Author Topic: Crazy coincidences  (Read 8393 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: Crazy coincidences
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
I have two.

When I was in college, I was randomly assigned a roommate.  In talking, we discovered that our moms not only went to the same college at the same time but shared a suite.

When DH and I were on vacation in the Caribbean, we did a lot of scuba diving.  One day, we got on our boat and found ourselves sitting next to the man who taught me how to dive in Hometown.

oogyda

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
At the time, we lived in the middle of the US.  I was working at a bank when a couple came in to set up an account from which to deal with his mother's estate.  When they gave me their address from a state on the east coast, I finished by rattling off the zip code.  They lived in the same town as my in-laws, and attended the same church. 

Oogydh and a co-worker started a job at the same time.  Turns out, they were from the same small town but were about 10 years different in age.  Other co-workers thought they were brothers by the way they talked about the town and many similar experiences. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

twilight

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
My BFF had been having a major crisis of faith.  She had been really down and praying about it but to no avail.  We went to the movies together to see Signs which due to its themes stirred up some of these issues for her.  During the movie she prayed to God and said, "That's it, I am sick of looking for little obscure signs that You are there.  I want a big unmistakable, lightening from heaven type of sign!  Nothing less!"  After she prayed we got to the part of the movie where Mel Gibson says something along the lines of, "Do you see events as signs or are they just coincidences," there was a giant explosion outside the theatre and all of the lights in the theatre and the movie went off and the emergency lights went on.  Turns out that lightening had struck the transformer right outside of our theatre and knocked out the power for the theatre.     

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
My BFF had been having a major crisis of faith.  She had been really down and praying about it but to no avail.  We went to the movies together to see Signs which due to its themes stirred up some of these issues for her.  During the movie she prayed to God and said, "That's it, I am sick of looking for little obscure signs that You are there.  I want a big unmistakable, lightening from heaven type of sign!  Nothing less!"  After she prayed we got to the part of the movie where Mel Gibson says something along the lines of, "Do you see events as signs or are they just coincidences," there was a giant explosion outside the theatre and all of the lights in the theatre and the movie went off and the emergency lights went on.  Turns out that lightening had struck the transformer right outside of our theatre and knocked out the power for the theatre.     

Wow! For the win!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »

Ask and you shall receive :)

emjo306

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
DH had just moved out of our first apartment to a new place way across town, and our (now former) landlord called me regarding the security deposit. She withheld most of the deposit, for reasons I didn't agree with. I was very ticked off at her, and contemplated telling her off (since hey, I'm never going to see this woman again, right?), but decided to keep my mouth shut.

Days later, DH and I were at a well attended football game (probably 50 000+ people)...and guess who was right beside us in line for the concession? Boy, was I ever glad I had decided to be polite despite being angry about the deposit - it saved me from a very awkward time in line!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »
Kind of in line with Twilight's story.

I've been single for a long time, and celibate as a result since I don't do casual.  I was on some on-line dating sites and seriously considering a casual hook-up.  Then I went to church for the first time in a long time.  And the sermon was on the evils of fornication.  I took it as a sign...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
I when I was in JH there was a boy that was very irritating. His first name was the same as the then president's last name. So we always called him by his full name. I was telling my parents about him. Of course he turned out to be a distant cousin.

My great aunt and uncle have a nephew on great aunt's side of the family named Steve Shalwell (names changed but difference is same),  who has Mother named Beverly. They also have a great- nephew (by marriage) named Steve Caldwell, who has a Mother named Beverly. They lived near each other. They don't run in the same circles, but their circles intersect. Both moms were part of the same big charity, but didn't know each other. The men are even similar in build and coloring. This has led to several time them being mistaken for each other, but they didn't know each other. It even happened back in HS before they were "related" by marriage. It went on for years, before one  of the confused identifications came to the attention of great aunt and uncle. That is when they found out about each other.

Some neighbors from San Angelo, Texas stopped for food at a Tim Horton's on PEI. Three blond kids ran up and wanted to know if they knew Aunt (MOm's first name) and Uncle (Dad's first name). The Tim Horton's was across the street from Mom's youngest brother's house.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gmatoy

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
We were at a major league baseball game with DD and DSIL, when he says, "I think I see someone from my condo building in Chicago." So he gets up and walks down to where the person is sitting and it is his former neighbor. But... we live 2000 miles away from Chicago and there was not a Chicago team playing!  But that is the way he is...knows everyone and is always finding people in out of way places!

My story: I was in the Army, marching to classes in Texas, when a company of men marched past us. One of them was from my high school! We met up that evening and did a "catch up on everyone."

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »
My mother taught with a young woman in Louisiana for a year. A few years later, my older brother started doing research with her father in New York. A year after that, I started grad school with her sister in California. This year, a book shop opened in my mother's neighborhood in North Carolina and it's owned by the original woman from Louisiana.

bridalviolet

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »
I had two great-aunts (both now deceased) who would usually talk on the phone once a week. Either A would call B, or vice versa, about the same time on the same day every week. One day A picked up the phone, dialed B's number, and waited for it to ring. It didn't, there was just silence. A mumbled to herself, "Well, this is odd, I wonder why it isn't ringing," and then heard B's voice saying, "A? Is that you?" B had picked up her phone to dial A just as A was dialing B, so that they were connected without the phone ever ringing.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
Back in the late 1960s, the air conditioning in a popular summer playhouse caught fire and the theater had to be evacuated.  The play was 'Summer and Smoke'. 

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »
Kind of in line with Twilight's story.

I've been single for a long time, and celibate as a result since I don't do casual.  I was on some on-line dating sites and seriously considering a casual hook-up.  Then I went to church for the first time in a long time.  And the sermon was on the evils of fornication.  I took it as a sign...

Last Sunday morning, I woke up early and watched the movie "Lunopolis" on Netflix.  It's about this secret government installation on the moon, and an ancient civilization living there.  I don't normally watch movies like that, but it is shot in that faux documentary style I like, and it did turn out to be interesting.

Later that morning, I went to church.  Father opened his homily by talking about...the Apollo 11 Moon landing!  It actually segued well into the message he was imparting, but I thought, wow, of all the topics he could have discussed, it's kind of cool he chose this one.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Hillia

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »

Some years ago I was a single mom struggling with finances.  I did have a good job but there were many pressures, and things were looking bleak.  I decided to stop worrying and offer my situation to God.  The next day - I was laid off   ::)  Not quite the answer I was looking for, but it ultimately did lead to my meeting DH and getting my life back.
Ask and you shall receive :)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GregariousIntrovert

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
In China, when my group of Americans met another group from the States in the upstairs of a Korean church.  We did the "Where are you from?" thing, and the young woman next to me replied "I'm from Strongville, Ohio, but you've never heard of that".  It's across town from where I grew up.

Is it a crazy coincidence that Strongsville, OH is where I live!?

Maybe not the craziest of coincidences, but I found out after the fact that I moved into a house formerly owned by a coworkers sister and brother in law.  It is very convenient when I still get semi-important mail for them!  They even called me once because they were going to be in town and wanted to measure their old shed so they could build a new one.

Creepy coincidence also related to moving - when I was young, shortly after we moved into our new house, our elderly neighbor came by and asked if they could borrow my little brother to climb through the window as they had locked themselves out.  After we got the lock sorted out, we did the typical get to know your neighbors chat.  My dad felt he recognized her, but couldn't place her.  It turns out she was a friend of my grandfather's who was in the car with him when he was killed in a car accident about 10 years prior.  WEIRD!