which is why a lot of sewing lists (also knitting, crochet, and any skill used to clothe women) can mean that you have to send in an application to a moderator with a short essay on your experience in the field and WHY you want to be a member.

Someone with no idea which end of the needle goes through the fabric is unlikely to become and remain a member....especially after they find out that the "fascinating" references to various body parts are about as salacious as a tailor sticking pins in your ankles & waist by mistake when marking the hem or taking in your waistband (note - I am told by guys that men's tailors use more chalk than pins - but my mother taught me to sew and I learned to use pins - ouch).

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:34:41 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?