Author Topic: Passwords (s/o of the Beggars, Moochers and Scammers thread)  (Read 2862 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: Passwords (s/o of the Beggars, Moochers and Scammers thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 12:22:20 AM »
One hint I found somewhere, to help avoid using "dictionary" words, was to take a phrase and use the first letters of each word.

So, for example, say you love Romeo and Juliet.  You love the line, "O, what light through yonder window breaks."  So your password would be Owltywb.  If you want to/are required to add a number, you can replace the O with a 0 or the lowercaseL with a 1.

I've also used bible verses, with similar l33t replacements.  So instead of John3:16, I might have J0hn3:l6 (with an L for that 1).

Note: None of my passwords are actually Romeo and Juliet or John 3:16.   ;D

I've been getting by my banking password by changing only the odd symbol every 3 months. I'm up to % now and still have the top row to go, then there are the other weird things lurking, so I'm thinking I'll be dead before I run out, or Bank will have changed the rules. Makes me tired.

I use a combination of these methods.  The core of my password is the letters of a phrase, as described with the Romeo and Juliet example.  The first letter is a capital, and there is a number on the end that has a meaning to me but is not easily guessed by most people.  On the very end is a symbol, and every time I have to change my password, I move one symbol to the right across the top row of the keyboard.  And when I hit the end, I go back to the beginning.

So, if I use the example given in the post above, my password would be Owltywb372! , and then 90 days later would become Owltywb372@ , and so on until eventually it becomes the one with the exclamation mark again.

That is only for my password at work, though, which requires at least one capital letter and one symbol and one number and must be changed every 90 days.  Passwords for other things, depending on how secure they need to be, are usually just the core password (owltywb in this example) or the core password plus the numbers (owltywb372).  Ones that need to be secure but don't need to be changed, such as my bank account and my facebook account, are usually just Owltywb372! and they just stay that way.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:24:21 AM by whatsanenigma »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:26 AM »
This thread reminds me of this xkcd strip: http://xkcd.com/936/

For grins and giggles, I once tried actually using "correct horse battery staple" as a password on a site and got an error to not take webcomic advice too literally. <G>
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

SoCalVal

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
I have three base passwords -- two of those have two versions I use.  Since I now have so many sites I log into which have different password requirements (minimum characters, must have symbols, blah blah blah), I've made notes to myself on my computer - new, old, WorkEmailBrowser, short, long.  I do the same to remind myself of my log-in name -- SoCalVal first and middle initials old name, SoCalVal first, both middle initials new name.  So, I'll forget at times what my password is and look at the note I made myself, which will look something like this:  Website -- SoCalValFirstInitialMiddleInitialMiddleInitialNewLastName New 2x ("New 2x" = new personal password entered twice or "New Old Long" = new personal password + old password long version).

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »
^^
That was pretty common advice at major corporations which is why companies like mine prohibit reuse of the same letters for up to 12 password changes.
I understand that changing them and requiring numbers and symbols is for security purposes -- but really, if you change them every 7 or 15 or 30 days, doesn't that INCREASE the possibility that the most current password is going to be on a post-it somewhere on the screen or pinned to the cubical wall?

Yep.

A new, original password for every reset sounds like a good idea in theory. But in practice, if there's no continuity between passwords, and they have to be juggled repeatedly, it becomes really tough for the average user to keep track any other way than something much less secure than pure memory.

that is why I use a theme. For a while it was gemstones. Then cities. So I don't have to write down the password, but it is still different from the one that came before.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
^^
That was pretty common advice at major corporations which is why companies like mine prohibit reuse of the same letters for up to 12 password changes.
I understand that changing them and requiring numbers and symbols is for security purposes -- but really, if you change them every 7 or 15 or 30 days, doesn't that INCREASE the possibility that the most current password is going to be on a post-it somewhere on the screen or pinned to the cubical wall?

Yep.

A new, original password for every reset sounds like a good idea in theory. But in practice, if there's no continuity between passwords, and they have to be juggled repeatedly, it becomes really tough for the average user to keep track any other way than something much less secure than pure memory.

No, since most of ur users will be required to create a new password in the morning and then end up re-entering it 4 to 5 times per day when their PC goes into standby mode after 4 min of inactivity, most have their new ones memorized by end of day. And since having a password written down near their workstation is a severe security violation, most are pretty good about getting used to the change.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »
I pick a sentence that contains numbers, and usually end with an exclamation point.

so, "I love our eight kitties so very very much!" is Ilo8ksvvm!

or "I started dating The Sweetie in 2008!" is IsdTSi2008!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

SoCalVal

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 04:54:06 PM »
I forgot to mention that one of my base passwords is a Greek or Latin word I thought was neat.  I also figured that a) I'd, at that point, never mentioned the word or phrase to anyone or associated it with me and b) a lot of people don't know Latin or ancient Greek words nor would they associate any specific ones with me.

Actually, I just realized I do have three other passwords for my personal accounts that I use only for those specific accounts -- two are takes on Latin or ancient Greek words (with numbers in place of some letters).

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »
One method I use is to come up with a common phrase and then move my fingers one key to the right or left or up on the keyboard before typing it.  Works best if you touch-type.

likethis = ;olryjod or kujwrgua or o8i35y8w