Author Topic: Eating a present you gave someone  (Read 10804 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Eating a present you gave someone
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
It sounds like grandma makes her own cookies and brings them for herself, grandpa, and everyone else to share.  She picks the shortbread because it is loved by her son and granddaughter.

Where she is failing is in not remembering that three year olds are extremely literal. 

If she hand the grandchild a small container with a few cookies and keeps the rest "for everybody else" - then the grandchild would be happy because she had her very own cookies made by Grandma just for her.  The fact that there were three or four times as many cookies in the bigger box for everyone else would be fine...she has her very own cookies.

Grandma may mean "I made these cookies because they are your favorite and we will all be eating them while Grandma & Grandpa are here" - but three year olds focus on what you said...not what you "meant".  And Grandma is indeed setting herself up to be taken with a grain of salt (and disbelief) by her granddaughter in future years....all over not bringing four to six more cookies in a small container for the granddaughter to have her OWN cookies - or setting some aside for her to make sure that she gets some of those "family" cookies that Grandma keeps dipping into as if she was still at home in her own kitchen.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

onikenbai

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »
Or one of you has cold hands (or a marble counter that stays cold) and the other has warm hands so that the fat melts a bit as it is being handled.

I learned from reading a book on Science in the Kitchen, that pie crust has to be worked with COLD fat to get a light & flaky crust.  The colder the fat (but not frozen) the better, to a degree.  Same with Southern (USA) style biscuits - made with soft flour.  The more you work the dough, the more the fat melts and the further from the desired degree of light & flaky the baked goods will end up.

Bread dough with yeast NEEDS to be worked with to get the most gluten to form for a lighter product.

Yep I add extra shortening and put my pie crust in the fridge for as long as I can before baking and it is super flaky and light.

Strangely enough, I can make pastry no problem and my mother can't to save her life.  Shortbread yes, pastry no.  Yes, I realise they are essentially the same thing, but don't tell her that.

Kariachi

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »

ETA - thinking on it, I don't know that I would ever expect an entire batch of cookies to be just for a three year old.  That's a lot of cookies for one person.  In general though, when house guests bring food of a good quantity to the house, we all usually end up eating it together so maybe that's just what I'm used to.

Exactly. If she'd brought a pan of her son's favourite lasagne with her and said "I've brought you your favourite lasagne!" no one would think he was supposed to eat the whole thing alone.

The fact the 3 year old is taking it literally could be addressed in lots of ways. I'd just tell Grandma up front that the kid is misunderstanding so let's be careful how to speak about the cookies.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the lasagna comparison really works.

1) Lasagna is not a typical gift item. At least in my area nobody is going to mistake lasagna for a gift because in normal circumstances it simply isn't one. Cookies, on the other hand, are an extremely common gift item, so it makes perfect sense for someone to take Grandma's phrasing as gifting to a single person.

2) Lasagna is a 'meal' item, while cookies are more a 'snack' item. Meal items are, when it comes to a household, generally expected to be shared and in fact not generally expected to be. Kind of a gray area.

A better comparison would be bringing, say, homemade beef jerky and presenting it as a gift to a particular person. The fact is, she's taking a popular gift item, presenting it to a particular person as 'for them' and then digging in like she owns it.

To use your lasagna comparison- this is like if Grandma brought a lasagna, told her son it was for him, then popped it in the oven without his or the OP's knowledge, while most of the household was gone and, when it came out, served herself and her husband each over a quarter of it, leaving them the leftovers.

Oh, and we have to assume that she's bringing a smaller lasagna in the first place, maybe the size of those frozen lasagnas, since she's only bringing a small amount.

Also, when I make cookies, I can't get 32 to last longer than three days(tops!) with three adults in the house, how long is Grandma expecting 20 to last between four adults and a toddler?

*The contents of this post are based on my limited experience: Experiences may vary with locale and culture*
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
The other big difference between something like lasagna and something like shortbread is that lasagna can only be kept for a few days before it goes bad. Shortbread can be kept for a much longer period of time.

So if I give someone a pan of lasagna as a gift, it would be marginally ridiculous for anyone to expect that person to eat every last bite of it. Unless it was so small it only had one serving, most people would not want (or maybe even be able) to eat several servings of lasagna in the short time before it went bad. So of course you'd share it with whoever else was in your house, because that's the easiest way to make sure it all gets eaten.

But 20 shortbread cookies? If you ate one every few days (say, 4 per week), you'd still finish it all within a month or so. Unless I'm mistaken, that's not an unreasonable amount of time for shortbread as a food to stay good (especially if you freeze it).