Author Topic: Personal Letter of Reference for a Friend  (Read 1038 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Personal Letter of Reference for a Friend
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »
So: she has keys to your dad's house and is someone you trust implicitly--that's valuable for an employer to know. She is a reliable, cheerful person who is not afraid of hard or mundane work, which you know because of her participation in the sugarbush projects together. She is enjoyable to be around, which you know because you've spent time with her in social situations, in emotional crises, and in work projects.

This makes sense; I'll try to rework the letter tomorrow after I've slept on it.

Amara's version is too formal for this situation, knowing the town culture.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Personal Letter of Reference for a Friend
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »
Try that trick of making her the subject of every sentence. Then you can go back and smooth it out, but this will keep you on the right track.

Also note the "she is this and I know because of this concrete experience."

I'm known for my recommendations, and I believe the secret to my success is to try to give a (short) version of a concrete example of the character trait/work habit I am trying to tout.
   In other words, I provide evidence. It makes the assertion "She is reliable and you can count on her" even more powerful when I say, "even though she was a freelancer, she moved a personal appointment when a sudden crisis workload hit our department so that she could be available." See?