Author Topic: Thread Deleted - Not Locked  (Read 5411 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Thread Deleted - Not Locked
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »
I personally disagree that this is largely anonymous.  As I rediscovered in my stroke thread, EHell is a community, with members who are, by and large, tight-knit and caring.

But tight-knit and caring doesn’t negate anonymity.  Anonymous = people one doesn’t know, has never met in person or spent time with, or even actually spoken with, and has no real personal, social relationship with…..i.e., people one only ‘knows’ by a screen name.

I would actually further disagree with that.  I have friends I've made online who I've never even had a phone conversation with that are better known to me than my next door neighbors.

Of course it's your prerogative to disagree, but people have differing definitions of "friends"/friendships.

I'm not talking about social networking friends (where it's largely a button click), I'm talking about people I've known for over a decade where the most I know about their real name is their first name.  They're still very dear to me.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Veronaz, you're being argumentative and rude.  Knock it off.

Diane, just because someone throws down a gauntlet, doesn't mean you have to pick it up. 

As for how mods kniw which threads are problematic, reporting a post or thread puts it on the radar.  Once it's on the radar, we can look at various stats, like how much traffic it's getting, which will tell us where the troll bait is.  Also, certain topics are hot buttons, as we've all noticed.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »

Diane, just because someone throws down a gauntlet, doesn't mean you have to pick it up. 

As for how mods kniw which threads are problematic, reporting a post or thread puts it on the radar.  Once it's on the radar, we can look at various stats, like how much traffic it's getting, which will tell us where the troll bait is.  Also, certain topics are hot buttons, as we've all noticed.

Granted.  That's a problem for me, and I acknowledge I did wrong.  It's something I've tried very hard to work on, and I'm very sorry that I slipped this time.

Joeschmo

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »

I am not a mod anywhere and never have been but I do want to chime in to say that I miss the high traffic/long threads from the past that went 20-30 pages of interesting conversation even after the etiquette issue has been addressed.  Of course it is the mods decision how long a thread can go on but this seemed like a thread where I could throw an opinion in.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »

(snip)

Thanks, My inner curios cat is sated and now curled up in the corner with a fluufy mouse. :)
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »
That one was called Betty has a Big Mouth I think.  Mine was about an anonymous letter I got about a neighbor having an affair. I go some great advice and I'm bummed.

No wonder I couldn't find that thread today.  I wanted to post a link to the newspaper article about the letter being a hoax, just as I suspected it was.

Nebraska Jones - your thread was interesting.  I'm sorry that a few people took offense.

KB

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 02:50:25 AM »
What happened to the thread the Dame promoted on March 10?

I read the first few pages, but suddenly I got the following message: "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

I haven't even posted on it so I don't know how I could have been blocked. Was it deleted or have I been barred for some reason?

I put a comment saying I could no longer access it and my comment was deleted without being posted. I really don't know who I've upset.

Jones

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »
I don't think it's you, I can't get into it anymore either. It had been locked down for several days, before it disappeared.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »
Not just you. The thread got locked down because some of the poetry had gotten rather mean-spirited. Don't know why it was deleted though.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
I expect it was deleted once it started being dissected on a number of other sites/forums.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
It was attracting trolls, yes.  Most deletions are housekeeping issues like that.

KB

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the update.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 01:00:28 AM »
I'm coming to inquire about the thread regarding my Palm Sunday experience. :/ It had no replies, yet it vanished. I wanted to show that I avoided being rude when I would have been before and it is thanks to this place. Did I do something wrong?
Who is the Doctor?