News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:48:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When you see someone you know on TV  (Read 8619 times)

nuit93

Re: When you see someone you know on TV
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
Well, just yesterday I saw a video clip of an ex of mine (we're still friends).  He got a spot on a local public broadcasting network cooking show.  Kind of neat to see, though I was more drawn to the recipe than the fact that he still looks pretty good over a decade later.

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »
DH and I were watching "Snapped" and he was shocked to see a girl he went to high school with featured. She was the "Scrapbook Killer".

Around Christmastime last year, our local news would send out their helicopter and feature a different house each night that had decorated. One evening we kept hearing a helicopter flying over our neighborhood and thought something bad had happened (police chase, accident, etc.). We turned on the news and saw an aerial view of our house a few minutes later with one of the newscasters commenting on our lights.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:26:24 PM by Crazy Chicken Lady »

YoginiSaysYes

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
When I was in middle school and MTV was The Coolest Thing, they had a talk show hosted by Mandy Moore during the summer season. I was in Santa Monica with my friend and our mothers, and we got stopped by an MTV crew who interviewed my friend and I with random questions like "what's the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you?" and "what's the best piece of gossip you've heard lately?" They showed snippets of these interviews before and after commercial breaks. I was on a handful of times, and every time I'd get phone calls from random classmates like, "WERE YOU JUST ON MTV?"

I was really cool for like, a month.

A girl I knew in elementary school is trying to be an actress now and I saw her on episodes of "New Girl" and "How I Met Your Mother". Oh, and I saw a guy I went on a date with on "HIMYM" too.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »
We used to be down-the-street neighbors with the spokesman for our state DOT; he's on during bad weather, construction, holiday traffic, etc.

I was kind of on TV.  Our community television station broadcasts City Council meetings, and I testified on a project up for a vote that evening.  A few days later, I'm walking into a supermarket and a man I didn't recognize greeted me by name on his way out:  "Ms. So-And-So!  I saw you on TV!  I agree with you!"

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »
One of my best friends from high school was in the Miss America pageant - she got first runner up!

nuit93

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »
DH and I were watching "Snapped" and he was shocked to see a girl he went to high school with was featured. She was the "Scrapbook Killer".

Creepy!

Alli8098

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
One of my best friends from high school was in the Miss America pageant - she got first runner up!

I totally forgot, I think it was the 2010 Miss America Pageant and I had known one of the contestants.  The contestant was the younger sister of my best friend in high school.  The last time I saw her was when she was I think 10 years old.  She grew up to be a very beautiful, talented, and well-spoken young woman.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »
My big claim to fame was when I was a teenager.  My friends and I decided to do the March of Dimes walkathon and they did a shot of the crowd walking and there we were, front and center!  It appeared on TV during the evening news, which was pretty cool.

lkdrymom

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
I went to a family reunion with my first husband many years ago.  I never seemed to mesh well with my husband's relatives so I was very happy to meet a teen aged cousin of his who seemed very nice.  Imagine my shock a year later when I see this young man on the news after he commited some heinous crime.

Not a person but a place...if anyone is familiar with the tv show "Too Cute"....I've been to the Maine Coon house that is outside Philadelphia. After that show she had a waiting list a mile long. Still does.

carol1412

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »
Went to high school with a guy who was on All My Children as Erica's long-time love. He's now doing regional theater around the country. I also see quite a few people I know in concert videos airing on our PBS station - usually around Christmas, Easter and 4th of July.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
DH went to high school with and was very close friends through their mid-twenties with Wayne Brady, of "Who's Line is it Anyway" fame.

Several of my professors have documentaries on Discovery channel about anthropology. Always interesting to see my professors on television.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »
Until BabySnakes posting, I had forgotten that I had been on TV!!

DH and I had taken a trip to NYC, and they were doing "man-on-the-street" interviews for a judge show.  We were on for two cases.  Found out when it aired and recorded it.  Is on VHS, prolly need to convert it.  :)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

veronaz

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 02:32:45 PM »
DH went to high school with and was very close friends through their mid-twenties with Wayne Brady, of "Who's Line is it Anyway" fame.

Several of my professors have documentaries on Discovery channel about anthropology. Always interesting to see my professors on television.

I really like Wayne Brady!  Loved his talk show, which didn't last long.  I din't see him much because I don't watch "Let's Make A Deal".  He replaced Monty Hall, so he is doing okay.    ;)

Thipu1

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »
One Friday evening we were at a local bar where we often met friends for a cocktail before going to dinner together. As usual at that time of day, the TV was tuned to the local news. There was a story on the show about a new city regulation regarding bars.  We weren't paying much attention until someone from the other end of the small bar yelled, 'Hey! Mr. Thipu, that's you!'

Danged if it wasn't.  The station was using stock footage of people enjoying a drink in a pub.   The scene was a place that Mr. Thipu and his friends from work would go for a pint after work on Friday afternoons and yes, they were all there.  We could pick out at least four other people we knew at the table.

It was perfectly innocent.  No one was drunk or disorderly.  Still, it was weird because Mr. Thipu  and the others in the clip never knew they were being filmed.

We have no idea how many other times that stock footage was used by the station.           

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
It's not something most people watch, but the second most viewed US based Catholic television station had a relationship with a former employer.  I knew all the special guests that were interviewed on their local talk show, as most worked in my office.  Whenever they did a local Mass, I knew all the clergy as well.  I once had a candidate for a job I was hiring ask if I could get his grandma and great aunt into the 'audience' for one of the televised Masses that the station recorded.  (No problem!  And if either had spoken English, I could have gotten them to do the readings.)

My last dog (Morty) had a five second shot in a Political Action Committee piece on a candidate.  At that time, the dog and I lived in a state that was not politically in line with that candidate.  Family members in a different politically aligned state kept calling me and my parents saying that they had seen me and Mort (I was in a brief zoom into Morty shot) on tv and it took us WEEKS to figure out what they were talking about!  Finally, a co-worker with the Dish saw it and told me the PAC and the candidate so I could see it!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:48:21 PM by Morty'sCleaningLady »
Formerly Mrs.Bart