Author Topic: a piece of humorous wisdom on the value of caller ID  (Read 2868 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
a piece of humorous wisdom on the value of caller ID
« on: February 16, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
From a list of "32 truths for mature humans":

17. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: a piece of humorous wisdom on the value of caller ID
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »
I love caller ID.

checkitnice

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
I keep some people's numbers in my phone simply so that I can block them, or make their ringtone *silent*. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
I keep some people's numbers in my phone simply so that I can block them, or make their ringtone *silent*. 

WORD

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »
I love caller ID even more than voice mail.

This is how we avoid junk calls. If we don't recognize the number or name, we don't pick up. Took me years to convince Lucas to do that. They'll leave a message if it is important. We have tons of blank responses.

It makes me kind of sad that we miss some of the fun calls I see reported in the Scams thread, though. Too bad the Do Not Call List is so ineffective - otherwise we might answer more often.

Texas Mom

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
Toots, how true!

My answering machine is off & I've had to start answering some calls.  Every 2 years, I get a lot of robo calls from various organizations.  If I don't answer, it dials me again in 5 -10 minutes.  Answer, click is the only way to get them to stop.

greencat

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 04:22:31 AM »
Back in the day, my old cellphone model and my old cellphone company didn't have a mechanism to allow me to actually block calls.  I started storing the numbers of ex boyfriends, telemarketers, etc. in my phone as "NO" because I didn't know anyone with a name that short, and I could tell with a quick glance that it was one of those harassing numbers and terminate the call.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
My phone has the call block feature, so I can look in call history and tell it to block that number. Love it!

By the way, I haven't had a land line phone for 14 years, so this is on a cell phone.

heartmug

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Caller id is the greatest invention ever! :)
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

bridalviolet

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
I have the kind of caller ID that even *speaks* the name out loud. So if I'm watching tv and my phone suddenly starts saying "Call from Annoying Relative," I don't even have to get up. (How lazy am I?)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
My caller ID flashes on the TV

dawbs

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
Back in the day, my old cellphone model and my old cellphone company didn't have a mechanism to allow me to actually block calls.  I started storing the numbers of ex boyfriends, telemarketers, etc. in my phone as "NO" because I didn't know anyone with a name that short, and I could tell with a quick glance that it was one of those harassing numbers and terminate the call.

I still ahve this.
telemarketers are on my list as zzzzBAD because it puts them at the end of the alphabetical list of contacts and is clearly obvious.
And it has a silent ringtone set for all 3million contact numbers for Mr. zzzBAD
I added another of his numbers today :)

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »

Oooh, I like that name.  I get calls from Mr Spammy Spam Spam.   ;D

I still ahve this.
telemarketers are on my list as zzzzBAD because it puts them at the end of the alphabetical list of contacts and is clearly obvious.
And it has a silent ringtone set for all 3million contact numbers for Mr. zzzBAD

MrTango

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »

I still ahve this.

My new (as of December) cell phone actually has an option to put numbers on a "reject" list. When anyone on this list calls, the phone won't ring, won't show a missed call, they aren't able to leave a voicemail.  The fact that they called does show up in the call log with a little icon showing it was a rejected call.

Arila

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »

I still ahve this.

My new (as of December) cell phone actually has an option to put numbers on a "reject" list. When anyone on this list calls, the phone won't ring, won't show a missed call, they aren't able to leave a voicemail.  The fact that they called does show up in the call log with a little icon showing it was a rejected call.

The problem I'm having now is that the number is different almost every time, so most of the time the call still gets through. :(