Author Topic: Your thoughts on venue and other ?'s  (Read 1171 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Your thoughts on venue and other ?'s
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 07:10:11 AM »
is the farm limiting the number of guests (i.e., they have a max capacity) or are you basing this number on the costs per person? because if you *can* have more people, and you like this place, and you have two years to save up money, why not let the HC contribute some money toward their own wedding? so that you and her father will give 16k and mayne in two years they can save up another... 5k? 10k? which might open up more options.

Is the caterer supplied by the venue (you can only use that caterer)? are there less expensive options - e.g., have it saturday morning instead of sunday, or have it in winter not summer (or whatever is less expensive), have a morning brunch instead of plated dinner and so on. dresses and invitations also can be done less expensively. I personally would not skimp on the photographer, but there are areas where you can go with less expensive options.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyL

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »
is the farm limiting the number of guests (i.e., they have a max capacity) or are you basing this number on the costs per person? because if you *can* have more people, and you like this place, and you have two years to save up money, why not let the HC contribute some money toward their own wedding? so that you and her father will give 16k and mayne in two years they can save up another... 5k? 10k? which might open up more options.

POD to this. If the venue + catering alone is potentially 12K of a 16K budget, there is a very very high likelihood you'll go over budget. 4K is what just the wedding band could be charging. Maybe consider offering to pay up to 16K, the HC can choose how that's spent, but anything over that is up to them.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »
I don't understand the appeal of the ship as a wedding venue - it is inconvenient to most of the guests (they will either travel 5 hours for a simple reception before everyone else sails off, which seems inhospitable to me, or have to pay for a cruise and take a vacation) and what they offer as a venue doesn't seem particularly fantastic. However, I can see the appeal of it as a honeymoon.

Would it be possible to have a simple ceremony at home (since the ship ceremony is usually pretty basic), a finger food reception and then a fabulous honeymoon, since that seems to be the focus of this alternative? Have the reception at a local park, for example. Her wedding gown can something light, breezy and informal (a lot less expensive), the food can picnic fare, have a few lawn games set out, etc.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »
This is a toughy. Please let me do a bit of Devil's Advocacy on my own.   

I have never attended a ship-board Wedding but I have seen several.  They've always looked a bit awkward. 

The ship will probably have a generic chapel in a quiet place.  Nearby will be a cocktail lounge where the reception will be held.  The ceremony and reception will be very nice.     

However,the typical boarding process and security have to be taken into account.  Wedding guests will be issued visitor IDs.  They will have to present ID, walk through a metal detector and have their purses run through an X-Ray machine.  They will also have to deal with ordinary passengers who are wearing shorts, bringing aboard hand luggage, wrangling children and trying to figure out where their cabins are located.

The experience can be like going through an airport boarding area to reach the Wedding. does the HC really want to put people who will be on the ship for two hours through this?

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
I agree with Thipu.  Plus, consider this.....what if the ship is late coming in from the previous cruise?  What if the ship has to be deep cleaned because of a noro outbreak?  Your guests won't be allowed on, and the hour and a half reception would get cut short.

A cruise is a wonderful idea, but I think it's a better idea than reality.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »
A cruise is a wonderful idea, but I think it's a better idea than reality.

Agree, save the cruise for the honeymoon or first wedding anniversary instead.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »
I think having a very small wedding and a nice reception when they get back from the cruise sounds like a safer option.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 02:03:15 PM »
If they just want a small wedding (say 50 people) then I say have that small wedding, but not on the cruise ship. Logistically it seems difficult and etiquettely it seems a bit dodgy for people to come all that way for a light reception, then be kicked off the ship unless they were willing and able to pay a lot more to cruise with the HC on their honeymoon. And to me that option seems a bit weird, too, honestly--it's one thing, maybe, if your parents or siblings take the same cruise as you for your honeymoon, but if it's just opened up to any guest who can pay, you might end up with annoying Great-Aunt Matilda or Cousin Floyd, who have always wanted to try cruising and think this is a great opportunity.

What I would suggest is a small wedding near the cruise ship, but easily accessible on land. Then you can go all-out with the reception and make it really nice for guests, especially if they still have to travel a long way. Then, the HC jaunts off for their honeymoon cruise. In a scenario like this, I would not have another, larger reception when they return. This would be just a small wedding, not something extreme (like getting married while climbing Mt. Everest), so I think you just get this one shot at the celebration.

I'm not familiar with cruising terminology... Does "five hours from port" mean that guests have to travel, by water, five hours to reach the ship? And then five hours back? Because I think that would be a non-starter right there--it would be like arranging for a cruise just to get to the wedding location, where you can't even feasibly stay the night, so ten hours of travel time in one day with a brief wedding in between.
~Lynn2000

justme2

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
The cruise is off of the table. It will be at the barn. MOG & FOB love the location as much as the HC. They agreed to pick up the short fall. The HC didn't  sign the contract today as I want them to be 100% sure this is the place. But it will need to be signed soon to ensure they get the date that they want. They will also have the ceremony at the venue, but it will be outside by the lake.

Many of your thoughts and opinions rolled around in my mind. Thank you, you helped validate my thoughts of the cruise wedding. 

11 months ago, I was told by doctors to plan my dd's funeral because of a freak accident, today I am helping to plan her wedding.  I am so very thankful.