Author Topic: Thread Deleted - Not Locked  (Read 5467 times)

Alli8098

Re: Thread Deleted - Not Locked
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
Makes sense, I know many of us were trying to inform on what is the actual law or policies regarding mail and trying to make it clear we weren't giving legal advice.  I didn't get to see all the responses but I could see how quickly a thread with such a topic could get out of control.  I was moderator years ago for an adoption forum and sometimes a mod has to make a decision about locking or deleting a thread.  Sorry that yours was one of those Nebraska Jones.  I'm sure you and your husband will figure what you are comfortable with doing.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
It's odd, to me, which threads spiral out of control.  What's simple or matter of fact to one person can be incredibly complex & controversial to someone else.  The phase of the moon seems to matter, too.  No joke. 

Mergatroyd

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
The moon affects many things in all seriousness. It does seem that being a cross borders forum such as this with people of varying nationalities will experience these multicultural hiccups a lot more than a forum more directed to people of one nation. I personally find it fascinating as I enjoy learning about other cultures, but I am also not immune to feeling a bit perturbed when a comment is made in absolute terms which contradicts everything I know in my own culture to be the accepted norm. A difficult line.
Thank you for the explanation of why the thread vanished, I truly appreciate the clarification. :)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
It's odd, to me, which threads spiral out of control.  What's simple or matter of fact to one person can be incredibly complex & controversial to someone else.  The phase of the moon seems to matter, too.  No joke.

I believe it! I know people who work in hospitals and prisons and they all say the tension rises noticeably during a full moon.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »

I believe it! I know people who work in hospitals and prisons and they all say the tension rises noticeably during a full moon.

When I worked as a customer service rep, I dread the full moon.  Normal days are bad enough, but on those days...yowza.  It wasn't all in my head because sometimes I didn't even know it was the full moon until a day or two later and then I go "Ah. Now it makes sense."

bonyk

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »
Schools, too!

PurpleFrog

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
May I ask a daft question, how do mods know a thread is attracting trolls, is it a lot of new members gravitate to that thread, increse in a type of traffic or just the comments. I only ask out of curiosity.

As for hospitals and the moon, my heart sinks drivng in when I see a full moon.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

MrTango

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
May I ask a daft question, how do mods know a thread is attracting trolls, is it a lot of new members gravitate to that thread, increse in a type of traffic or just the comments. I only ask out of curiosity.

As for hospitals and the moon, my heart sinks drivng in when I see a full moon.

I'm not a Mod (and I don't even play one on TV), but from what I've heard in the past, the Mods' best source of information is when members report a post.

veronaz

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »
FWIW, a thread with “affair” and “anonymous letter” in the title will attract people like a moth to a flame.  That particular thread moved super-fast……over 150 posts over several hours when I looked at it.

For example, if I created a thread titled “I confronted my husband’s mistress, was I rude?” I kinda think it would catch fire fast in more ways than one.  :D  (don’t worry, just a fictitious example).

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 06:54:09 AM »
FWIW, a thread with “affair” and “anonymous letter” in the title will attract people like a moth to a flame.  That particular thread moved super-fast……over 150 posts over several hours when I looked at it.

For example, if I created a thread titled “I confronted my husband’s mistress, was I rude?” I kinda think it would catch fire fast in more ways than one.  :D  (don’t worry, just a fictitious example).

There was a thread like that recently on another forum, and... Yowza.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:20 AM »
I personally disagree that this is largely anonymous.  As I rediscovered in my stroke thread, EHell is a community, with members who are, by and large, tight-knit and caring.

veronaz

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 11:46:29 AM »
I personally disagree that this is largely anonymous.  As I rediscovered in my stroke thread, EHell is a community, with members who are, by and large, tight-knit and caring.

But tight-knit and caring doesn’t negate anonymity.  Anonymous = people one doesn’t know, has never met in person or spent time with, or even actually spoken with, and has no real personal, social relationship with…..i.e., people one only ‘knows’ by a screen name.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »

But tight-knit and caring doesn’t negate anonymity.  Anonymous = people one doesn’t know, has never met in person or spent time with, or even actually spoken with, and has no real personal, social relationship with…..i.e., people one only ‘knows’ by a screen name.

I would actually further disagree with that.  I have friends I've made online who I've never even had a phone conversation with that are better known to me than my next door neighbors.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »

I would actually further disagree with that.  I have friends I've made online who I've never even had a phone conversation with that are better known to me than my next door neighbors.

The definition of anonymous is "not identified by name". There are poems written anonymously, which give you a deep look into someone's soul, but at the end of the day its still anon because there's no name attached. By definition this entire website is anonymous because the large majority of people here use screen names.

veronaz

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »

Of course it's your prerogative to disagree, but people have differing definitions of "friends"/friendships.