Author Topic: Passwords (s/o of the Beggars, Moochers and Scammers thread)  (Read 2242 times)

Amara

Passwords (s/o of the Beggars, Moochers and Scammers thread)
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:22:16 PM »
I got an email from Kickstarter.Com (fund raising website) today saying their data was hacked.  They said email addresses and passwords were taken so if you used the same password for any other site it was advisable to change it. 

Since they included a link to change your data I assumed it was a scam.  Hours later, I went to the official website and they DID have a warning about stolen data.

Because I'm lazy about passwords (Paypal, Amazon, etc.) I spent a frantic 20 minutes changing each an every one.  Then I deleted my Kickstarter account.  If a friend or relative launches a project, I (might) send a check.

The quote above is from Otterpop. I started thinking about passwords, how we choose them, if we have multiple ones, how well we guard them. I'd be very interested in others' methods.

I have about 120 passwords. I certainly couldn't remember them all, though I would guess I have about 15 that I regularly use and know. Every one of them is listed in an Excel datasheet that is itself locked under its own password. Mine tend to be complex; at a minimum they have letters, symbols and numbers that have been made uppercase, lowercase, mixed up, unusual combinations. In other words, they would be very difficult to guess. It was kind of funny when I closed down my website and called the ISP to cancel my account. When I gave the rep the password she was astounded that it contained 23 letters, four different symbols and three numbers, all mixed up. And she wondered how I remembered it.

So when Otterpop posted about being "lazy" about her passwords it prompted me to wonder if I was unusual. What do you do?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: Passwords (s/o of the Beggars, Moochers and Scammers thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
I have real passwords on the accounts that matter (that are tied to monetary things or personal info) and easy passwords on the rest. I'd have them all the same on the easy ones, but they all have different requirements.

Things that annoy me :1) websites that call for some sort of alphanumeric 12 digit code to access "your account" which only allows you to read articles for free. (Those are becoming less frequent)
2)websites where the username is something other than my email. 

Mary Lennox

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »
I have 3 words and 3 number sequences that I switch around, unless it's for very important info like online banking.

What I really hate when I sign up for things, is they just give you a space to put your password. So I put my usual one in, it's 7 letters, all lowercase, no numbers. But then it's rejected because the password needs 8 characters and a number, symbol or uppercase letter. Why didn't you say so in the first place?!?!

HoneyBee42

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »
I have a system which generates a five letter, three digit password which I will add a punctuation mark (and always the same one) if it is required.  All of my personal financial ones have the same password, all of my fun stuff has the same password (but different from the first password), and at work where my passwords have to be changed on varying lengths of time, I just have a note that tells me what series (i.e. the first letter of the password) I am on for that particular site.  I have 13 rotating passwords that I use for work purposes.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
I got an email from Kickstarter.Com (fund raising website) today saying their data was hacked.  They said email addresses and passwords were taken so if you used the same password for any other site it was advisable to change it. 

Since they included a link to change your data I assumed it was a scam.  Hours later, I went to the official website and they DID have a warning about stolen data.

Because I'm lazy about passwords (Paypal, Amazon, etc.) I spent a frantic 20 minutes changing each an every one.  Then I deleted my Kickstarter account.  If a friend or relative launches a project, I (might) send a check.

The quote above is from Otterpop. I started thinking about passwords, how we choose them, if we have multiple ones, how well we guard them. I'd be very interested in others' methods.

I have about 120 passwords. I certainly couldn't remember them all, though I would guess I have about 15 that I regularly use and know. Every one of them is listed in an Excel datasheet that is itself locked under its own password. Mine tend to be complex; at a minimum they have letters, symbols and numbers that have been made uppercase, lowercase, mixed up, unusual combinations. In other words, they would be very difficult to guess. It was kind of funny when I closed down my website and called the ISP to cancel my account. When I gave the rep the password she was astounded that it contained 23 letters, four different symbols and three numbers, all mixed up. And she wondered how I remembered it.

So when Otterpop posted about being "lazy" about her passwords it prompted me to wonder if I was unusual. What do you do?

I have kind of a set that I tend to pull from at any given time, but I also have an app on my phone that I use to store which site uses which username/pw combination, since user name also frequently varies.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Otterpop

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »
Hey, I'm flattered Amara  8).  Or should I be...  ???

I use a combination of my husbands name, my daughter's names, a few meaningful numbers and a punctuation mark.  Problem is, I'm paranoid about writing them down and store them in my head only.  Consequently I frequently forget the different combinations and have to auto-request them to be emailed to me again and again.  This takes time and increases risk so I started using just one combination.   The websites I frequently buy from were the ones I had to change the passwords for today.

(If I suddenly start spouting gibberish or insulting random people, you'll know my identity has been stolen at Ehell)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:24:30 PM by Otterpop »

SheltieMom

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »
I use a free program called LastPass. It generates and stores all my user names and passwords, except my online banking, which I don't take any chances with. I only have to remember the one password for the program. It also has the option of automatically logging me in to websites, so I don't even have to do that. I have LastPass set up as my homepage, so it automatically comes up, and I log in to it, then click the websites from my vault. When my computer had to have some work done, I installed LastPass on my husband's computer and was able to access everything from there.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

betty

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:59:41 PM »
I use password-management software to generate and remember passwords. The software I use is 1Password, but there are other similar programs. 1Password is pay software, but IMO it is worth every penny. It allows me to use different, complex passwords for everything, and can automatically fill in passwords on my web browser and my iPhone. It encrypts the data. It also gives me a place to store and encrypt other private data, like social security numbers. I just have to remember my one master password to unlock the software. I just make sure my dh also knows my master password in case of emergency.

Bonus: Since all my passwords are in 1Password, I was able to do a quick search to be sure that my kickstarter password was unique, so I know I only need to change that one in reaction to this breach.

luna_elvellon

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 12:05:43 AM »
I have a couple easy-to-remember passwords I use for unimportant stuff (an online puzzle site with no money involved, for example), while for other sites I invent a new one for each using a couple favorite methods. I keep them all written down, though I at least try not to store them in an overly-obvious place. I also have a few e-mails I alternate between depending on the nature of the site, so that helps a little.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 12:07:46 AM »
I just have a formula.  I use the same base string for just about everything, which has numbers and letters and capitals and lowercase and a typographical symbol just for variety - I'll say it's "Ima99%er", for sake of example.  Then for each website, I add the first two letters of the website name: Amazon would be "Ima99%erAm" and eHell would be "Ima99%erEh" and so on.  If hackers got my password for a given site (such as they did with Kickstarter), they'd have no way to tell that "Ima99%erKi" was a formula - all they could do is run it and my usual username against other websites and when it didn't match, they'd move on.

It makes things a lot easier to remember, especially with sites that give you a certain number of tries to remember your password - I know it's either my "use for everything I really don't care about" password (which is not particularly secure) or my formula.  And if it's neither, I know I probably never signed up for that site in the first place!

Bluenomi

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 12:11:02 AM »
I have a base password that I use variations of. The base is 6 random letters I was assigned at uni for a password and couldn't change do had to learn it. I add capitals and numbers as required. The advantage is I can write passwords down as uni134 and I know what it us but others won't.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
I have three passwords that I'll rotate through for work or home. Not common, but easy for me to remember.

For example when I worked at St. John the Baptist school I would rotate silver platter, locust, and forerunner.  They are all words related to St. John the Baptist. I could remember them, but most people wouldn't guess.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 12:37:47 AM »
I have 3 that I usually use.  Level One is for forums and places that you wonder "Why do they need a password?"  :o   That one is a pet's nickname plus the year it was born.

Level Two is for personal information, but not monetary. That one is a nonsense word + significant number, like the year my grandmother was born.

Level Three is for monetary things like my Paypal account.  Again a nonsense word + significant number, but with raNdom CapS.   I'm hesitant to use symbols, because IIRC, some symbols like ? are used in programming and it gives the computer fits if you use them.

I keep them in a list on my computer, password protected with a password that is used nowhere else.  And even if someone should happen to break into that, they wouldn't get the whole password, because they're coded, just enough there to tell ME what they are.  2834Z*G* doesn't mean anything to you, right?  ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 12:43:54 AM »
I use a free program called LastPass. It generates and stores all my user names and passwords, except my online banking, which I don't take any chances with. I only have to remember the one password for the program. It also has the option of automatically logging me in to websites, so I don't even have to do that. I have LastPass set up as my homepage, so it automatically comes up, and I log in to it, then click the websites from my vault. When my computer had to have some work done, I installed LastPass on my husband's computer and was able to access everything from there.

POD to the nth degree about Lastpass  I have a ridiculously difficult password to get into it, but all of my passwords are stored here.  I LOVE their password generator.  They also have an onscreen keyboard if you are not comfortable with typing in passwords on a different computer

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 12:54:47 AM »
At a previous job, we had to change passwords as a suite of three every 60 or 90 days and we could not reuse the previous password (we could go back more than one - if we "rotated" which account had which password in the suite went to which account).

I started picking a book (or series of books) and picking three "somethings" out of it for each of the passwords.  Reminder hint might be "his", "hers", "something else".  To give an example - say Harry Potter and whatever was out most recently - HarryPotter, HedwigOwl, and Number934 (couldn't use a space or a / to make it 9 3/4).  To mix it up more - Harry might be H@rri instead, a letter might be changed to a similar numeral, or I'd add a number (page number?) to a short name (say, the first page that item showed up on - or the chapter number if the name was longer).  Anything to get it up to the required size but let me have a memory crutch....without writing down more than a cryptic hint. 

Because nobody but me knew which book I might have been reading the weekend before.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?