General Etiquette > Family and Children

Your daughter smells

(1/21) > >>

djinnidjream:
Hey everyone,

Is it ok to tell a parent when their child smells?    OK, smell may not be the best description- maybe "reeks to the point of eyes watering" is better.  This little girl "Mary" is part of a group I help run through DD's school and is one of her classmates- they are both age 6-7.  Last week we had a meeting, and you could tell that Mary hadn't bathed, or been bathed for quite a while.  One of the other parents mentioned this same issue at her DD's birthday party which had been a month prior. 

I know that one of the other co-leaders (CL) did say something to the dad when he came to pick her up, and his response was "Why, what did she get into tonight?"  CL told him that it wasn't what she got into, it was that she smelled and her hair is hanging in unwashed clumps.  I was glad she spoke up, I never did find out if she came to school bathed the next day or not.  But is it rude to point this out to someone?  He seemed really oblivious to it -even though he was pretty clean, and so were Mary's older sisters that were at the meeting too.

esposita:
If it has been pointed out to him and it didn't do anything, I don't know that it would help to mention it again.

It might be something medical that they can't do anything about.

doodlemor:
That poor, poor little precious child. 

I don't think that this is any longer an etiquette issue, since the father has been informed.  It's hard to think what the home must be like.

I think that someone needs to call Child Protection ASAP, especially if the little girl is home schooled.  I can't imagine why the child's teacher hasn't already reported the situation, unless her parents keep her home.

esposita:

--- Quote from: doodlemor on February 17, 2014, 01:15:52 PM ---That poor, poor little precious child. 

I don't think that this is any longer an etiquette issue, since the father has been informed.  It's hard to think what the home must be like.

I think that someone needs to call Child Protection ASAP, especially if the little girl is home schooled.  I can't imagine why the child's teacher hasn't already reported the situation, unless her parents keep her home.

--- End quote ---

That is an incredible overreaction. What does homeschooling have to do with anything? The OP said this kid was a classmate of her daughter. You would call CPS before even sitting down and asking if this was because of a condition or a medication this girl was taking? Poor girl indeed if CPS is called in to interview her parents about something that might embarrass her horribly.

bonyk:
Does the school have a guidance counselor or nurse?  If not, I would speak to whomever authorized you to run your group at the school and ask for direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version