News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 10:52:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When you see someone you know on TV  (Read 8620 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
When you see someone you know on TV
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:50:25 AM »
I used to work for a hospital and as a result I know a lot of doctors. One day I was in the kitchen but had the TV on in the living room. I heard a familiar voice; hmmm....I go look at the TV and there is one of my former residents on one of those medical mystery type shows. I hadn't seen him for four or five years, but I really got a kick out of it. Another time I saw someone that my DH knows (that I've met a couple of times) on a documentary-type show discussing something about the history of my area. We found it amusing because this guy is a self-styled expert and we wondered how he was able to weasel his way into a program like that.   :)  Have you got any stories?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

shadowfox79

Re: When you see someone you know on TV
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
I went to school with a guy who is now an actor. Not a big name by any means - he mostly does local rep theatre.

He did, however, get a one-line part in the movie "John Carter" opposite Taylor Kitsch. Now that was a surprise.

He was also in a car advert which was featured on the Lolcats site for some time. Felt a little strange to be watching him online!

Thipu1

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
I worked in a library which specialized in the ancient world.  We'd frequently have scholars visit and it was the usual thing to call in lunch when they did. 

It's a little odd to watch a show on the History Channel or NatGeo and see people with whom you've shared pizza or Chinese food.  It does take away a bit from the show when an expert comes on screen and all you can think of is, 'Zahi always ordered General Tso's chicken' or 'Bob would never eat from a paper plate or use plastic utensils'. 

It's also fun to see how people have changed over the years. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:05:06 AM by Thipu1 »

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »
There was a national commercial running for Advance that involved someone holding a fish.  I don't remember the details, but I went to college with the fish holder.

Another time, there was a Wal-mart commercial that ran in my market area featuring a guy that graduated with me from high school.

Several months ago, I was on Jeopardy.  The next day, while at work, I got a call from a sales rep I deal with on a regular basis.  She had been half paying attention when she heard my name and profession - and realized I had to be the same person.

Luci

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
My uncle was on "America's Most Wanted" once - he was the interviewee who said, "He seemed to be a nice guy; worked hard; kept to himself." That was aired shortly after Uncle passed away, so it was kind of nice to hear his voice again.

A coworker was interviewed about someone who had been convicted of a white collar crime. Always gracious, the man talked about how surprised he was, man came from a fine family, and sympathized with the family. I couldn't imagine anyone else doing that interview and was glad the station thought it was worth airing.

I always enjoy when one of you posts that your book was published or you got a gig on a commercial. Thanks for that.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »
A set of twins I was in uni with turned up on 'The Jeremy Kyle show' as one of them wanted to stop doind p*rn with her sister - I cringed.
I love you, but if Zombies are chasing us I'm tripping you up.

rose red

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
I worked with a guy who was in a Empire Carpet commercial.

In high school, one of my classmates was on a show with a bunch of other teenagers talking about music.  I was watching it and thinking "Hey, I know that hair" and sure enough, it was her.

jaxsue

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »
My X-DH had a cousin who was on "Carnie" TV show many years ago. Cousin and her husband were in contract with a pregnant teenager to adopt her baby. Said teenager changed her mind, and so they all appeared on the show, with the goal of cousin and her DH to confront the teenager. It was painful to watch. Cousin said that they were encouraged to fight and get emotional.  :P

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:14 AM »
Several months ago, I was on Jeopardy.  The next day, while at work, I got a call from a sales rep I deal with on a regular basis.  She had been half paying attention when she heard my name and profession - and realized I had to be the same person.

Did I miss that? I don't remember reading about it on the boards! Was it awesome? What was Alex Trebek like?

My X-DH had a cousin who was on "Carnie" TV show many years ago. Cousin and her husband were in contract with a pregnant teenager to adopt her baby. Said teenager changed her mind, and so they all appeared on the show, with the goal of cousin and her DH to confront the teenager. It was painful to watch. Cousin said that they were encouraged to fight and get emotional.

What was the end result? Did the teenager end up keeping the baby or did the couple get to adopt?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Alli8098

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »
Slightly off topic, I haven't really seen anyone I know on TV.  Unless you count a former client from a company I used to work for on the news.  Or I should say I saw his picture in a non-flattering news story. But I have heard people I know on the radio.  Before our DD was born DH and I used to spend a lot of time going to concerts especially for our local bands.  One band we knew was on the local radio station in a "battle of the bands" contest that lasted over a month.  We tried to catch them whenever we could because as fate would have it the lead vocalist and the guitar players girlfriend were responsible for DH and I meeting one another at a concert where they were the opening band.  The vocalist gave DH a ticket, and the girlfriend introduced me to DH.

The other band we know was picked up by a record label and was featured in a few concert series that tours the U.S. during the summer.  The drummer who was also the backup vocalist is a close friend of DH and his former roommate.  And eventually became a good friend of mine as well.  So it was kind of cool to hear him on the radio.

Now back to the topic!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
Also a Jeopardy sighting; a "kid" who lived across the street from me growing up. I'm only 3-4 years older than he is but it was funny to see him. I didnt really know him at all, but I knew he was smart, and he won quite a bit of money in a several-day winning streak.

My friend's DH and his football buddies. They were interviewed by the local news on a segment about tailgating. Before the new stadium was built, they had season tix, and would tailgate before every game, and then go. Now, they just go and tailgagte! It was funny since I was like, WAIT, I KNOW HIM!

MyFamily

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 12:23:11 PM »
Did any of you see the Christmas Jammies video that 'went' viral around Christmas this year - former newscaster from NC, along with his wife and two kids?  Yeah, he was a year behind me in high school.

*and went is in quotes because he was leaving his job to start a marketing firm with his wife - somehow I don't think this just happened to have accidently gone viral.  I'm quite sure some thought, time and effort was put into making that happen.  Still a cute, funny video, though.
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

doodlemor

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
For two years I sat beside a girl in junior high school chorus who went on to an important role in a Broadway musical.  How interesting it was to hear her very familiar voice on the album!

Coralreef

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
When DD was young, she was featured in a kid's show.  We had the CBC (French one) troop all over our house and yard  ;D.  When it aired, the phone rang off the hook for the rest of the day. I really need the Ex to find that tape so I can have it transfered to DVD.

"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »
I was interviewed for a short local news segment about planning a wedding on a budget. When it finally aired a few months later, I got several people coming up to me the next few days who'd been watching the news that night and saw that and said "Hey wait a second! I know her from work!"
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture